Epoxy board repair

Hi,

Sadly, I dinged my epoxy board with a rock the other day, and I have some questions.

So far, i have repaired poly pu boards, replacing foam with qcell, resin, glass fiber cloth, hot coat and sanding.

Epoxy repairing is new for me, i have epoxy resin, fiber, qcell and tints to match the color. The damaged part is already sanded.

Is in this particular case qcell really necessary?

I found a couple of some small scratches on the rail and the rocker, i didn’t take pictures of those though. I tried the old trick with the mouth, and they’re not getting water inside.

Should i hot coat these spots with some thin fiber just in case, or maybe just resin?

For color match, should i try and use tints with resin or just apply some acrylic paint later?

Thank you all,

For that one I’d remove any damaged glass and fill it with a mix of epoxy and chopped up glass.  Then I’d just sand it and paint it with acrylic paint to match as close as I could.

Thank you. Does acrylic paint need some sort of seal? Clear acrylic lacquer, or maybe an epoxy hot coat?

do as you would with a poly board. Fill (I’m a fan of white gorilla glue rather than using resin plus powder or fibers), sand to shape, glass over with epoxy. Add your tint to the lamination only, it will be a little darker at the edges where you have an overlap/double layer, feather the edges, hot/fill coat, sand, gloss -you know how it goes. The only difference is you’re using epoxy resin rather than polyester.  

As for the scratches, if you really want to, sand very lightly, and flow on a little clear resin. Though I would try a little polishing first, see if they just go away.

hope that’s of use

doc… 

Do as you would normally do a Poly repair.  It’s going to show no matter what.  The color is in the tint ot the lamination(ie in the cloth).  To help cover it up; go darker rather than lighter.  Tape off around the repair and razor cut your cloth at the tape line.  The same way you would cut a lap.  Be careful when sanding not to sand off the pin line.  You want to avoid redoing the pin if you can.  I would sand and put a piece of 4oz. Over any scratches. Better safe than sorry.  Lowel.   PS--  it is possible to use paint to hide this ding.   That process would be to fill the ding. Cover with clear 4oz.  Hot coat , sand totally smooth to 220.  With a matched flat acrylic paint fog the area using a cup gun.  Fade the edges of the paint, do not paint all the way out to your tape off.   Cover the painted repair with 4oz.    Hot coat and sand.   Clear coat with rattle can satin.   This method is your best shot a hiding a ding like that.

Thank you for all your help.

What brand is this board? Most of the molded boards like Surftech have a polyurethane paint for the color.

There is no tint on this board. It has an opaque color and there is a big difference between the two.

It’s a Torq. Maybe an sppecific polyurethane paint exists, but i won’t find it in my country. It’s even hard to find 4-6 oz cloth.

Hi, to my surprise, when i started sanding i realize the nose is protected with a thick layer of epoxy (not directly to the foam, pretty sturdy board). I removed the damaged part, filled with epoxy+qcell+carbosil to make a putty and sanded to shape.

I tried coloring the lam resin, but i didn’t like the result. I will use acrylic paint.

So far so good. Thanks for the advice.

What’s up with that?   Those CCP Torq boards aren’t supposed to ding.

hahaha… i have repaired alot of torks.

but to be honest im pretty impressed with the construction.

i repair way more big brands, mostly blown fin boxes that come out clean. (no sanding, no bond)

Basically aren’t those fin boxes glued in.   Epoxy with no cloth or milled fiber?  So they come out pretty easily?  Kidding aside;  I made a living On Maui repairing mostly Surftechs and Boardworks.  Of which Torq is just another of the same type.   

A very evil and large set came and i couldn’t hold onto the board. I guess i didn’t fasten the leash correctly to my ankle because it released. The wave took the board full speed to the shore (100% rocky beach) and left it like a stranded ship over some rocks. I think it could’ve been a lot worse. Considering is just a small ding in the nose.

filler up with some cat litter mixed with epoxy 

Yep, same for me, torq boards are often well made than most  licensed “big names” sold at high price. Correct shapes too.