Logo lamination on top of Resin Panel?

Hey folks, I’m doing a yellow pigmented lamination (epoxy on EPS) but the rice paper logo I want to put on is too similar to the lam color and will be partially washed out if I do it under the pigmented lam or even over the lam with a 4 oz clear lamination. My solution was goint to be to put a white resin panel on after the seal coat, but I’m not sure if you can laminate a logo on top of a resin panel. I checked the archives but couldn’t find anything. Apologies if there is a thread that I missed. I hope this makes sense. Essentially I am asking if you can laminate a logo onto a resin panel or not. The logo is circular and about three inches diameter and the resin panel will be a white diagonal stripe eabout 8 inches wide running rail to rail on the bottom.

Thanks!

–Ryan

Why not paint the back of your “oval” logo white.  Then scissor cut around the border of the oval.  Apply it to the board without the white diagonal stripe.  If you do the white diagonal stripe, be sure you do the stripe in laminating resin.  Do not apply the logo to sanding resin or gloss resin.  If for some reason you must do that, be sure you sand the stripe really well.  Otherwise your 4oz patch and the logo will delaminate and peel.  I had a run of laminate/logos with white backgrounds within the black line of my oval border done just for darker colored boards.  They really pop.   If you spray the back of the logo use a flat white latex paint.  Let it dry throughly and then trim the excess rice paper around the logo boarder.  Should do the trick.  No need for the white stripe.  Lowel

Thanks MicDing, I’ve done that before but this logo is a little tricky. The logo (attached) has some transparent parts to it (the transparent is in gray), plus, as you can see, the top stripe is yellow and I wanted the board to be yellow too. I thought it would be cool to do a big diagonal stripe in white from rail to rail and then the transparent parts will read as white (which is what I want). 

Personally, I would paint the back of the logo white and carefully cut it out.

As for your resin panel idea, sure you can put your logo on top of it.  Two options:

1.  Laminate your logo on top of the panel with a patch of 2 oz cloth over it.

2.  Laminate your logo using a scrap of 6oz cloth.  When the left over resin in the cup starts to gel, carefully peel the 6oz cloth off of the board leaving behind the lam.  Then proceed as usual.  I’ve not done this with epoxy but it works perfect with poly and leaves a really crisp looking logo.  With this method you just have to be careful when sanding that you don’t sand your logo off.  If you’ve ever done a ding repair on a production board where the logo sands off before you hit the cloth, this is how the logos were done.

Awesome. Thanks Mako. I thought I saw someone on YouTube do the peel-off method but I when I went back to look again, I couldn’t find it. Thanks for the confirmation!

– Ryan