Downwind Paddleboard

heck yeah!!! Love the inlay big hoss…

how big is that thing ? And did you glue up the blank or ?

Nice Mark.   I’ve got a similar blank waiting for my attention.  Man!  That pattern makes me dizzy.  But looks great from a distance.  Lowel

14 feet long, US Blanks glued it up, to a sled profile I drew up for them.  It was cheaper than  buying just the foam myself.  Next time, no stringer.  It is so thick, it doesn’t need one

Silk screen on nylon.  The printing alone took 2 days

Do you think sometimes to make them hollow for better weight /strengh ratio?

For near 1 years know I move from surfing to flat water windsurfing, way to much people surfing here since covid. But because I live in low wind place and don’t want to start with foil and wing, the new trick everyone go know, I come back to raceboard windsurf, 10/12 feet 200/300 liter range. I do one like a surfboard with foam sandwich and carbon, around 14kg, but I can’t stop to think to go hollow, something like old Salomon score, an hollow foam blank, with a 10kg max target… I bet it can do it for those kind of flat water paddel you build. Note easier, not standard way, but I know that like me it’s not what scared you. Sorry if I put in your head a new " wrong idea" LOL… 

Hi everysurfer , I think I remember you saying that you needed to pre wet the nylon material befor glassing , 15 ft of cloth is a lot of weight and you would have be speedy to get that glassed befor it started to go off , well done .

Easier than you might think.

Plywood tabletop, covered in 4 mil painters plastic.  The cloth is rolled up.  Roll out the first 4 feet to your left.  Wet it with epoxy.  Roll up the wet epox to your left, and unroll 4 more feet from your right.  Wet out the next 4 feet, and roll it to your left. Keep repeating until all the cloth is wet, and rolled up on your left side.

Huge tip.  The cloth is a really tight weave.  Epoxy really doest want to soak into it from the top.  Pour the epoxy onto the table, lay the cloth onto the epoxy,  and with the squeegee,  force the epoxy up through the cloth. 

It takes only about ten minutes to wet out 15 feet of cloth.  That leaves you plenty of time to get it onto the board, roll it out, cover in peel ply/ bleeder, and get it into the bag.

Great tips on wet out.

Interesting project.

The board and pattern look great!  Nice work