This one started the same way, finished blank that I deemed too narrow so I bailed on it until I decided what to do with it. My solution here was to go the opposite of the last board and instead add width in the center as opposed to the rails. I read through a lot of old posts about using xps insulation foam as a board building material and decided to go with it. I was a little worried about delams on it but when I watched the stab magazine special where Jake Vincent bought (and ripped) the board yorky did a build thread on a few years ago I figured it was legit. Great build thread and video for those who haven't seen it.
anyway I dumpster dived some construction sites at a nearby new development for some 2" thick green xps. I think it 1.5lb/ft^3 so I planned on adding strength during glassing. I also couldn't find a full 6' piece so I had to glue up two smaller sections with a scarf joint. This time I used gorilla glue so it would be easier to shape
From here I cut the poly blank down the stringer, and then used the wooden stringer as a template to draw on the xps. When I cut it out I went wide to make sure it would be thick enough. I then glued it up and made sure the rockers matched this time
The original board was a fishtail but I wanted a squash on this one so I used offcuts of pu to extend the tail. I think the finished blank was 21"+ so I had some width to work with. Here's the new cut out shape. At this point all I had to do was minimal rail shaping to get it ready to be glassed
Finished shape. Again dap fast n final was used to fill any holes. You can see where I used it on the finished blank because the paint is lighter in those areas.
For the paint I got a large thing of sky blue acrylic at Walmart for $4 and added green until I got a color I liked. I rolled it on with a foam roller and let it dry with a box fan before setting my fin boxes. I also had some basalt strips that I've had laying around for years that I used to hopefully add some stringer strength (and because they're super trendy right now)
Glass schedule for this was 4/4+6 epoxy with 4oz strips down the center on each side. Feels like a regular poly board underarm and sufficiently stiff enough. All that was left was to sand and add another Amazon track pad and she's ready to surf. I'll go out here in a few and report back tonight how she goes
Great way to salvage trash boards, hone shaping skills and creativity. I like the way you added scrap foam. Endless design possibilities there.
No; It's not an ironing board.
Very well done and a nice save.
That which can be assorted without evidence was read in an illegal magazine.
I'm digging the new board. Waves were marginal but for June on the east coast I'll take it. Structurally it felt fine, no flex underfoot whatsoever, and felt like a regular stringered poly board. Not a big eps fan so that was something I was worried about by adding the xps stringer. Lower volume for sure but It's in line with the other trash board and where I want to go in the future. Felt a little sticky on turns due to single concave throughout. Normally I do single under the front foot to double/vee out the tail so it's just a new feeling, and something ive wanted to try but have been scared to do. Figure this would be a good board to do it on since there really isn't any loss if I don't like it, just the cost of the resin and knockoff future boxes. Pumps down the line really well but I feel you don't get the pivot you do with the vee. But that might change with a center fin swap. I'm excited to try it in larger, punchier surf.