First tint job - colour mix

Hi folks,

am about to shape my third board and would like to try my first tint job. I have one slightly stupid question: how domi make sure i get exactly the same colour on bottom and deck lamination? Do you mix tin with resin for both and then seperate it in two and add the catalyst only to the half, keeping the rest? 

Not stupid at all. Good thinking. Nobody really measures stuff out consistently enough to get it exact otherwise.

Go a little over on quantity, you don’t want to have to make it up if you run short.  Better to waste some resin than have some odd piebald patches. 

You’ll get double tint where it laps but there’s really no way to avoid that, as I’m sure you know. A nice clean cut lap, it’ll look good. 

hope that’s of use

doc…

With Poly it is simple;  pour off enough resin to do both sides into a clean container.  Add pigment or tint. Stir really well and check color for consistency.   Now split the resin into two parts equally the same.  Catalyze one part and do the bottom.  Then after the lap is cut and the resin set, flip the board and use the other half to do the deck.  Epoxy is a more difficult process and not as likely to turn out as well as Poly