Mismatched channels - oops

What’s up all. I really kooked it on this one.

supposed to be a twin fin with 1/8" tow. I matched the channels to the tow but accidentally marked one side at 1/4" and didn’t double check before shaping in the channels. 

what should I do w this board? I was thinking either finless or make it a single fin, or??? Any thoughts?

new kind of asymm… with one fin at 1/4" tow and the other at 1/8" … haha :frowning:

here’s a photo from the nose where it’s painfully obvious.

sand them off and blend it in for some kick in the tail 

You can adjust the 1/8 tow on that to 1/4 easily - I would definatly be pushing the tow in a little more anyway…1/8" is very subtle. Just measure the and mirror the side with more, it’ll be a great board!

tenderloin - ha i suppose i could go that route, thanks for the thought.

Mason - I guess it could be altered to 1/4" if I started at the front of the channel and blended it back. I’m not sure that 1/4" isn’t a bit excessive, but maybe we have different preferences.  I could also place the side bites at a place where they could be ridden as twins or 2+1 and add a single box for a little versatility, and really figure out how i feel about twins at 1/4"… hmmm

Thanks for chiming in

Give it a try and see what it feels like…might jive with you! fun to experiment either way.

Look forward to seeing what you try/end up with either way.

Probably will surf great.

Did my best to match them up… a bit longer than I intended but that’s all right. 

still not sure about fins now, might get the glassers opinion. Seems like anything would work

Thanks all

Hello; those channels look good but the angle of the deep part seems complicated to laminate without using too much resin. The resin/glass ratio will be not so good there.

For a thruster the front edge of the side fins 1/4 more to the tip of the nose than the trailing edge would be good if the shape is not too short but I guess that if some one shapes a channeled board is for the toobs not for hot dogging small wave surfing.

Angle because of the vee, angle of the channel itself, or angle as in the tow? I softened up the edges on the channels today. 

I always kinda thought channels were just a sexy more direct alternative to concave. 

it’s a 6’6 and the more I think about it, the more attractive the single fin option becomes, and then it really would be a point and shoot. Alternatively I have a 7’0 oak foils 6 channel, and it’s great for getting back up to speed after stalling, but also it goes great in small waves too. 

Hi; sorry for the delay. I meant the angle of the deep part of the channels edges.

Yes; do it single but single “in line” I used it for about 3 years in mid 90s and was a blast. Holds better than a single fin and is way fast (intrinsically) then started to ride bonzer set up (that is kind of a single fin on steroids) but if not I would keep with the single in line.

Reverb- what’s a single fin “in line”? Like an in-line skate? That’s what I think of…

Hello; yes; is a main fin with an smaller fin in the same line at a distance not so far away to still working as a cluster.

In my opinion, is an enhanced single fin performance.

I used it in a 6 3 when the boards were to narrow and thin in the 90s, as a main board to ride normal surf conditions.