Vintage Hansen

I just picked up this vintage Hansen a few days ago and was hoping someone here would be able to tell me a bit more about the board.  Unfortunately there does not appear to be a serial number on the tailblock or stringer, or if there was one it is so faded now I cannot read it.

Thanks

Aloha Matterhorn,

For me, ‘‘the tailblock tells the tale’’, on this board.      In or around late may of 1965, we stopped using a Balsa strip between the GLASS TAILBLOCK, and the foam where it mounts to the board.    The fin in it’s present form, appears to be a reshape of the original ‘‘standard’’  D  fin.      This was commonly done to existing boards, as higher aspect ratio fins came into vogue.    So,  my conclusion is, that your board dates from sometime in 1964, to early/mid 1965.      I’m sure there is a number on the board, but every so often, one of the shapers would forget to put the number on the board.     Me among them.     I hope that is helpful.

My first board was a second hand Hansen. It had no tailblock but it did have a fin that was the reverse colors of this one. Black core and white sides. I also modified the fin similar to what is seen here. It had a typical D fin and I reshaped it by hand with a hacksaw and sandpaper. Lots of work when you have no power tools.  :wink:

I had a fantastic Hansen ‘Ultralight’  that I loved.  Got stolen on the OBX around 1990.  I’m still upset.

Thanks for all of your insight.

Thanks for all of your insight.