Board identification Help

Greetings - I am obviously a new member here and thank everyone in advance for any help. 

I have recently acquired a Velzy longboard from my stepfather that has been lodged under a barn for almost 40 years. He says that it’s from the 60s but doesnt really know anything else. I told him I would look at getting it repaired, either by myself or a pro. I figured it would be an interesting project and I could learn a lot. I am not a huge surf guy historically, I have been bodyboard with a waveskate I picked up earlier in 2022. While not a surf pro, I am pretty good at internet sleuthing but have been unable to find any real information on this board. I have yet to come across a similar picture or pattern. From what I have gathered the ‘Surboards of Champions’ label was for cut out models but thats more or less the extent. My mother in law seems to think its a ‘pig’ board but I don’t think that is right. Im hoping someone here may know more. 

The board itself is pretty beat up overall and has some large dips you can see in the pictures. These were allegedly from getting to close to a heat source. I would like to try to refinish this board myself (plenty of space, time and resources but absolute beginner) but am open to a pro if that’s what it needs, so if you have an opinion on that feel free to chime in.  

Mid 60s popout. What you mistakenly called a “cut out”. Made when Velzy was not involved at all and he had sold the rights to his name to Al Bernard.

This board is not worth spending any time, effort, or money on. It’s best left as is for the sake of novelty.

Thanks, this is was what I suspected after reading about the label and pop outs (sorry learning a new language here).

In terms of being not worth any time, is that rooted in $ value or usability? I’m wondering if it would be worth just experimenting on for learnings sake. one last hail mary before uploading it to Craigslist.

There are a few " nay- sayers" here and please take their comments with a grain of salt.  Anything that old has value to someone.  Perhaps someonthat owned one in his or her youth. Don’t trash it. Try to sell if you do not want it. If you are not proficient at ding repair leave it alone.  The board has history.

Thanks, that makes sense. My first order of business was just identifying it. Now that I have some understanding I may see what I can do about moving it down the line. Anything I would do to it would be in the process of learning so rather not butcher it if it can find a home.

Thanks, that makes sense. My first order of business was just identifying it. Now that I have some understanding I may see what I can do about moving it down the line. Anything I would do to it would be in the process of learning so rather not butcher it if it can find a home.

I guess? The “history” of this board is that it has zero connection to Velzy, other than the label. Additionally, it was a chep piece of crap when it was brand new, and now it’s old crap.

Granted, there are some clueless types out there who buy 60s popouts because they don’t know any better. But in this condition it should be nailed to a fence as a decoration.

If the owner can find a fool that wants to spend money on it, more power to him.

I’d make it water tight and surf it. 

He told me (Dale) the story on this label and the “Surfboard of Champions” once.  It was during that period of time when the IRS was all over him.  They were watching him with regard to manufacture of Surfboards.  I think he said he got a few $$ up front, but expressed that in the long run he got ripped off.  He mentioned the guy by name, but I don’t remember the name.  Seems like he said the guy was out of the Bay Area.

I think I’m going to with this option