Sometimes you get lucky

Decided to answer this Craigslist ad. My hunch was correct. Poor cosmetics but runs smooth. Did I overpay at $100 considering it probably needs the full restoration treatment.?

I think you scored!  Now send it off to Pete C, for beadblast, and a ‘‘Full Monte’’ tuneup.  That’s exactly what I’d do, if it were mine.

Ah man, so jealous! What a great find! Enjoy!

tune up the blades and keep the patina ,maybe a clear coat :slight_smile:

#score 

How much is the Pete C treatment these days? 

I found a thread with this wisdom from Pete. I think a tear down and bearing replacement should be first order at minimum.

I suppose it depends on how ‘‘deep’’ you go into the planer.      I’d take some acetone to the dust chute, and see if the white paint will come off.    Looks like a new cord is in order too.      I’ve got somewhere between 8 and 10,000 boards under my belt, and my Skil 100’s still have the full detent on the front shoe.      Never had a problem adjusting on the fly.     I prefer the detent.     quite easy to feel what you’re doing.       Give Pete a ping, and get some idea from him.       The guy is an F’ing wizard with Skil’s.

No you didn’t pay too munch.  But cosmetically I wonder what the seller’s description would be if were any better.