Glass on fins and delam

Hi, i have a board that someone has at different times and with different products, all poorly done, glassed all 3 fins back on, one at the very least has delamination under it about 3" around, all fins need to be redone and im guessing apon removal ill find more delam, what is the best strength wise way to fix, spread epoxy under existing glass and clamp or full glass removal and re glass the whole area or just under each fin ?

Not sure why you’d use epoxy? Looks like a poly board.

One doesn’t look real bad, but the center and left fin appear to be a real hack job. The only way to do it right would be complete removal of both fins. Remove any loose.delammed glass. Apply new glass where needed, and then do a standard fin installation, same as you would for a new board. Lots of step by step instructions for glass on fins if you use the search function here.

Now there’s an example of an “offset” center fin.

1 Like

Funny thing is the fin on the left that was repaired properly is the one with the biggest delam, so once i dig it all out how would chopped up glass mixed w resin be instead of qcell ? Im thinking it may look better but have never done it, too much weight perhaps as well ?

Went with epoxy as i prefer working with it and its stronger.

Sammy’s suggestion sounds good to me - remove fins, remove delam glass, reglass those areas, reinstall fins.  You ask about filler, but it shouldn’t be necessary for a delam.  Is there a big dent?  If you have a low spot to fill you can use q-cell or cabosil to thicken the resin. But still should be glassed over before attaching the fins.  I use epoxy to repair poly boards all the time, ciz its the only resin I have in my shop.  Works fine, never had any problems.

No dent but if i cut away the delam ill be removing a couple layers of glass n resin, wont be flush anymore nor fill with only one layer of glass, qcell is great but doesn’t look so good on an old yellow board and this be a pretty large area once cut im guessing.

What if i cut glass for just in the opening then laid a larger proper patch overtop all at once to save time  ? Would this work or slop around too much and be a disaster  ?

Yes you’re right one layer of glass probably won’t bring it flush with the surface, so just add a few pieces until it is.  If you feather the edges down around the delam then you can overlap a little and sand everything smooth.  2 or 3 pieces of glass, no big deal, just small patches anyway.  Sand everything flush and then re-attach the fins. Maybe put a tail patch of 4 oz over the whole fin area before attaching the fins, up to you.

In the pic you can see a dark tail patch - I did some remedial work on the fin area, and added a new tail patch with resin tint.  So you could do same thing with clear resin.

Thanks everyone, I’ve had this board for a few years, came with another another board, never rode it because of all the damage, a Roger Hinds 7’6" from back in the Country Boards days, excited to try it out, nice 'n thick should be a fun board.

When I said left fin I meant the one that’s actually on the left side of the board. Since you have the board upside down in the photo it is on the right.

You have to address the delam first. If you don’t the fin will make the glass delam again.
I had a board in the 90s that delamed under the side fin. I had it professionally repaired because I was living where I couldn’t do any work on surfboards, and it was more than I was able to do anyway. The fin pulled the glass up again.
I have a board sitting at home with a similar problem, but while trying to fix it, I had other problems, so I put it on the side and it’s still waiting for me to fix. Most likely going to end up with box fins.