wooden bonzer

Hi I have attached some pics of a Bonzer I made a little while ago for a local surfer, its pretty small just 5’11" in length.
The construction is thin ply over an EPS core, and the rails are solid Iroko, which is a boat building off cut I get from a local timber yard.
It weighs just under 4kg. I haven’t glassed it as I’m relying on the strenghth of the rails and ply, I just sealed the wood with a 2 pk PU yacht varnish.

[img_assist|nid=1042850|title=front|desc=bonzer|link=none|align=left|width=45|height=100][img_assist|nid=1042851|title=fins|desc=bonzer|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=72][img_assist|nid=1042852|title=back|desc=bonzer|link=none|align=left|width=40|height=100]Here they are!

[img_assist|nid=1042855|title=back|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=202|height=482]

[img_assist|nid=1042854|title=front|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=180|height=385]

[img_assist|nid=1042851|title=fins|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=402|height=294]

Sorry I made such a hash of uploading the pics… I’m learning!

Looks freeken unreal. No fiberglass? You’re not worried about water leaking into the plugs? Very nice board gtigger. Thanks for sharing. Mike

Yet another alt. tech guy whittling away under the radar.

Looks beautiful - did you vac bag it ?

Hey, I put in FCS plugs with epoxy, in the nornmal way no diference really, and yes I did vac bag it.

Thanks for the kind words:)

Fantastic board, I like the idea of not using glass. Let us know how the board works and if it is holding.

What type of ply is that? Poplar ply (it looks like poplar to me)?

Hey Hans, Yes I wil let you know how the board holds up, birch faced ply is the only ply I’ve tryed out so far which has nice grain patterns and is light in colour which contrasts really well with the dark rails. I’m thinking about staining the wood like resin tints on future boards which I’m hopng will give a nice effect.
The latest board I’m doing I have been using different combinations of woods to create pin line effects which looks pretty nice too.