...Lost Rocket

There seems to be a lot of buzz going on about this board and since i don’t have the funds to buy myself a new one i thought i would attempt to shape something similar. So… does anyone have one of these and could send me the dims. Looking to shape a 5’4". Thanks for your help

I’m in the process of shaping a 6’ rocket compsand right now.I used AKU shaper and loaded a photo outline of the rocket to the program,and adjusted the outline to the photo,got the dimensions,made a template and cut it out with a skillsaw.Same for the rocker.You can download AKU shaper for free,it takes a little while to learn how to use it but it is fairly simple,its a great shaping tool to have in your arsenal.

i only now understand it, you use the photo as background, set as background! haha

great tip man!

btw, if anybody gets the rocket, i am real curious if you like the hydroflex construction! Blue one.

http://www.surfskatesupply.com/images/res/ROCKET_98_200.gif

I have the outline at home as a PDF. I will upload it and post a link when I get home this evening.

cool thanks brah

Headless chicken today, just got a chance to upload these.

[img_assist|nid=1043126|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=506]

Number 1 is an exact outline of the image. I have it an inch longer (5.5) because you loose some length when transferring the printed outline over a blank with rocker. I am not sure if top or bottom is better to trace it onto? I have done both and loose about an inch. Leave a little extra on the nose or tail if you need exact 5.4. The second is the same outline fattened up a bit for a summer special.
You can download fullsized PDFs here:

http://www.thrustotica.com/outline01.pdf

http://www.thrustotica.com/outline02.pdf

You can print it out at kinkos for around 5 bucks on one long sheet (use black and white) or tile it out at home.

Awesome, thanks for the .pdf’s. It’s really great to have a working template design, and then adjust. This outline, from my first impression looks A LOT like the famous Bali Board, Morning of the Earth. #2 definately is a match.

I think both would be real versitile for fin set ups. Maybe that’s why the Bing Synchronizer also uses a similar outline.

Regards,

Tyson

I dig the outline of these… did something very similar in my most recent shape.
Slightly narrower rail-line in the top half and nose; mid-point back of center; 5’8’', canard quad fin setup.
I like the fatter outline (#2 in Slash’s graphic) also. Would work great for scaling down my shape.

Thanks Slashzilla. I have been wanting to “copy” these boards myself. Could this type of design be the new shortboard?

Hi , yip cheers for posting the outlines, i liked the look of the shape so much I went straight to the planer and have done my version of it. Probably going to be a quad so futures going in soon then to glass it this weekend… here it is so far :

That looks awesome. can’t wait to shape one of my own! Saw a guy out at my local break on a rocket and he was ripping on it. He said it was the best board he had ever had

It’s definitely the most appealing shortboard/thruster shape to me, and I prefer oldskool fish, egg and stubbie shapes. This sortof combines those outlines and body with ‘modern’ thrusters… short, wide and fun!

Maybe i’ve had a few too many beers, but give it a squash tail, and round the nose and it’s a nugget??

Looks like a great board BTW

Ya, especially in less that ideal conditions.
Nice Nocean,

Thanks Slashzilla, great sounds like a good shape for my local breaks then:)

The outline does have a really pleasing look about it , seems like a pretty happy medium between performance and a forgiving ride…

hope to glass soon might do a resin tint on this board as well…

Here is a few pics as to what I mentioned earlier about the lost rocket outline looks a lot the bali board.

Next to the Stinger, it’s my fav single fin.

Nice Board!! , does look similar although wide point further forward to Rocket I would say…

Got one side glassed on weekend and going to do a pinline and maybe clear deck, colour came out a bit brighter than I intended… mental note, always do a test before glassing!

Do you guys have the fin placement measurements for the Lost Rocket?  Im going to shape a 6’0" soon.  Thanks

am i the only one that thinks diamond tails and stingers are fugly

I’m in the process of making a lost rocket shaped compsand,every time I look at the thing I want to chop the tail off square,maybe add some tail blocks and turn it into a round tail…so your not the only one.