New way to embed a video...

[img_assist|nid=1044909|title=New! – Icon on editor bar for embedding external video|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=41|height=29]

This is the new icon in the post editor that allows you to embed a video from an externally hosted source such as a YouTube. Just click the icon and past the URL to the video in the “File/URL” field. If the video is accessable, it will show in the “Preview” field. Note: Currently, it only appears to work for youtube.

Here’s an example.

Awesome!  But wah I can’t go back in and edit all these in this thread (and re-watch them all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7MF-qsP8us

Since the “Premiere” of “The Living Curl” in November at Duke’s Malibu, the reviews have been pouring in . . . 

"The Living Curl is an awesome window into surfing history."
Dave Sweet
Greg Sweet

“I watched the film yesterday and loved it! What a time capsule for California surfers. You captured the times and the dreams of young men in the early 60’s. Those were very special times and will bring back memories of some frequented surf spots. Your commentary is special.   Superb early 60’s footage and sound.”

Aloha, Roger Mann (President, Longboard Collector Club)

“At the time, my friends and I said it was the best surf film we'd seen.  Jamie is the most underrated California filmmaker from the sixties”

Balsa Bill

Good to see you on the mainland.  I watched your DVD on my lap top computer on the plane home and it was great! "The Living Curl is a glimpse at a much simplier time when surfing was for the fun of it and California set the trends for the rest of the world to follow.        Randy Rarick - Executive Director- Hawaiian Triple Crown of Surfing

Yes, I have watched “The Living Curl” and enjoyed it immensely. I have the good fortune of knowing most of the surfers in the film. I especially enjoyed seeing Malibu, Secos and Stanley’s Diner back in the 60’s. I attended college in Santa Barbara for one year surfing Rincon until I came to my senses and returned to the University of Hawaii where I could study a bit more than in California.    and thanks again for your email and, of course, for “The Living Curl.”

Aloha,

Paul

Paul Strauch
VP, Worldwide Product Development

Jamie,
Finally got around to finishing your film. Aside from the great historic footage, my favorite part was your narration. What would be the best way to order additional copies? I’d like to give one to Ron Sizemore and one to Baby Dave Rochlen. We’d also like to carry them on our website.

Barry K Haun
Curator/Creative Director
Operations Manager
Surfing Heritage Foundation

Just to let you know I watched the DVD last night.  Really, really enjoyed it; a great time capsule.  Loved your narrative and great to see many of the surfers I’ve read about from back then strutting their stuff.   Watching the DVD set me up nicely for a dawn patrol this morning in what turned out to be a great session at Belhaven Bay here on the East coast of Scotland. 

Cheers,

James Mann

The Living Curl - a film by Jamie Budge

by Bob Feigel – Contributing Editor for Surf Guide Magazine

The Living Curl isn't just a "blast from the past," it's a classic surfing film that will literally BLAST you there! 

It's entertaining, it's funny, it's real and it manages to document and convey the wonderful spirit of the time when Southern California was the center of the surfing world (cont below poster ...).

click on The Living Curl poster below to see a trailer of the film on YouTube.

To me there are several things that make this film both likeable and unique

To begin with - unlike many surf filmmakers - Jamie Budge is a highly skilled and accomplished surfer in his own right, and it's that gifted athlete's "eye" which gives him an edge when choosing the surfers, the waves and the shots in the film.

It's like he's not just shooting a film about someone else surfing, he's making a film about the people, places and waves he knows.

Then there are the film's many sequences of Miki Dora's artistry. They are simply superb and demonstrate why Da Cat will always be considered Malibu's supreme Wavemaster.

The film's other featured surfers also read like a who's who of 60's surfing elite: Johnny Fain, Dewey Weber, Lance Carson, Harold Iggy, Mike Doyle, Rusty Miller, John Peck, Rick Irons, Corky Carroll, Mickey Muñoz, Mark Martinson , Denny Lennehan, Robert August, Mike Hynsen, Ron Sizemore and David Nuuhiwa .. plus dynamic young, up-and-coming  talents like Jo Jo Perrin and Jackie Baxter.

There is also rare surfing footage of Malibu locals like Richard Roche, Dave Rochlen, Robbie Dick, Bob "Porkchops" Barron, John Gale, Brian Haimes, George Szgetti, Dave Stewart, Paul Resnick and H2o magazine publisher, Martin Surgarman.

Of course, these were the days before surfing wetsuits and leashes ... when surfing expeditions up and down the Californian coast were a real adventure and something to look forward to. After all, old cars were cheap, gas was around 25 cents a gallon and the Pacific Coast Highway still connected coastal communities rather than separating them.

Captured forever by Jamie's camera the film takes us on a journey up and down Highway 101 in the early-to-mid '60's and gives us nostalgic glimpses of the coast the way it was before the money changers took over the temple.

Today's viewers will also see Southern Californian surfing spots as they once were and even some that no longer exist, like Stanley's, the Rincon Oil Piers and Dana Point. 

My only criticism of the film is a small one. 

While the accompanying background music track comes through both stereo channels, the narration is only on the left channel. And it's only a criticism because Jamie Budge's dry, infectuous humor makes the narration worth paying attention to. 

All in all The Living Curl is a "must see" for all those interested in surfing's rich history or anyone wanting to enjoy a surfing film that combines all the elements required to make it a classic.

Note: you can purchase a DVD of The Living Curl by visiting http://www.thelivingcurl.com