"Swaylocks Inspired " 6' stubby ridden !!!!

… well, FINALLY !

Conditions …

head-high scarbs , some a bit bigger

fairly fullish , but , thankfally , wind-free for the first 80 minutes [i should have got out there at 6.20, instead of 7am!]

i caught four lefts 

and four rights

fins ?

i opted to ride it as a bonzer today , as i figured 6’ of rail + fattish waves , + a single fin may = more drive needed .

“beerfan” , i used your green 7" singley ,

and some almost colour match bonzer runners [minus cant] that i made a few years ago now …with the probox 6 degree inserts , they were not totally upright , though !

the runners [3" deep , 5" base ] had just enough area for a bit of extra thrust on the bottom turns , and were noticeable on one backhand roundhouse , i could feel them grip then release nicely !!

having come off riding a 9’4 mal for the last few months , a 6’ x 20 sure feels like a small board.

i had to remember to keep my chin down , take an extra paddle or two , and takeoff a bit deeper than i normally do on the long[er] boards i ride [eg: 7’ single fin]

one backhand pigdog on a "semi hollow" left felt particularly nice , i just wish the wave had held up 

fun fun fun 

thanks ‘thing’ , for helping make a really nice board …the vee , the harder rails , and the better rocker is CERTAINLY a BIG improvement on my past boards , THANKS AGAIN !!

It was nice to be leaving the beach just as the early onshore kicked in [it’s been howling here for weeks now!] , and to be able to tell Wade “you guys REEEEEALLLLYYYYYY missed it …you shoulda been here an hour …etc” hahahahh

to be continued 

i’ll probably ride it just as a singley next time , as in theory that IS what i designed it to be …a 6’ stubby single fin

many thanks for the inspiration from chris brock , michael peterson , and ritchie west [and alby falzon and george greenough , for documenting them back in the early 1970s !! ] for their original stubby performances [i particularly like the one ritchie shows , in ‘Crystal Voyager’

…to be continued …

[i have a “few” fins to try out on this board , too, by the way !! ]

cheers

ben ++

Sweet as ben!!!!

Ok , this is a bit obvious but…

PHOTOS PLEASE CHIP

The board sounds like fun , enjoy it mate.

Cheers

Mooneemick

Hey! I just watched the first half of that movie for the first time yesterday, I’ve been trying to find it and finally found a download for it, sweet because it’s not exactly a ‘roll down to the local surf shop in canada and pick it up’ sort of title. I think I know the stubby you’re talking about, and it gave me urges of a decidedly unwholesome nature! Glad to hear that the board is working out, and I will second the motion for ‘Pics Pretty Please!’.

I’m stoked it surfed well for you, I’ve been inspired by your experimentation and dedication to the fin side of surfing to try and make a few. So far just a couple of inneffectual keels that ended up delaminating, and some others that I botched the glass on, but now I have a couple boards that cry out for some fin play… more later, cheers!

thanks for the replies , guys !

yep , give me a coupla weeks to get the photos edited to disc , and hopefully i can do a “board build” thread

hey , whatever happened to the ‘edit facility’ here , by the way ??

i noticed a few typos in the original post [ben++ , for example??] , but unfortunately i can’t edit them now ?? oh well… next time i’ll hit " preview post" , and take my time to type / read it first , i guess …

cheers

ben 

at the moment i have two keels on it

the wind has been howling onshore since monday , so…

…“to be continued” …

Hey Ben,

Here is a pic of Richie West taken care of business in Coff’s Harbor, NSW… in 06…Currently still shaping and charging local surf. He still has template GG made for Crystal Voyager Board. He will have a website soon and I will post site info…

Aloha Mate,

Roger

oh great, now you've done it.. I am all inspired now to shape myself a stubby, well my own version anyway.....ha ha... I can relate to that enthusiasm and stoke in ya post mate...well done...and good on ya for mentioning the influences, should be MORE of it imo....I too would like to see some pics....

gee Beerfans fins get around dont they ??? I have a keel that came via him and he has some of my Squin Fins ATM.....good stuff...

cheers for that Roger !!

i still have the bob cooper ‘ritchie west bullett’ model that i picked up in coffs back in 2001

and on that trip i also photographed him riding trappies too

cheers

ben

Ben, keep an eye on your mail box. I'll be sending my probox aipa twinny's to you for a lend. Im struggling to get used to the twinny, the nose seems to want to lift when im surfing it. Just can't seem to gel with it ( every time i take it the waves are crap ). The wife is only 6 weeks away from popping out number 3 so i won't be doing much surfing for a while, though i'll somehow stick to once a week ( need some sanity ). Having much better luck with the fish at the moment, so you can try them in your stubbie, and send them back later on. No hurry though, i have the fish and my magic midlength to keep me going.

And ben, WHERE are the pics?? hahaha.

Cheers

unreal !!

thanks very much !!

that is actually GREAT timing , as i have a nice yellow and multi-coloured swirl panel , cut out for twinnys now , and was thinking of re-templating it , so hopefully , i might be able to ?slightly scale down ? those aipas to fit in there ?

thanks again mate !!

cheers

ben

yesterday i rode it as a “widowmaker” setup , ie: with your green back fin and with two gs side fins …

Sent them today mate. Expect them next week!

pics of the board and diff fins would be cool.....

thanks a lot Mark ! [‘beerfan’] ,

i’ll set up camp by the mailbox !

hi prid !

yep ,

i know !

unfortunately , since my rent increased and i don’t have work , at the moment i am scint [if it wasn’t for Ross letting me use his computer, i wouldn’t even be online] , so i haven’t been able to afford anything other than rent and food [the essentials!] for some time now…[hence not able to pay for card to disc to phoptobucket internet cafe luxuries ]…

cheers

ben

" I’m stoked it surfed well for you, I’ve been inspired by your experimentation and dedication to the fin side of surfing to try and make a few. So far just a couple of inneffectual keels that ended up delaminating, and some others that I botched the glass on, but now I have a couple boards that cry out for some fin play… more later, cheers! "

[/quote]

… thanks kyle !

of course , i’d love to see how they turn out

i LOVE it when people here make fins and boards and experiment !

in the past week , i have met THREE people who are making boards 

hopefully my P.R. for sways meant they may check here

cheers and keep up the good work , mate !

ben

i

thanks kyle !

i’m always STOKED to see people’s fins and boards

in the last week , i’ve met THREE shapers in garages , hopefully the bit of a ‘P.R.’ job i did for sways may see them here one day ??

cheers

ben

....Rode it again yesterday [sunday] in hollow head high and bigger peaky , crowded beachies

this time , as a SINGLE fin , with a 9" raky fin .

not too drivy , but fun fun fun !!

i want to make some smoke coloured bonzer runners , to go with the more upright smoky back fin.......

cheers !

ben 

Hey Ben,

Good to hear you are experrymental again!

Did you try quadish things to stirr things up?

4different colorzzz,

best you cando, don’t forget a red one for SPEED!!!

Enjoy life the best you can and you can indeed!!!

g'day soulman !!

thanks for the interest

this board is setup as a single fin , but with two 'probox' boxes.

so THREE is in fact the maximum number of fins i can use on it

which is good , as i always wanted a wider , vee-bottomed , thruster-like 'stub' i could ride as a singley ...it answered 'josh's curiousity too, as to how it would go ....

now i just need a few wind-free days [might have to stop eating baked beans on toast so much , i guess...]

ben[t]

… update …

it’s now been ridden as a [square tailed] twin keel …

PICT2086.jpg picture by chippy61

[and the keels have been thinned since this photo …]

the ‘French’ keels are the next i’ll try , i reckon !

PICT2068.jpg picture by chippy61

fun fun fun !!

and , of course , ‘beerfan’ Mark …your twinnys will get a go soon too, waves permitting !

cheers !

ben

Good to see some pics of the board! That second set of keels looks luvverly…