wood inlays

So, one of the elements that I want to add to my boards are wood inlays. I’ll be doing mostly short and fish shapes so I’m not talking nose and tail blocks on a longboard. Although I’m going to experiment with them on shorter boards to bring back a element of style to modern materials and shapes. I’ve already got a few ideas on how I’m going to do it but, I have a concern. I’m afraid of making the board too stiff in areas where you don’t want it to be. So I was thinking that if the designs were placed more towards the nose it wouldn’t affect anything. Does this sound right? I think that if I use soft wood that is milled down super thin like 3/16 or less it wouldn’t matter a ton anyway. 

Or I could just forget about worrying and try anything out. Who knows it just might add a stiffness or flex that’s needed.

I have done 1/8" to 1/4" thick wood inlays on my boards with no effect to flex/ride characteristics. Can be a pain to plane them flush with the foam before glassing; be vary patient with the sanding, planning, repeat.

Nice web site!

Thanks, going to be re-design the website soon to make it better.

Take a look...it might help to inspire you.

http://grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1100

Here is my last inlays

http://grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1114&start=160

that’s some beautiful work. Definitely inspirational. I’m definitely pretty far from achieving that level of work but something to work towards. 

What I hope to do is use modern designs and materials and add wood elements to them to bring back that classic look. My first board was a Robert August Summer Classic 9’0 and I just loved the look of it. Hopefully I can bring it back. 

Would you recommend using any specific wood over another?

If your going for wood then you should choose a light weight wood like cedar.

It's very nice wood with an aromatic smell. It woorks easily too.

Paulownia is used in Australia New Zeland and other exotic countries...(for me they are LOL).

They love it for all reasons but I never saw it with my eyes.

If you could get them both it would per the best choice because of the contraste.

If you can only get cedar then choose a white to creamy colour wood for inlay contrast.

If you can can only get paulownia then try a a dark wood for inlays such as koa, mahogony as an example.

The truth is, its not much what you want but whats available. The best is to go to the lumberyard and see what they have, without forgetting the weight factor.

All the best

slp