Bob Tinkler tail passed away 2 months ago

I was fortunate to work with him in his last 5 years of his life. we made some tinkler tails and had lots of fun talking stories.

He was a man with a vision, he really understood flexible rocker and how to control it. Was great!

he battled cancer for the last year and finally went.

RIP Bob!!

Just noticed this today and immediately I was recalled to 1975 when the Tinkler brothers did some "research" on their Tinkler Tail at my old home break. I recall having the concept explained to me and seeing the logic behind the idea but I was a very beginner surfer at the time and was still learning the basics, so high tech didn't mean much to me. Not too many years after that and Simon Anderson introduced the modern Thruster which has dominated since, more or less.

Sorry to hear of Bob's passing and very belated condolences to family and friends.

We also lost the first local at JR last year, in October. Jim Van Dame lived at JR when I first visited there and he lent me his board one day in December of 1973 when the point was going off so I could try to catch one. I did catch one and that was the moment I knew I was going to have a long term relationship with the place.

JVD and I became pals and business partners later and when he moved back Stateside in late '75 I took over his gas station here.

Jim passed away from a heart attack while being transferred from one hospital to another last October.

On August 23rd coming up we are spreading his ashes at the point at JR.

He would have been 64 that day.

His Mom and Sister are bringing them up from California and I've got a good number of the old crew committed to showing up in memory of Jim.

Some Washington and Oregon old timers may recall Jim from the '70's too.

He was a surfer.

Anyway, sorry about Bob and to the rest of you........

Take care.