Craigslist Hawaii---------Surfboard Blanks

Heads up Swaylocks Hawaii;  Checkit out.  This might help the "bottom line"$.       sale-v7c3p-1509672346@craigslist.org     and   sale-ru7re-1539365985@craigslist.org     Hope I got those links right.  If not just go to Hawaii Craigslist and search sporting for surfboard blanks.   Good hunting and let me know how it went.    Lowel

Ya missed, links go to email…

first one:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/1509672346.html

second one:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/1539365985.html

the first one they guy sold out of the $10 seconds some time ago. though said he does have some longboard Excell on sale (chinese foam)

Uncle D

called me around christmas as the hawaii homeblown guy was dumping the last of his inventory at unreal prices.

Dennis bought a bunch of blanksand let me know there was still some more available.

My brother was trying to get me to drive up to the northshore to get some but we have tons of EPS foam we have to get through cutting and shaping before the bumblebees ruin it all.

I think most of the hawaii homeblown stuff is all gone already.

My brother bought blanks some from the $10 guy in honolulu and they were all junk the guy even warned him that they were only good for practicing.

Don't know who's clearing out some stock in Kailua/Kahaluu maybe its uncle d.

Didn't know they would eat EPS.  When I was on Maui balsa had to be shaped up and glassed pretty fast.  Termites.  Anyway;  Hate to asee a blank source go in the Islands.  Competition's a good thing. 

The guy selling the $10 blanks owns King Surf Hawaii. He got involved in the blank business when the Clark thing happened. He knew people in china, so they started making surfboard blanks. He had a bunch of 1st generation blanks that had all kinds of problems with the paper being embedded in the foam. I bought 3 blanks from him for $25. He told me about the issues and to check the blanks carefully before buying them. It was good practice since I had to learn how to skin a PU blank. You don’t do that with EPS. 

He sells Excell blanks now, and has a license to make and sell Ben Aipa boards that are made in China. I think he sells them on the mainland. The Aipa boards were really nice, and the SUPs were super light for their size. He said his prices for the Excell blanks are slightly better than the US blanks available on Oahu. I found him to be very straight forward and honest about his products. I know several guys that bought that 1st generation foam, and they pretty much had the same experience with the guy that I had.

Not sure what the Homeblown guys have left, but they had some in the 6-8 to 7-6 range around Xmas for $35. I think the phone number is 808-333-4706 his name is Henry.

Aloha All:

I got to work with all three blanks.  The first generation $10 blanks from China are great to practice on but unless you really got a good one, it is not worth glassing.  I found too many air bubbles and offline stringers.  These PU blanks also gassed out after glassing.  They made great practice blanks for shaping.  I used these blanks to dial in my two rebuilt Skill 100 planers.

The Excell blanks are pretty good and the foam is crisp.  I think it is the old Walker Foam formula that they are using.  I made a really cool 10'5" longboard with one the the excel blanks.  Both of these blanks are from www.kingsurfhawaii.com.  Rich King is a really good guy.

Hawaiian Homeblown blanks are great blanks for the money.  The owner Henry is a super nice guy and generous too  I told him that I wanted to buy as much blanks as I could for $300 and I drove away with 12 blanks that included four - 9'8", one - 7'6", one 7'8", two - 6'9" fish and four 6'4" fish blanks.  I also saw a bunch of blanks in his garage that still required glue up and there was sill a bunch of 6'4" fish blanks left.  That was in mid December.

Shark Country, try to pick some up quick.  You won't be disappointed.

Mahalo,

D

Hi Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the Homeblown blanks. I still have some PU blanks I got from Bennet, and a lot of EPS that I haven’t touched. Bernie didn’t want to get more PU, so I never did make it up to Sunset. I’m such a townie now that a trip to Sunset is a big deal.

Maybe you’d be interested in a block of 2 lb EPS about 7’ (maybe 7’6") x 6" x 24" (it’s actually 48" wide) I can cut it wider than 24". I also have a 8’ block but it may not be a full 6" thick.

I’ve been cutting the EPS into rocker slices 6" wide and gluing them up to make boards. I cut 4 boards from one 6" thick block, and that was with a whole lot of wasted foam. I could have gotten 5 if I did a better job of cutting out the slices. I still have 2 badly cut blanks that haven’t been glued up yet.

Give me a call if you want some of the EPS. You can have some if you want.