Swayloholics Anonymous 2010 Sept 24,25,26

153 posts |
Last post
afoaf's picture

....and she swills vodka straight from the bottle.

you two will fit in quite well.

kokua's picture

Howzit wakesurfer,Now you've done it, if that is your wife then you stay home and let her come to the get together. Just Kidding.Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

Surf4fins's picture

we have a group that ALWAYS bring more friends and their friends and we end up playing musical cars moving them around to appease the camp host regulations on 2 cars per site. I'm sure you can find a place to fit in.

stingray's picture

I almost canceled.....Mrs. Stingray has been having major health problems. Surf4fins and MarkSSD have been keeping me sane...I met these guys at Plaskett Creek , now the're helping me get through major personal problems.....The San Diego crew rocks!....Mrs, Stingray is getting better...much better....looking forward to Sept 25 !!!!!

Ray

kokua's picture

Howzit stingray, I sure am glad you did a post since for some reason I ha it in my mind tht the get together was he first weekend of Oct. I would have been the only on there. Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she gets better soon and I will be seding positive vibes her way. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

ambrose's picture

OCTOBE!!!R

WHEN DID IT CHANGE TO OCTOBER?

ADELAIDE!   bring me my snakeskin boots we gotta get going!

if the pass closes by august tenth

we have to get all the sheep down out a here before 

we can even think of going any where before april.

what day is it?

...ambrose...

I always thought the top bar said november

ambrose M. curry III

kokua's picture

Howzit Brother Brose, I said I originally thought it was in Oct,, it is in Sept. Are you going to be there this year? I am trying to get things together to go and if you are going tobe there I will double my energy as for getting t together.I am looking into buying a 12 volt blender so I can eat food since that is the only way I can eat any thing that is not liquid Tonight I finished off the last of my Kailua pork so I need to go to Vegas for a reup at the Aloha Market. PM me. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

lavarat's picture

My wife has a hand crank blender for camping, you could try it out. I think magaritas would be a good work out.

We could bring the hand crank ice cream maker too.

Ian

kokua's picture

Howzit lavarat, Now that is a new one for me and have never heard of a hand crank blender. But don't worry since I will need one the trip there and back and all stops in between. Am going to West Marine here in Havasu since they make them for boats and though it may be a little expensive it will be priceless. My main concern is making sure I get one that won't break down on me since there are some real bad ones out there. I might have to do a google on hand crank blenders or just have you tell me where I can buy one, possibly for a back up. Hope fully by the time of the get together I will have had a doctor fix the throat thing for me. Just got accepted for AHCCCS state insurance here in AZ and am just waiting for my card so I can go to the doctor. One thing I have done is my research on who is a good doctor here since my doctor on Kauai was great. Aloha and hope to make it to meet you all. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

kokua's picture

Howzit lavart, 2 days ago I found a 12 volt blender on ebay that I put the only bid on and it looks like with 1 day left it could end up being mine, plugs into the cig lighter and it usually is very expensive but so far it's only $25 plus shipping. I am also looking into an inverter for charging my laptop, just need to make sure I get a good one with plenty of extra wattage. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

Surf4fins's picture

the original post from the start of the thread copied below:

Swayloholics Anonymous 2010 Sept 24,25,26

Plaskett Creek Campground Sept 24,25,26. Reserve your spot to be part of the legendary event! Bring your boards. Bring your women and children, Being your beer Bring more beer. I'm told spots are filling up fast, perhaps some of you may want to get together and reserve the group campsite if necessary. No host, no official raffle, no price tags (bring what you can for swapping. Get Ray drunk you never know what you'll bring home!) Camp sites just became reservable today for late Sept. Any questions post them here and everyone can figure it out. Keg stands optional.

jt1's picture
jt1

So Tim are you ready for swaylocks anonymous ? I'm ready .     whos going to sacred craft san diego  next weekend ?   i'm on the edge , if theres no surf i would rather stay home .

james

Surf4fins's picture

heya, finishing projects to take up for the trip. Hopefully I won't be sanding boards the day I'm supposed to leave as in years past!!!!

stingray's picture

surf4fins wrote:

heya, finishing projects to take up for the trip. Hopefully I won't be sanding boards the day I'm supposed to leave as in years past!!!!

I'm ready to glass.....I've got CE and KK....cloth too...and a full tank of propane for the grill....I'm open the next two week ends.....The laminating is EZ...we need to make sure there's time for the sucky sanding and fin installs....

Ray

Swied's picture

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of our trip right now.  Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.  Here's the situation.  I'm brining the wife, and two boys (1.5 and 4 yrs old).  Should I split the ride up from San Diego to Plaskett creek into two days or just plow through in one shot.  If we left on Thursday night, then we could make it about half way up and get a hotel for the night.  The boys would probably sleep most of the way, so it would be less stress; but it would be a lot more expensive than driving the whole way there on Friday.  The same question applies for the way back.

jt1's picture
jt1

good morning  swied ,

you could do it in one day , but it will be a long drive  . if you do it in a day , figure out your plan of attack regarding traffic . being stuck in traffic with two kids can be trying . try not to drive the  last two hours before the campground  at nite because it is remote , dark ,  a little windy twisty and possibly unfamiliar to you . especially if you are tired  . i did it once at nite and i was tired .  just my 2 cents .

you could split it   up  , and  stay  just one nite in a motel   and take your time either coming or going .  the guys from san diego  will give you some better advice since they  have traveled the route a few times

. good luck and drive safe .  james

markssd's picture

If Ray and I drive straight thru leave at 4 arrive about noon or 1,

If not we drive to ventura spend the night get up surf C st then head out easy drive and get a surf in.

lavarat's picture

The road is pretty windy once you hit Big Sur. I have two boys also and the trick to long road trips is audio books. I did SF to SD and the boys wanted to finish the chapter in the car when we arrived.

Ian

Swied's picture

lavarat wrote:

The road is pretty windy once you hit Big Sur. I have two boys also and the trick to long road trips is audio books. I did SF to SD and the boys wanted to finish the chapter in the car when we arrived.

Are there any good audio books for toddlers?  If I only had a portable DVD player with seven hours of Yo Gabba Gabba, Fireman Sam, and Sid the Science Kid, then we'd be golden.

edit: ...or brain dead. ;P

McDing's picture

You might want to consider traveling at night.  I lived in SD a few years and was a single parent with a 5 and a 6 year old.   Whenever I went North I would intentionally wait until later in the evening to travel.  That way I would usually miss the LA traffic.  I would feed the kids a good dinner with a big dessert and then make a bed for them in the back of the old Malibu wagon.  Furniture pad, sleeping bag and pillows.  By the time I got to Oceanside they were asleep.  If you don't get sleepy or can split the driving with your wife, everybody can have a nice breakfast in Morro Bay or Cayucos the next morning. That way you can do the windy part (Hwy One) in the daylight.  Sunflower seeds work good for staying awake.  Lowel

That which can be assorted without evidence was read in an illegal magazine.

johnmellor's picture

A sedative for the kids (maybe the wife?) might be a good idea.  Michael Jackson preferred this one...

stingray's picture

What really sucks is the ride home......

You have a great time all week end , headed home on the two lane hwy behind some Mid life couple that just bought a new PT Crusier...(PT Loser)....Going 45mph with no where to pass...then you get into Santa Barr Bra and hit bumper to bumper traffic...???...(5 year construction project)...get through there and hit trafific in Oxnard...Why is there traffic in Oxnard on a Sunday afternoon? There's nothing in Oxnard to cause traffic.....Over the hill into the LA Basin.....We've had smooth sailing and we've had nightmares...One time it was bumper to bumper from Sherman Oaks to Long Beach.....Stay mellow.....Pre dawn from San Diego to Big Sur has worked best for us.....

And the Stingray predawn cocktail.....One 7-11 32oz big glup full of Mountain Dew....One Red Bull...Drink a few oz of the Big Glup...drink a few sips of the RedBull....Pour Red Bull into Big Glup......That will get you from San Diego to Ventura...

Ray.......

ambrose's picture

oh yeah driving sunday afternoon

through the 

historic highest density auto system

on the planet is the burr in the saddle blanket.

the freeways are empty just 12 hours before or after these

high use times.driving through the system at 5 am 

sunday morning on the full moon

with all six or seven lanes completely empty

going down town from LAX

is like surfing rincon with nobody out.

if only you could put off driving a day or so to leave

plaskett at like 3 am.

stop in ventura

and then run The L.A.

gauntlet in the am.you

would glide through 

like your hand over a cured gloss...

sunday afternoon

is some times best spent

just sitting in one place watching

everybody else drive.

three o'clock sunday afterrnoon

is the best time to go surf,

everybody is packing up to drive home

in assorted trains of cars

with your favorite slow guy in front 

singing casy jones the engineer  songs.

...ambrose...

surfing is not

just paddling out

at  a beach. 

some times

it's driving or

riding elevators

or shopping for olives.

good surf sessions

start and end at the

stoplight at the corner

of your block.

ambrose M. curry III

johnmellor's picture

Hi Kokua -

Seen one of these?

kokua's picture

Howzit John, That is so classic. Actually I bid on a 12 volt great quality blender on ebay and was the ony bidder and got it for $25 plus $15 shipping. It is that same one that the boat stores sell for $100 and it was used just twice and the owner sold his boat and didn't need it any more. Plugs into the cig lighter so I am set now. Since this is my first time I am wondering what to bring besides beer and some food and a cooler of course but for some reason Iknow I amforgetting something and don't want to show up without a much needed supply. I have to go through the family camping gear to see what we have. May buy a power inverter but want to get a good quality one so I can recharge my laptop. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

stingray's picture

It's a crazy life....

MarkSSD,Stingray ,and Surf4fins.......We've got a spot...we have $$$ to get us there and back....We're Looking forward to meeting everyone!

kokua's picture

Howzit stingray. Blender arrived today so I am 1 step closer to making it to there. Have been using the dremel on my dentures and it is making a difference and have been eating some food with them but they still could be more comforable and still like using the blender. Its the throat that is the real problem and I see a doctor in 10 days and hopefully he can help with that problem.Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

knick_knacks's picture

Wondering if anyone would have a extra parking space at their site for Friday or Saturday night?  I have a lofted bed setup in my camper shell and will sleep in there, so no tent-space needed.  I'll probably bring a 2'x4' folding table to cook on, but that's all the space we'd take up.  It'll be myself, girlfriend and my 30lb well-mannered dog.  Can bring plenty of beer/wine/tequila, or maybe cook a meal for whoever can offer a space.  Am getting really excited, should be a lot of fun, especially if the waves decide to turn back on and cooperate!

jt1's picture
jt1

Kokua  and others,

Can somebody pull there vehicle or extra vehicle  into my camp site  on thursday  after 3 pm check in  .  They   will give away  the site   if you do not check in the day of arrival  , like they did last yaer  .  I will arrive  friday . site   # 043 . reservation # 2-1230689 .

thank you james

darren's picture

Has anyone offered to get your parking spot yet James.   I am the unofficial leader of the Santa Cruz/ Orange county chapter.    I can easily put a truck in the spot for you.   As it turns out me and my gang could use as many spots as possible.   See you guys there.   Darren

jt1's picture
jt1

wait a minute , wait a minute , I thought I was the unofficial leader of the norcal / santa cruz chapter !!!    just kidding  , I am still just a lowly soldier , with no chance of being promoted .

please do park your truck ,  at check in time on thursday . Kokua might  be sharing the spot  so  be nice .

aloha james

lavarat's picture

We are getting there.

Ian

keithmelville's picture

getting close... anyone know if campfires are OK this year?

How about a template swap?  bring a couple of your favorites and a roll of paper? 

Surf4fins's picture

from the website today: Camp fires and bbq's ok at Plaskett

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzP... Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Los Padres National Forest- Home

Developed Recreation Areas and Campfire Use Sites in Los Padres National Forest where campfires and barbecues are currently permitted:

Monterey Ranger District
Arroyo Seco Campground/Group Camp
Arroyo Seco Day Use Area
Bottchers Gap Campground
China Camp Campground
Escondido Campground
Kirk Creek Campground
Nacimiento Campground
Mill Creek Picnic Area
Plaskett Creek Campground/ Group Camp
Ponderosa Campground
Sand Dollar Day Use Area
Santa Lucia Memorial Park Campground
White Oaks Campground

keithmelville's picture

great.  those couple of years with no campfires were a bit of a downer!  gotta bring firewood...

Surf4fins's picture

bring yer gitar too.....

keithmelville's picture

that's like saying "don't forget your surfboard..."

kokua's picture

Aloha Keith, I won't be coming and I am not happy about it. The doctor did a blood test on me and I have low red blood cell count and they are doing tests. One good thing is the test for blood in my stoamch and colon came back negative but now they are scheduling more tests and they won't let me work them around the camp out. Actually ifI didn't have to do the tests I would probably go back to Kauai for my ex room mates memorial since it will be the same weekend. PPK just emailed me and he is trying to get me to move back and run the taco truck at Annini bch, told him "if I was 30 years younger maybe" I just hope that I will be able to move back to Kauai after I get things together here since Kauai is where my heart is. I want to wish you alla good time at the get together and I need to get a tee shirt in a large. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

keithmelville's picture

Howzit Kokua - sorry to hear that... if all else fails I will mail you my T Shirt!  Hey, maybe I should come run the taco truck... sounds like a sweet deal, and I make some good tacos!  Maybe next year you can make it to Big Sur, don't give up trying!

aloha,

K

kokua's picture

Howzit Keith. I don't think you will have to send me the shirt of your back,ha,ha. I will just buy 2 from afoaf, just eed to find out how to get them. If not maybe you could get 2 for me and I will just pay you for them and the postage, money is not a problem. The guy who owns the taco truck is originally from OB and a great guy. The four guys who started the Dolphin restaurant were all from San Diego and One(David Goodwin) ran the G&S shop back in the 60's. Did you ever eat at the truck in Anini Bch, real mexican food and good. Actually I hope to see you before the next Big Sur party. Aloha,Kokua

Aloha, Kokua

stingray's picture

We're going to miss you Mr Kokua.I hope everything works out for you and your family.

stingray's picture

Freebiees and trades......

Misc. orphan and homemade fins , tail blocks, mixing cups (2:1 ratio) ,paint brushes ,center fin boxes , homemade sanding blocks/pads , material to make your own sanding pads.......

...I paid full price for a girls wetsuit....worn maybe 5 times....O'NEILL...  Heat 3:2...size 4...Light blue arms...nothing on the wetsuit says it's a boy's or girl's...........

I'll put all that stuff in a box this weekend.......

I also have some 3/8" black Komitex stringer material. About 18" x 7 feet. I'll bring it if someone wants it....

I'm looking for oddball pigments and tints.....and a good time......Ha ,Ha...I love Pale Ale but I'm too cheap too pay full price.........

See you next week!

Ray

Durbs's picture

anybody have an extra parking spot?

srpato's picture

Hey Durbs!  Where have you been?

Did you already check with Tyler? He usually has an extra spot or two. Our parking spots are full but you're welcome to throw a tent down in our camp site.

Gonna bring any new fins?

Marc

johnmellor's picture

I just got off the phone with the management outfit.  Here is the latest info...

The water shortage from earlier in the season has been corrected so we won't have to bring our own water.  There have been mixed reports on this and it turns out it was a broken main that has been fixed.

Campfires are OK according to the management outfit.  "The Forest Service hasn't issued a campfire ban...yet" is what the lady told me today.

Swell forecast sounds as if we might get a break from the unruly conditions we've had in the past few years.  Hopefully there will be nice weather and some clean waves. 

Durbs's picture

Marc,

No fins this time...  I already have a camping spot, but a friend of mine was thinking of coming up a day later and our spot is full.  But I don't think it will be a big deal to find a spot.

I'll see you there.

Durbs

balsa's picture
I left Guethary yesterday and drove the 800 Km to Paris, stayed at my brother's for the night. Today, just after lunch, my brother drove us to Roissy airport where we were supposed to board the plane to LA at 16:35 PM. He dropped us in front of the embarkment gate and headed back home Gabrielle and I made our way to the Delta Airlines desk, pulling two giant bags and a 9'6" two-boards bag coffin. Weirdly enough, there was no flight scheduled at 16:35 for LA. To make a long story short, I was convinced that today was sunday 09/20. Now, I know that today is sunday 09/19. Trying again tomorrow... Come on, guys, laugh your butts out. Thanks to my brother for the 80 KM drive for nothing today. And for doing it again tomorrow...
chrisp's picture

ha ha ha, that's something i would do Balsa

chrisp's picture

dang Ray, that's a bunch of stuff!...

i've been filling a box the last couple weeks but i don't have anywhere near that much.

stingray's picture

Balsa , In America we call that a "brain fart".........Ha Ha

Last call for the komitex stringer material , I'm not bringing it unless someone is interested.....I'll check the web Tuesday afternoon and then we're out of town!

Ray

Pages