Dextra Popout. Worth Anything?

Hello Swayfolk,

My surfboard endeavors were derailed for a while so it's been a while since I Swayed.  A few days ago my neighbor brought this board by to ask if I'll repair it for him.  He just wanted a quick patch on the nose so he could resell it.  I told him I thought it might be worth something as it looked like a popout from the late 60s and I would ask around.

The nose damage is substantial with about an inch or so missing.  Any opinions on whether this is collectible or of any real value?

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

1 What does the label say?

2 What’s the length?

Looks like Dextra’s poorly executed attempt at a shortboard, just before they went out of business. I’m guessing it’s bit under 9’ ?

If it was in mint condition, and considering today’s market, might fetch 200-300. Given the damage and that bad looking stripe job, it’s worth much less. Certainly not “valuable” or collectible, IMO.

Problem is, Dextras were crap when brand new. Now they’re old crap.

It's actually short.  Maybe 6 to 6-1/2 feet.  I called my neighbor to have him measure it.  Looks like a bad effort at transition since the back half is classic longboard for the era, then they just shortend the front, foiled it down, and added a little rocker.  Not pretty.  The fin is crazy.  Almost no foil with chamfers on edges.

Okay, first reaction is "junk".  More opinions please.

Most likely the “Micro Comp” model, if it’s around 6’6". One of the very last Dextras and built around late '68 or '69.

Still junk.

Just like I suspected. It’s the Micro Competition model.

Hate to say it and ruin your buddy's day, but SammyA's absolutely right. The 'sun face' was on the late Dextras, which were of.....odd construction. Some were, heaven help me, called Dextra Customs, which kinda strained credibility. With the exception of the munched nose it's in pretty good shape for a Dextra, they tended to get real ugly real fast. With that nose the way it is, it's not worth much. Do a lot of work to bring the nose back and you might get the cost of the repair, say $100. No repair, $75, 'cos anything that'll float is worth $75.

When shortboards first came in, Dextras...well, one guy came in with one looking for a trade in. We wouldn't do a trade in on 'em, and I offered the guy five bucks to take it away and never bring it back.

Fast forward a quarter century, longboards came back and old-board-collector madness, another guy comes in and asks 'Whaddya want to give me for this ( ugly, brown, foam sucking in, horribly dinged ) Dextra, $350?" It was debatable whether or not the thing would float, let alone be surfable, but somehow he thought he had some sort of collector's item....

Uhmm, no, pal, here's five bucks, go away.....

doc...

Yes. It must have seen little use, and was stored in a garage or basement for 40 years. Most popouts that actually got regular use turned an ugly, shit-colored brown in short time.

At the height of the collector market (around 1998) many ‘completist’ collectors would pay some silly prices for mint condition popouts that were otherwise crap. I still see poor, misguided folks on ebay trying to unload Keokis, Dextras, and Dukes who use price quotes from auctions that happened eight years ago as the basis for their valuation. Those days are over.

I brokered a deal last year in which a filthy rich couple bought a mint condition “Orca” for $800. They wanted it for a decoration in their guest cottage, since they are learning how to “surf”. (Insert vomiting noise)

Hahaha.  Great editorial and history guys.  I never tolk him it was worth anything.  I told him it might be and I would ask around.  I didn't want to do a hasty fix if it was.  Looks like he'll get a hasty fix at the Doing-a-neighbor-a-favor price.

He's an estate sale treasure hunter and paid $1 for it.  Doc, in that case he might take your $5.  :-)

A few years ago someone pointed out an ad the the paper to me: “Dextra balsa surfboard for sale”.

Needless to say I was intrigued. I called the number and made an appointment to view the “classic”.

When I got there I was greeted with the typical Dextra popout, brown foam POS with rounted top and bottom stringers and wood nose and tailblocks (solid not laminated). The tail and nose blocks were the same brown color as the foam.

The guy told me that he had “contacted the Dextra company”, and they told him that they had made very few of these and the board had an interesting history. Of course since it was very rare it was worth a lot of money.

It was all I could do to keep from calling the guy a liar to his face although I politely pointed out that the board was foam with (rotten) wood nose and tailblocks and even they were redwood not balsa.

As i drove off I was thinking: “Oh well, another dead end”.

Yes, Bill. I have also seen popouts advertised as “vintage wood”  when they were actually just suntanned all to hell. Too funny.

[quote="$1"]

At the height of the collector market (around 1998) many 'completist' collectors would pay some silly prices for mint condition popouts that were otherwise crap. I still see poor, misguided folks on ebay trying to unload Keokis, Dextras, and Dukes who use price quotes from auctions that happened eight years ago as the basis for their valuation. Those days are over.

[/quote]

Exactly - I remember seeing collectors clutching a bad photocopy of a mimeographed list of old board prices to themselves like it was the last lost dead sea scroll. Because it gave a 'value', but it was for a perfect example of their beat-up, never-was-much-good old clunker, a price that might have been valid at the height of the collector market/dot-com bubble, when a few tech muli-millionaire ex-surfers with ludicrous money spent far too much of it on large collections...and which prices were never seen again.

And those insanely high prices were used as a basis to inflate prices of old boards in general, resulting in that 'list' that would-be sellers referred to and tried to get, huddling together with their garages full of old junk boards and talking to one another about their 'accumulations' ( not 'collections', as they were not of a quality to justify the term) and how wealthy they'd be when some multi-millionaire uber-collector took the brown, dinged-up, mangy things off their hands.

Meanwhile, and what really ticked me off, older, longer boards that would have been fine beginner's boards for kids without much money were instead hoarded as if they were made of a precious metal. If a kid starting out wanted his own board he had to pony up a fair amount of money which he likely didn't have.

I might call that oft-copied price list science fiction, except I happen to like science fiction and wouldn't want to cast a slur like making that comparison - lets just call the price list fantasy. Then there are the eBay auction prices that are sometimes used as 'values' for similar boards.... which are frequently only start or reserve prices, the boards never sold and indeed nobody bid on 'em at all.

It would be as if I put my old Mercedes car on an auction, with a floor price of $50,000 US. Except we're not talking about a 1968 Gullwing SL coupe ( a very expensive machine of genuine rarity and considerable technical interest which also had a high original price ) but we're talking about  my old car which was a 1974 240D diesel sedan, a bit rusty, needing rings and a valve job, half a million kilometers on it and the upholstery was tired. They made millions of them, they were the low end model to begin with and that one had been used up, it was cheaper to buy another one in good shape than to have the valves and rings fixed. Asking $50,000 would be a bit nuts.

These days , most of the uber-rich have smartened up and get people like Sammy and me to value 'collectable' boards for them. The really, really rich are not stupid, for the most part, which is how they got that way. But there's exceptions......

[quote="$1"]

I brokered a deal last year in which a filthy rich couple bought a mint condition "Orca" for $800. They wanted it for a decoration in their guest cottage, since they are learning how to "surf". (Insert vomiting noise)

[/quote]

Nggghhhhrelppphhhh ( vomiting noise inserted ) - I kinda have issues with the concept of a  mint condition "Orca" as those things sucked even on the moment they came out of the factory. $800, as maybe decor in an upscale surf-themed  bar in New York City ( "Nggghhhhrelppphhhh" again ) where they'll go out of business soon anyways, that I could understand. But for a wall hanger in a cottage?  Ohhhhkaaaayyyyy, I can't understand how they pay what they do for 'art' either.... I might hope, for their sakes, that they manage to hang onto some of their money, as with expenditures like that it'd be a real question.

[quote="$1"]

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we are. They are different.  "

[/quote]

Me, I have a four-board collection. Two are my first board and another one that I got after retiring that first one. And then the two I use these days.

The rich can be 'different' or 'eccentric'...I'm just a little weird...

doc...

yes, it was an attempt to change with the times, unfortunately the factory wasn’t equipped and buoys for the military were much more profitable.

I know some who will buy it as friends of the family are collectors. Thought you would be interested in seeing the picture of one of the last trade shows, one of the boards looks like the one you found.

When did production end?  There is still a company called Accurate Systems Technology Inc - is this a totally separate company?

Bob

/.,/.,/.,/.,/.,/.,

My guess is 1969. The transition era killed just about every single popout company of the 60s. Things changed too fast and given the nature of popouts they were always behind the times from about late '67 on. I worked for a small popout outfit in 1967. By '68 they were gone. The new “shortboards” killed them, dead.

In ‘67 and ‘68, there were no ‘‘shortboards’’, but there WERE ‘‘Mini Boards.’’      Just an interesting piece of history.     A Mini Board was any board less than 9 feet.      that is why there was a rash of 8’ 10’’ boards, in 1967 and 1968.      A good example was the Greg Noll ‘‘Bug’’, quite popular in the 8’ 10’’ size.     I’m not sure when the ‘‘shortboard’’ term came into use.     Perhaps when ‘‘longboards’’ started to come back.

Bill

True. But most people who might read my reply would be confused by the term “mini boards”  because they weren’t even born in '67 or '68. So, I used the term “shortboards” in order to be better understood by the young folk.

true, they were set up as factory type assembly line. foam was machine molded, then all people / not machines glassing etc, but boards going start to finish around the building, 24 hrs a day.

when shaped boards started to emerge, Dad tried to work with us (kids) to make us / public what was becoming popular, but it was custom shaping and just couldn’t do it on a large scale, with the tooling at the time. The garage shapers were the rage & demand died for factory produced board.

Dad transitioned to the other injection molded foam & wood fitted items like shuffle boards, then to small boats (made something like a sun fish), buoys (tsunami and the like) and finally sold the company around 1973 or 74. Not sure to whom or whatever happened to Accurate Systems.  Dad moved on to other ventures eventually re married and started a new chapter for himself.

It was fun times to remember; him coming home with lots of new toys (folding bikes, mini bikes, boats anything sport) he would have traded surfboards for, while on his month or more long travels around the nations sporting goods show circuit.

Thank you so much for the history regarding your Dad and his company.  Great times huh!  He sounded a little like Hoyt Axton in the movie-- “Gremlins”.  Must be wonderful and cherished memories for yourself and Grandchildren.  Gracias.  Lowel