Joe Shriver passed away 4/15/2010

I'm so sorry to hear this news about Joe Shriver, He was a great guy and master shaper and liked golf as i remember. He was a shaper for MTB, Spectrum, and WRV and possibly others i'm not aware of. The best board i've ever owned was shaped by him-6' 4" x 11 x 18 3/4 x 13 5/8 x 2 3/8. I retired this board several years ago with the intentions of having him copy it, i'm going to ride it today to feel its magic once again. Joe really wanted you to be happy with your board and would listen and give advice when needed.He gave me shaping tips knowing how much i wanted to learn . The surfing world has lost someone special and i send out sincere condolences to his family and friends.I just found out yesterday and only heard it may have been a heart attack, not sure though but i wanted to share what i did know. Joe Shriver thank you so much for your contribution to surfing and Rest In Peace

Joe was my brother, the oldest of 11 of us, but just waaaaaay too young to be gone.  His passion besides his 3 beautiful kids was  surfing and shaping boards.  Go catch a nice wave today and enjoy the ride.  I know my brother’s doing the same thing.

Anne Shriver

My sincere condolences to your family, Anne. A lot of people here in Brevard County are as saddened as I am by Joe's sudden passing. As one of his peers in the surf industry here, I can tell you that Joe was a very respected shaper. He worked at MTB when they were #1 on the east coast; Spectrum when they were #1 on the east coast; and most recently at WRV, the current #1. His work brought a lot of surfers a lot of happiness, that's how we'll remember him.

There are not enough words to describe the loss of Joe.

Good buddy … we golfed, we worked, we surfed … had more than a few laughs.  We’ll all miss him.

RIP Joe. It’s been a few years since I last saw Joe. He and Mark Schaper came by when I was living in Winter Park and we went and hit some golf balls together at the range. I was very saddened to hear that he had passed away. I knew Joe from the glory days of Spectrum when we both worked there. He was a fine craftsman and I had him shape a few longboards for me back then. In addition to being a great craftsman he was also an accomplished snook fisherman, an intense golfer and a talented surfer as well. The surfing industry has lost one of the best.

yes

Sorry to hear about Joe Shriver. I met him when he was at Spectrum and his shapes were clean and straight.

What can I say that hasn't been said already. He was a fun guy and always ready to work ! will always miss the dayz at Spectrum..

Joe Shriver was a friend of mine. Maybe someone else, seeing this reminder of him will be prompted to think of him too.

We met while I was working at MTB back in the early 80’s. Joe worked hard, and didn’t have the “name” recognition that Bobby Strickland did in those days, but his shapes were good. Joe had a wicked sense of humor and at the same time was really down to earth. I remember, when he was going through his divorce, he didn’t have a car because he and his wife just had the one. I had an old beater that I loaned him for months until he had another car for himself. I used to get a kick out of seeing him drive by in it (it really was a hideous car, but Shrive’s was appreciative). Joe had a great work ethic too. Mully (Donny Mulhern, MTB owner) counted on Joe to do really good shapes and he wasn’t let down.

I remember Joe telling me how he and Gary Philhower met when Joe first came to Brevard in the early or mid-70’s it must have been. They bussed tables and did whatever they could at the old (long gone) Mousetrap up in Canaveral. Lots of water under the bridge with those two guys. Also remember Joe telling me how he BS’d Dick Catri when Catri wanted to know if Joe could shape. Joe’d only rubbed out boards at that time, but he somehow kept at it and became a legitimate and darn good shaper in his own right. Someone else noted that Joe really appreciated feedback on his boards. That’s the truth. Surfing with him, on one of his shapes, he always took a real interest in what you thought of how it rode. He made me some of my best boards.

Joe Shriver was one of the good ones. - JR