ewa beach late 60's

so who was the crew there,

the Gardner brothers where from there or lived there?

on ololani st. there wasa crew, the african -american surfer /artist is the one who impressed me the most.

and just a bunch of great party animals that when it time to get down, the first stop was ewa

"go left go right, just don't go straight"

jim

[quote="$1"]

Mike- Thank's for the remembrance. Your name seems very familar, I'm sorry, 42 years have dimmed my memory. All I know is that I never met a guy or gal in Ewa Beach I didn't like or think was cool. It was the best place on Earth as far as I'm concerned. I want so bad to make this deal on the 15th of Sep.Living in Oregon for me has been like living in isolation! People here are not out going like the E wa Beach people. It's an honor corresponding with all you fellas. Your Servant, Troy Mize

[/quote]

Hi Troy. I was a bit younger (58 now), so not surprised if you forgot. That's a nice thing about growing older though. We keep meeting new people all the time! :-)

[quote="$1"]

Mike- Thank's for the remembrance. Your name seems very familar, I'm sorry, 42 years have dimmed my memory. All I know is that I never met a guy or gal in Ewa Beach I didn't like or think was cool. It was the best place on Earth as far as I'm concerned. I want so bad to make this deal on the 15th of Sep.Living in Oregon for me has been like living in isolation! People here are not out going like the E wa Beach people. It's an honor corresponding with all you fellas. Your Servant, Troy Mize

[/quote]

Hi Troy. I was a bit younger (58 now), so not surprised if you forgot. That's a nice thing about growing older though. We keep meeting new people all the time! :-) MB

Mike- Thank’s for the remembrance. Your name seems very familar, I’m sorry, 42 years have dimmed my memory. All I know is that I never met a guy or gal in Ewa Beach I didn’t like or think was cool. It was the best place on Earth as far as I’m concerned. I want so bad to make this deal on the 15th of Sep.Living in Oregon for me has been like living in isolation! People here are not out going like the E wa Beach people. It’s an honor corresponding with all you fellas. Your Servant, Troy Mize

Butch- Thank’s a ton for the info! Sept. 15th is bad for me. I wish your re-union was on the tail end of September. I believe you’re referring to Duke Dougherty, and Jack Biederback who had a brother that was a very sincere and friendly sort. If there is any way possible I will come. It would be for me the greatest re-union of my life to see the best people that we Mize brothers ever knew!! I was chased and kicked off O. Beach many times in 68, just because my hair was shoulder length. Do you guys remember Kiki Cherry who married Dave Ponds? Well she lives in Corvallis Oregon with a different husband. She was probably the best looking girl at O. Beach in 69 and 70! Your Servant, Troy Mize

Howzit Troy. I remember you and your brothers. I think you guys used to come around Rob McDonald's house when him and Dave Cueva were making boards on Ewa Beach Road? He was with Shirley Rogers then. Hope you guys make it out for the reunion! Cheers! Mike Bell

For Troy, Lance and Chris,

Ewa Beach Surf reunion, Saturday, September 15 at O’Beach. Check out Franks entry for Mike Nii and Cleighs # so you and others can call and let them know if you going come and what to bring. Awesome if you can make it. I know that the EB Gang will come full circle there. When shortly after I got in the EB Surfclub, Mrs. Husic and the rest of the club went to court on the MP’s confiscating the surfboards of anybody who surfed in front of O’Beach but wasn’t in the military. Might have been Herbert P., the incident that sent them to court and the EB Surf Club won in court for their case that it was  OK to go on the beach to the high water mark. Aloha to you guys, don’t forget Duke (Bilderback) Dave Pond,  who else from the “odda side of da fence” gang.

Butch

Troy you're a Saint, to let me know about this pressing news. I am flabergasted, and my head is

swimming. Someone needs to set up a memorial for these three Magnificent Brothers. Between

the three of them, they have shared so much with many of us, and I know I personally have

experienced changes in my life through them, that will last a lifetime. I will remember to keep

them in my daily prayers, and Bible studies every day. I know that when the time comes, we will

see them in Heaven, as we end up in that great surfing paradise in the sky.

Brother, Naky

Troy you're a Saint, to let me know about this pressing news. I am flabergasted, and my head is

swimming. Someone needs to set up a memorial for these three Magnificent Brothers. Between

the three of them, they have shared so much with many of us, and I know I personally have

experienced changes in my life through them, that will last a lifetime. I will remember to keep

them in my daily prayers, and Bible studies every day. I know that when the time comes, we will

see them in Heaven, as we end up in that great surfing paradise in the sky.

Brother, Naky

This is a question for the surfer from Foster Village. Do you happen to remember Kay Nichols,

and Maryanne Richardson from Foster, or Micky Patrick from Hickam? They were three of the

most beautiful girls, I ever got to know in my life. I wish I had Married one of them. Well, I can't

turn back the hands of time, or believe me I would. Surfing is a great life. Stick with it.

Brother Naky, Old Ewa Beach Boy

Dear Sir- I’ve heard that Steve Gardner has passed away as well although I can’t verify that.Someone in here said that Steve was a shit to Anella Sun. Well when I went over to their house a couple of times he (Steve) couldn’t have kissed her feet anymore than I witnessed. She was yelling at him and shit and he just kept saying yes dear, yes dear!! Steve was the humblest guy I ever met and wouldn’t harm a fly. The day Jimi Hendrix died I went to Steve Gardners house where we both cried in our beer! He was the nicest guy I think I ever met! Troy Mize

Thanks Troy. Boy that was a shock. I would never believe that good old boy Mark Gardner would do such

a thing to his wonderful self. I pray it is not true, but if the Lord Jesus willed it for some reason, I pray the

Holy Angels of God are watching over him, because guys like him come around only once in a lifetime.

Do you know where Steve Gardner is? I lost track after Rella Sunn past on, Bless Her Heart! Anyway, may

God be their guide now and forever, Amen.

Brother Naky

I wonder if Dave Cueva, and Herbert Pruse remember sitting on the little stone wall in front of Jimmy Ha

store drinking soda, after soda racing to see who could finish theirs' first. Mike and Steve Kendall where

there, because they always carried coins in their pockets. Look back in the very early 60's, and try to

picture the trail across Jimmy Ha store going up to fort weaver main road. Remember the Fort Weaver Inn,

and Soda Fountain. We later called it High Way Inn. We would congregate their, after surfing, as early as

the end of the 50's, when it was built, to buy one of their B.B.Q. burgers, and the extra large banana splits.

They also had pin ball machines, and offered free meals to the highest score for the week. What a memory.

Don't forget Mike and Danny Bell, they where pretty avid surfers themselves, and also did some surfboard

building as well, at their beach house next to Albert and Gracie Ferriera's house. Albert, also did some

surfing to. That was when Black Eagle use to rent the small cottage on the beach in front of the Bell's

property in the early 70's, when Mike would host many beach party's in his front yard. You know it would be

really cool if somebody with money would rent the old Jimmy Ha store location, and start the Ewa Beach

Surfboard Company. From what I remember, there was a nice picture window in the front, that could be used

to display the new boards on sale. They could shape the boards in the back room, and make racks to show

the boards on sale. You know this was a Business location, and still is, because the store is still there and

has been registered as one. It should be easy to register a new business license there. "Let's preserve the

Old Ewa Beach Road, and bring it back to life again".

Brother Naky

This is Troy Mize. Mark lived with my family for a year in 68 and 69. I last saw Mark when he was released from a federal prison in Missouri, it was 73. He stayed with me a couple nights in Waikiki. I never saw him again. But we heard he was married on the big island to a Samoan woman and they had kids. Then we heard he took a gun and put a round in his head. mak"e. I hope hes alive and that’s not true, but I think he’s gone. Troy Mize  EwaBeach91906 Papipi Place from 67 to 71p.s. We begged my Dad not to sell the house but he did and moved to Woodburn, Oregon in 71. You know the organic fruit scene. What a joke we had 5 acres of Pears and they sold then for $60 a ton! Au"we Respectfully yours, Troy Mize

Butch- This is Troy Mize. Please enlighten me on this re-union! When, where, esp. the date and time I would love to see you great fellas again but I don’t know if I can make it with such a short notice for me. Troy Mize

Butch- This is Troy Mize. Please enlighten me on this re-union! When, where, esp. the date and time I would love to see you great fellas again but I don’t know if I can make it with such a short notice for me. Troy Mize

I remember Barney Silva very well. I was young and would hang out at his house,

when he was repairing surfboards at his uncle Frank Silva's beach front house

on the right side of the store. He repaired my first Dewey Weber semi gun, after

I dinged the nose. He did a wonderful repair job, and you couldn't even tell that

the nose ever had a ding on it. I also hanged out at Louie Sadowski's and watched

him work on boards as well. That is when I met John, BumBum(George), and

Stanley. They were all surfing then around the late 50's, as well as I, at the Lots.

The waves were bigger in those days. So many memories about Ewa Beach Rd.

Brother Naky

Waving a hand to the old 60's surfers. You remember Mark Gardner of course. He was one

of the outstanding surfers that came out of Ewa Beach. He enjoyed eating aloe from my yard,

since mom had the largest variety on the road. He would Peel the leaves like a banana, and

eat the meat like a watermellon. His yoga expertise was astounding. He was able to put both

legs behind his neck, and while in the sitting position meditate for an hour at a time. Mark if

you are out there, God bless you and watch over you. What have you been doing, since 1968?

That is the last time I remember seeing you my friend.        Aloha Now, Naky

Just two days ago while at work, in walks Westside surfing legend Craig Wilson who tells me that he just got a call from Kimo Kauiho! We talked about old times, when my ex brother in law and I were surfing machine like perfect outside reef break rights about 4ft all alone, just to the left of Swabbyland from a huge rap around nw swell when from way down Campbell Industrial Park side come padding out Cino Magallanes and Craig Wilson and at that time Cino’s little sons, who are both North Shore rippers now, to also enjoy the perfect, perfect rights.

to be continued…