Accurate planer - Sacred Craft show

Come see the new Accurate planer at the Sacred Craft trade show at the San Diego Convention Center 8/14-8/15. We are in booth #313.

Thanks,

Accurate 

www.accuratewaterman.com

Let me get my "thoughts" together, cut me a little slack as I try to "muddle thru".  I would say to take the current  state of the US economy into consideration as backdrop"  to any statements I might make.   You have a specialized product that is aimed at a group of people whose need or desire for a product goes "out the window" when economic climes cool as they are currently. -------------"You are behind the curve"   Nice product though.  Hope your check  to ASR hasn't cleared yet?.   

who are you some kind off thought police.            what arogance

awesome! i like how the dust chutes are set up to blow right in your face!

Huey----------So send 'em your twelve hundred (aus dollares).  Be the first one on your block.  Most (at least those in the US)  shapers who do it for a living are concerned about having enough orders to keep the doors open.  Things for 2011 actually look worse.  But you stockbrokers and lawyers that build boards on the side (ie hobbyists)  may have money to burn.

Should not be a problem. See it in action:

If I was hogging longboards out of big-stringered PU blanks, I'd be one of the first in line to buy. I don't have one of your reels, but I own similar (Fin-Nor, Van Staal). Taking that same kind of craftsmanship into planers is a great idea. I wish you guys all the luck in the world!

Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid.

The planer looks really nice. I wish I still had the amount of work that would justify buying one. I am not sure if I can even get my head around $10 to get in and $20 to park to go to Sacred Craft this time. Maybe someday…

So --------What "old hen" laid you?

yeah but on the video of someone using it, the exhaust shoot is pointed away from them.  the pics/video on your site have the dust shoot facing the other way - right toward the user.   i am sure it is easy to switch around/modify?  looks like a beautiful piece of machinery - but something as simple as a dust chute pointed the wrong way makes your 'engineers' (or maybe marketers?) look a little silly.....

saw the other youtube video - chute slides in and out - is reversable - cool! dont know who would want to have it pointing at them though.....unless left handed... but the machine does not look set up to be easy to use lefthanded. good luck at the trade show

Nice tool, indeed. But expensive. Also, I would have appreciated an option of no cable but just a plug on top: I use a vacuum system and the power cable runs along the vacuum tube. Being able to switch planers by just unplugging and pulling out the vacuum adapter would have been a big plus. But it seems like a lot of people still like to be buried in foam dust… To each his own.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely have a vacuum attachment for it. I’ll pass along the plug idea as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post them or shoot me an email at matt@accuratefishing.com. We appreciate the feedback and will strive to make a tool that holds up and is easy and convenient to use.

In another post someone floated the idea of a belt sander with an adjustable depth gauge as an alternative to a planer, an intriguing concept?

http://virutex.com/largedoorplaner-ce24e.aspx

1/3 the price

and quite clearly 1/3  the quality

geez fellas give this guy a break  if ya cant afford it why be down on it?

Hi Huie, although I’m new to the surfboard building arena, I’ve been a Woodworker/ Contractor for 30 years now, and I really know my way around power tools.  Any doubts, look at my website Markmillerconstruction.com. You can see what I build.

That being said, the planer I mentioned earlier is hardly 1/3 the quality of the accurate planer.  The Virutex model is sound in every way.  No one yet has said anything negative about the Accurate planer itself.  Only that at $1500 for a 7 amp tool is madness when there are viable alternates for far less.  As for the tool itself, I wouldn’t be supprised if Skil’s patent attorneys don’t put an end to this quickly.

The free market lets anyone set any price for their product, but it also lets the customer say you are asking too much.

Lastly Huie, I really do like your glassing, especially you pin lines.  Very clean work.

I doubt that Skil is going to go after anyone, unless Accurate has plans to take over the construction biz. Skil doesn't make 100s anymore, they haven't for a long time. The tool was designed in 1936, so the patents (if any) likely have run their course.

The Virutex looks like it could be modified into a surfboard planer, but the Accurate is a purpose-built tool. 

The Accurate is made by craftsmen (just like us), for craftsmen.

Use whatever YOU like, but I think these guys will find a market with pros.

A few other questions:

• Was the tool designed after a group of pro shapers brainstorming?

• Are the edges of the shoe and baseplate rounded?

• Is a 220 Volt version available for the european market?

• Can a grit barrel be fitted and, if so, is it the same dimensions as the one for the Skil 100?

• Why not a switchable base-plate? Two planers in one: short for shorties, long for logs…