Kit Horn

I just found out that legandary  early Malibu surfer and all around great guy kit Horn passed away in April. 

Kit wasn't just a early Malibu Surfer he was also a Big Wave surfer.    

The roster of gr8’s shrink as we all get closer to meeting the maker. Condolences to the survivors.

It’s also nice to put a face to the name…

When I first met Kit he must have been in his mid 40's He could still out paddle and out surf guys 1/2 his age.  his sons were also really great surfers Kit was a inspiration to me. Aloha Kit

Howzit artz, Sorry to hear that,Kit shaped a board for me back in 65' after he had got back from Austrailia, great guy RIP Kit. Aloha,Kokua

Mike,

The first time I met Kit Horn, was Aug. 22, 1958.    I remember it so well because both Windansea and North Bird were breaking 12 to 15 feet all day, with glassy conditions.    I had taken a mid morning break to go look at the Cove, and Boomer.     On the way back to Windansea Kit flagged me down, having spotted my board sticking out the back window of my '50 Ford convertable.     He asked if I was going to Windansea, and yes I was.    Kit was in La Jolla on some business related matter.    He was wearing a dark suit and tie.    At the parking lot Kit started going car to car, trying to borrow a board and some trunks.   Within 20 minutes Kit was out in the water with us.    That was, looking back on it, the perfect example of what a truly stoked surfer he was.   I did not know him well, but he made a great impression on me.    Later in the day, Wayne Land, Diff, Curren, Al Nelson, Ronald Patterson, and Jim Fisher went to North Bird, and surfed some really big peaks.    We could see them taking off at North Bird from the lineup at Windansea, from the  outer third or fourth reef.   We were a long way out.   Kit was there, and picked off an epic day of surf.   Wish I'd known him better.   We shared alot of friends in common.

Howzit Bill, I only met Kit twice, the first time was after he had come back from Austrailia and had been exposed to the Vee bottom shaped boards and myself and 2 other guys ordered 1 each from him and the second time was when we he had finished the boards and we met and paid him for the boards.He seemed like the kind of guy I would like to know better and also a man you could trust. So sorry to hear of his passing but death is just a part of life and the next step  into the unknown.Aloha,Kokua

PS when you think about it , him being ina coat and tie is classic, I have never even owned a suit.

Kit and his Sons were well known Swami's Surfers.  He bought a Sid madden shaped sunset board from me a 6'6" swallow winger. Like others here I did not know him well but he always said hello to me. He was always stocked. seemed to have found that balance in life. Working raising a family and Surfing. 

Bill I can just picture kit in all his since earnestness asking to Barrow a board and trunks to have a surf.

Bumped up, to underscore how many of the Iron Men of our sport, are being lost to us.