Leroy Grannis

A true legend left our world this week.  It’s hard to imagine surfing history without Mr. Grannis’ photos.  His work will live forever and his example is carried on by many.

I was fortunate to have met him and have one of his photos in my living room.  

RIP.

anyone like a great photo of Leroy and Dale together with videographer Bob Lanz at the oepning of the CA Surf Museum 25 years ago?

drop me an email. I just recut the low tech documentary I made that year at the opening.

I also have some great Dale Velzy footage I did along with the documentary shot with Dale in his shop talking about the old days…

lbheaven@hotmail.com

here’s the foto

I to got to meet him many times … a true legend … dedication that is without equal

I to got to meet him many times … a true legend … dedication that is without equal

A true pioneer.  A lovely man.  A sad loss. God rest Granny.  We’ll miss you.

I made the jump from Kauai to Hermosa Beach to attened, LeRoy’s Services. Along with me, Greg Feltzer, a one time resident of Hermosa Beach, who had moved to Kauai and hadn’t been back in 26 years. For both of us, it would be a most memorable trip, to see old friends again and to meet LeRoys Ohana (Family) Greg, being a wonderful shaper in his own right, wanted to share something with the Grannis Family and the people of Hermosa Beach. Greg had shaped a beautiful redwood / mahogany surfboard, wasn’t sure what to do with it untill I told him of LeRoy’s passing. He posed an idea and I ran with it.

An old high school friend was on the Board of Directors of the Hermosa Beach Historical Society and I asked, if they would be interested in accepting the surfboard that Greg had shaped in the name of LeRoy Grannis for, the Historical Society. John Grannis was also contacted to get permission from the family. Both sides were extremely excited. We shipped the board before Greg and I left Kauai, got to California for our 4 day stay. 

The board was presented on the Hermosa Pier after MANY old time friends of LeRoy’s had gotten up and done their speech’s. The Paddle Out, fronting the Pier was simply wonderful. Mahalo to John Grannis and his Family for givng us the nod on accepting the surfboard, Rick Koenig & John Wayne Miller from the Hermosa Beach Historical Society for paving the way in accepting Greg’s board and putting it in the museum and to LeRoy, for giving us all such wonderful reflections of the art of surfing for many years to come.

And Mahalo Plenty, to the ole Hermosa Crew for making Greg’s & my stay a most memorable one! We couldn’t have done it with out you guys!!

“Pope” & Feltzer

This decade is proving very unfortunate for the legends of world.If steve Job was a great creator then Leroy Grannis was a master of pghotography world and art.This loss can not be recovered ever.

RIP.

It was just so cool surfing with him at Tamarack in Carlsbad. So much cool history he told me about the Palas Verde Surf Club and the beginnings of the surf industry. Not many guys left who surf with both feet straddling the stringer. RIP my friend. Barry Snyder