Shaping tools

Accurate has been shipping our new planers, but we are wondering what other shaping tools you would like to see. New or an improved version of something already out there. Electric or manual.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Power - I’d like a laminate trimmer-sized router with vacuum take-off and micrometer style (precise) depth settings.  Variable speed would be nice, as would be a bright work light (LED?) over the bit…

Manual - a flexible fairing-board-sized (30 inch x 3 inch or so) microplane blade.  With handles.

I’d like a set of interchangeable router jigs that all snap into the same holder, for all the different fin systems out there. 

Oh, and a full face respirator with noise reduction and IPOD headphones & docking station built in, ha ha.

Your Christmas wish list i assume?  The guy's not Santa.

How long does it take to ship 1 of your planers after you recieve full payment?

I would say one week or less typically.

The tools you guys have been offering look like a high quality product, congratulations on what seems to be a great response.  I’m having a hard time finding anyone with current or future inventory for a tungsten carbide grit drum to fit a Skil 100. There are a few for the Clark Hitachi, in checking every supplier I know of East or West they are all looking for a new supplier of these grit drums. With Accurate’s design and machining skills it wouldn’t take much to provide replacement drums for the Hitachi, Skil and Accurate Waterman tools.

*****Anyone out there with a grit drum to fit a Skil 100 they want to sell, I’m buying.(see my wanted ad in the Surfshop) Thanks. Tom S.

I'd like to see and buy a high quality mini spoke shave.  I have a Luthier mini plane made for violin making that has a blade on it you could shave with. 

Most of the mini spoke shaves I've found are cheap cast aluminum items with crappy blades.

Make something nice with a high quality blade and a simple secure means to adjust the blade.  You'll sell them all.

I second DMP's request for a mini spoke shave that's worth a sh_t!

Some finer points:

- High quality blade that will hold an edge

- Way larger than "Mini", for God sake my fingers aren't that small!

-Turn the handles up slightly so our knuckles won't dent the foam when we hit a knot.

- Make a convex blade option.

- Make blade width options

- Make it with depth adjustment that's just a little bit better engineered than a cheap screw.

-or-

How about a rotary type power device made just for this purpose with depth, width and speed adjustments?

Agreed---------------- -Concerning the spoke shave.  Material shops are stocking a mini-spoke shave of poor quality.  If you search the internet, Home Depot, Lowes  etc all sell spoke shaves that are much larger.  I bought a mini this weekend in a well known Orange Co. supply shop.  They had two differant ones   One cost three $ and change the other six $ and change.  Honestly I couldn't see any differance between the two.  I bought the more exspensive thinking there might be some differance in the quality, but upon getting it home and examining it I really can't see any differance.  Hopefully the blade is better quality than the cheaper one.  I primarily use the Stanley mini-plane and then buy a new one once it has dulled.  At three dollars I guess that's what your supposed to do with the spoke shave.  The mini spoke shave is a little small, but I have learned to use it.  There are some blanks that are so thin and flipped that it's about the only thing that will work in the last foot of the tip.  It would be nice to have something in between the mini and the larger spoke shave that is of high quality and worth sharpening.  I know I have seen them for sale a few years back, but not recently.  I suppose the better alternative would be to buy a curved Japanese block plane.  Everybody seems to be out of those latly though.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. On the spokeshave, do you primarily use a flat one? How about concave? Woody1962 mentioned convex as well.

To be more precise, a slightly convex blade that would leave a slightly concave stringer.

Te one I just bought is flat.  I  know that I have seen convex or concave, but I belive they were on a Japanese tool website.   I also just did a search on Ebay and found a few that looked suitable for surfboards.  A couple were actually "antique".

I think that a slight concave would be make for a cleaner cut of the stringer but resharpening the blade would be a hassle.  Just a simple easy to adjust mini plane with a REAL blade that can be honed to a razors edge.

I paid $35 for this one on Ebay.  It is a Luthier finger plane.  Because it has no side handles like a spoke shave it is difficult to control.  I only use it on knots and funky stringers.  

I just resharpened by mini spoke shave and the thing is trashed.  The blade will hold an edge for awhile but the screw and body of the tool is almost pau.  It is such a shame when you throw a tool away. 

[img_assist|nid=1054969|title=Luthier Finger Plane|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]

i think you guys should make a dust shoot vaccum attachment. everybody that own a skil will buy one.

i have 6 skil and some need work, would the motor compatible with a skil? what about the front shoe?

you could start selling replacement parts!

How about an inline stroke “sander” only the cutting surface is like a surform or dragon skin. Auto body shops have these sanders with dual stroke, four piston, 18" long, pneumatic in line sanders. No?

I’d give the sander a no.  

I'd love to have a clear acrylic (or..) vacuum hood for my Milwaukee (and similar) grinders that would act like the planers do when shaping. If would be great to contain and store the dust from sanding boards in this manner versus having to set up an entire room to handle sanding. The fine dust from sanding infiltrates into everything everywhere quite easily.

As long as we are discussing sanding, a really good palm or flat table type sander also with an efficient vac option would be great that has a REAL ability to remove material quickly while providing blocking/truing action for more precise sand jobs. The palm sanders I am currently using burn out quickly from overheating and are obviously designed for some hobbyist.

A few past & current options to get stringers down.

Try FoamEZ or Fiberglass Supply.  They had them but were sold out.  I think the last time I was in there three or so weeks ago they had 'em..  Also Stanley just started making one that is very similar.  It must be a new product.  I've never seen them before.  They look very similar and us a razor type blade.  Comes with two blades.  I recently bought one at Lowes.  I was in Lowes yesterday and they had them.  Really similar and obviously based on the same design.  95% of the time I go to my Stanley "Mini".  At $8.00 I use them 'til they are dull and them chuck them in a box and buy another.  When I get to half a dozen I have them sharpened. 

Hey D.S., Have you seen the Porter Cable grinder motor sanders with the 5 or 6 inch pads? Random orbit, Variable speed, and with that motor, they make a real nice sander that will last for some time. I have two, one is probably 15 years old and still works great. They have a cowling that encloses the pad for dust retrieval. I’m thinking the clear acrylic will just cloud up with dust and obscure vision. Try looking at: www.cpooutlets.com. They sell re-conditioned tools of all makes.