Surf Biz Growing Pains

Here’s some interesting “industry talk” to peruse:

http://www.theinertia.com/business-media/surf-business-surf-industry-is-growing-up-target-nike/

Suddenly, Target had successfully launched a burgeoning ocean empire by
aligning itself with two of the best young surfers on the planet, and Kolohe Andino’s surfboard, which had long been an object of discussion since he
won his first NSSA National Title at ten years old, became important
for different reasons. People were accustomed to discussing its features
as related to in-water performance: a little shorter, fatter, a small
tweak to the rocker. These were subtle variations that made a big impact
in Kolohe’s surfing career, but now his board, no longer collaged with
the familiar logos that built the surf industry from the ground up,
appeared alien. Andino’s surfboard, his vehicle in the ocean and in
life, bore a new set of iconography. And that Target bulls-eye on the
rail, as a figurative gesture, couldn’t have been more appropriate.

This is an interesting read if you take the time to see who comments and what they say.  As a board manufacturer, anyone that thiks that they will discover the next AI, Curren, or Slater and keep them for more than a nanosecond once they become a ‘branding’ possibility is seriously deluded.

I’m glad to see that some of what they term “endemic” corporations, are getting their faces rubbed into reality like they in turn rub us board builders/manufacturers casting us aside while playing up the ‘one big family’ bullshit.

The reality is C.I. was bought by Burton, Burton could sell to someone like Nike, Adidas, Wilson, Spalding or Head or anyone else that is interested and willing to pay enough. A good portion of O’neill has been sold off, Crocs bought Ocean Minded or someone similar.  It doesn’t really even require a sports company to qualify, Norwegian or Princess Cruise Lines, De Beers, or Time Warner might decide to jump into the fray.

If a little fish swims long enough to get a little bigger they eventually get swallowed up by yet a bigger fish. The big fish has some stockholders that they promise a return to and give them a tiny slice and pocket the whale’s share for themselves. 

The CEO’s and Presidents then go shopping and buy their own island. 

It’s the “American Dream” except that 99.9997% of us aren’t included.

For A.I. to go down and stick his foot in the Puerto Rican water to qualify for $9,000 meeting the ‘making a show’ contract is chump change by comparison. 

Stick a price on your forehead and hope someone is willing to pay it, or go rent “The Magic Christian” if you don’t get any of this.

Bob McKnight never thought it would get to this point. “My initial goals for Quiksilver were just to make boardshorts, go to the beach, keep surfing, have fun, and hopefully make a career out of it – maybe, but I had a whole other backup plan. Never, ever, ever in my wildest dreams did I think it would become what it became. In some ways we still see ourselves like that even though we’re two billion in sales, and we’re public, and we operate in 90 countries, and have offices all over the world and with 800 retail stores and all that other shit…We still pride ourselves on being a little, nimble boardshort company, and that’s why we put every ounce of energy into our boardshorts. Every great company has something that’s their banner product.  For us, it’s boardshorts.”

Most of the surf industry was build on guys loving the surfing life style. Bob McKnight was surfing INDO in the early 70’s. Many of our industry leaders are hard core waterman (Paul Naude CEO Billabong got 3rd Place in 76 at the Pipeline Masters) the list goes on have set up a life style to be able to continue the surf style way of life beyond childhood. Who would of ever thought it would turn into a Billion dollar business? People all over the world love the image of this life style and buy these products that keep the machine fed. OK now we have crowded surf breaks near all Urban Beaches as a result. This has created yet other segment in the surfing economy called: Surf Travel. Surfing is amazing and is still growing not because of any one person or corporation. This type of growth is called “Organic” no one can stop it at this point. Those who know how to follow this growth and package it in a way people can use are not only lucky but clever. The Market Place is demanding it. 99.997% of the population is over worked and simply stressed out. I wonder sometimes if those with a $800,000 mortage and working 60 hours a week are not actually supid? I was just in Tahiti and these young men were catching 90 pound Dog Tooth Tuna and surfing perfect uncrowed waves in warm weather wearing swim trunks and tank tops every day. While cooking a Whole Pig with the Tahitiians laughing and telling stories I forgot about the material grind of life. Surfing represents this carefree way of living. The Surf Industry is only producing Products that remind people of what really matters. Sure Surfing has become mainstream and the larger corporations swallowing the smaller companies. However I believe that the larger surf companies will only get bigger and people will work longer and harder to make a living and just dream about a carefree live style while living in the RAT RACE. The Surf Industry is the way it is because of the consumer demand.

Kind regards,

surfidng

1976 = Rory Russell $1,500 first place

2009 = Taj Burrow $90,000 first place

Pipeline Masters

Surfings come a long way!

We still pride ourselves on being a little, nimble boardshort
company, and that’s why we put every ounce of energy into our
boardshorts.

I m quoting this cause checking the shorts in the shops I cannot see that involvement

what I really see is branding in those shorts

so the only thing that seems important is how big the logo is

but nuthin about of what is wrong in the shorts and wetsuits and leashes

and of course the bad taste of the cloth designers.

No mention of Shaun White's endorsement contract with American Express?

A magazine article a year or two profiled the relationship between Shaun White and Tony Hawk - Hawk had been giving White advice on the management of his career.  The gist of it went something like "Don't settle for for something stupid like a t-shirt company contract."

With the American Express contract, I'd say it sounds like he took White's advice. 

Smart move.

[quote="$1"]

Here's some interesting "industry talk" to peruse:

http://www.theinertia.com/business-media/surf-business-surf-industry-is-growing-up-target-nike/

Suddenly, Target had successfully launched a burgeoning ocean empire by aligning itself with two of the best young surfers on the planet, and Kolohe Andino’s surfboard, which had long been an object of discussion since he won his first NSSA National Title at ten years old, became important for different reasons. People were accustomed to discussing its features as related to in-water performance: a little shorter, fatter, a small tweak to the rocker. These were subtle variations that made a big impact in Kolohe’s surfing career, but now his board, no longer collaged with the familiar logos that built the surf industry from the ground up, appeared alien. Andino’s surfboard, his vehicle in the ocean and in life, bore a new set of iconography. And that Target bulls-eye on the rail, as a figurative gesture, couldn’t have been more appropriate.

[/quote]

The familiar logos that built the so called " industry " from the ground up need to go away completely. They are ALL rotten to the core and eat their own when it suits them.   The sooner the better. It's actually less hypocritial using Target who has nothing to do with surfing and doesn't really claim to than using some so called Surf companies that really have nothing to do with paddling out and having fun either.  Some of the owners surf.  So what?  Quik doesn't equal surfing. It simply equals fashion.  It just uses surfing as pretext.

Target will soon realize what a losing proposition it is and be out of it.  Hopefully followed by all of the labels that claim to have built the industry.

[quote="$1"]

Bob McKnight never thought it would get to this point. “My initial goals for Quiksilver were just to make boardshorts, go to the beach, keep surfing, have fun, and hopefully make a career out of it – maybe, but I had a whole other backup plan. Never, ever, ever in my wildest dreams did I think it would become what it became. In some ways we still see ourselves like that even though we’re two billion in sales, and we’re public, and we operate in 90 countries, and have offices all over the world and with 800 retail stores and all that other shit…We still pride ourselves on being a little, nimble boardshort company, and that’s why we put every ounce of energy into our boardshorts. Every great company has something that’s their banner product.  For us, it’s boardshorts.”

Most of the surf industry was build on guys loving the surfing life style. Bob McKnight was surfing INDO in the early 70's. Many of our industry leaders are hard core waterman (Paul Naude CEO Billabong got 3rd Place in 76 at the Pipeline Masters) the list goes on have set up a life style to be able to continue the surf style way of life beyond childhood. Who would of ever thought it would turn into a Billion dollar business? People all over the world love the image of this life style and buy these products that keep the machine fed. OK now we have crowded surf breaks near all Urban Beaches as a result. This has created yet other segment in the surfing economy called: Surf Travel. Surfing is amazing and is still growing not because of any one person or corporation. This type of growth is called "Organic" no one can stop it at this point. Those who know how to follow this growth and package it in a way people can use are not only lucky but clever. The Market Place is demanding it. 99.997% of the population is over worked and simply stressed out. I wonder sometimes if those with a $800,000 mortage and working 60 hours a week are not actually supid? I was just in Tahiti and these young men were catching 90 pound Dog Tooth Tuna and surfing perfect uncrowed waves in warm weather wearing swim trunks and tank tops every day. While cooking a Whole Pig with the Tahitiians laughing and telling stories I forgot about the material grind of life. Surfing represents this carefree way of living. The Surf Industry is only producing Products that remind people of what really matters. Sure Surfing has become mainstream and the larger corporations swallowing the smaller companies. However I believe that the larger surf companies will only get bigger and people will work longer and harder to make a living and just dream about a carefree live style while living in the RAT RACE. The Surf Industry is the way it is because of the consumer demand.

Kind regards,

surfidng

1976 = Rory Russell $1,500 first place

2009 = Taj Burrow $90,000 first place

Pipeline Masters

Surfings come a long way!

[/quote]

McKnight is lying. Once you have done business with them you find out how much they lie and what type of rotten, but lucky snake oil salesmen they really are. Ask some of the small surf shops they have run out of business for the big ones or the ones they cut off who were doing fine, but a big shop up the street didn't want to compete fairly.   I see your example of Rory vs Taj...if you move ahead a few years years and wait and see how their lives turn out...surfing might not have come very far at all.  Reading some of the stuff about Andy....I don't think much has changed for the better.   It's just bigger and more in your face now.

I still enjoy creativity and early on Quik had that, but now they are just a big business with huge egos.  You mention Paul. Nice enough guy..like some of the guys at Quik..but they still play the big stores against the small stores and will open Dillards, but tell a core shop they can't have the brand. 

F' em all.

Start Here, 

F' em all.

[/quote]