temp work in the US?

Hey all,

I’m seriously considering a temporary relocation to the US from the UK to be near my parents that are getting older. So, just wondering what the work situation is out there, and if anyone knows of anything going.

I’ve got permanent residency and ss number as i used to live out there for a long time, so there are no visa issues.

if you want to know more about me, just look at my website, www.royalsurfboards.com 

thanks for your time

I've seen pictures of your work, looks good.  Unless you have some bad habits you shouldn't have a problem, provided there is an opening around somewhere.  Getting a little late for the Christmas rush on board orders, but you may be able to hook up with a factory for Spring/summer orders.   The US economy may also be doing better by then.  Most small business owners have put exspansion on hold as they wait to see what the career politicians and the Ruling Class Elite do regarding tax hikes  You should focus in  on location.  Will you be on the West Coast or East Coast?   Orange County/Westminster and North San Diego/Oceanside are the heart of the Industry in So. Cal.  Santa Cruz to the North.  North Carolina and Forida /Melbourne to the East.  You will probably also have to focus on one aspect of the process;  sanding, laminating, fins or whatever.  Chances are any established shop is going to need someone to fill a spot in one specific aspect.  Hope that helps.  Just remember the US Economy sucks right now, no matter what you here from the Goebels types in the US press.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve got a pretty good reputation in Europe, so think my stuff is good - not trying to be an ego maniac, just saying. There’s always someone better though, so I’m not going to say I’m hot shit or anything like that.

I have worked in a few factories over the years, starting with Channin in San Diego, so will start out there I guess. I do the whole process, so don’t mind doing anything, but polishing! I’ve just been trained on the APS machine as well, so hope to put it all to use somewhere… just not sure where yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on the economic situation as well. Things here in most of Europe, are very quiet, especially in England. I have heard that things aren’t much better in the US, so it is good to hear that it may be better in the spring, which is when I’d be thinking of coming over. They’ve just increased our sales tax to 20% on top of all the other cuts they’re making, so can’t see how that’s going to help sales of any sort here for a while…

Just wanted to see what others may think about it, and appreciate your comments. Got a lot to think about over the holidays…!

always can pick pineapples here…