Planers? Bosch/Makita

Hi im new to swaylocks, been shaping for a couple of years now. I think its time for me to invest in a new planer. I cant decide which one to get.

I live in ireland and as far as i know there is no one over here who does any mod kits.

I have looked at bosch and makita, but the bosch gho 40-82 looks to be the best

Does anyone have any feedback and advise for me? Thanks

Go the Guiness!

similar thread over here…

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/hitachi-bosch-planer-mod-kits

older info, but discussion of a few diff planer types, depending on whats available in yer locale.

ear protection! I’m tinnitus all over the place these days (mostly confined to the ears thankfully).

im upgrading the tools in the shop as well and sitting here at 4am suffering complete planer overload…

bosch or makita :wink:

as
tools go, i own heaps of bosch and have had years of valuable service
from them…the mod threads on the makita are interesting to say the
least, but forking out on a decent tool and hacking it apart makes me
nervous…

to me the Makita KP0810 seems like the go, i like the look of the handle over the bosch.

what did you decide on in the end? how’s it working out for you, interested whether you went on the mod route?

on the flip side i’m intrigued but these cheapo planers, ithe positioning of the handle is a little more upright…

http://www.lambopowertools.com/special-offers/900w-planer.html

waiting to hear on shipping but for the price, may be a better candidate for hacking into…dust extraction on one side only though

Hello Donal, If you choose the Makita you won't be disappointed but the Lambo. planer you put up doesn't look too bad. Can't say without checking the specs but for 47 punts and it comes with carbide blades isn't a bad deal. I have a Clark Hitachi and have had no problems with it. I've done a few hundred with it and no complaints. The resident planer guru is; PeteC. If you PM him he'll be able to offer good advice. I believe he's finished his mod plans for the Makita also. I'm a woodworker for a living and as far as quality goes Bosch, Makita, Hitachi are all comparable. I've owned and used tools from all three makers and am happy with any one of them.Good Luck and All the Best.

ps. What's the staus of Crab Island??

Hey Donal, I forgot you might want to check out: www.cpooutlets.com  They sell reconditioned tools and still provide a one year warranty. All different makes of tools including Bocsh and Makita.

ah cool…im gonna go the makita, keep it “as manufacturer” for a while just for skinning… and one of these fancy looking cheap lambos to play and mod out for shaping with…my tools have had many years of service, keep telling herself i’m due new tools :wink:

as for crab…seems to be all up in the air again, wave studies (council studies no less!) show that revised plans for a new (slightly altered) pier will still affect the wave, along with forcing surfers to paddle across ferry traffic to a wave murdered with backwash…seems like there is a real shit fight brewing…west coast surf club are organised but the support from all irish surf clubs and surfers is most likely going to be called on…

it seems the council are more interested in what ferry operators have to say…

the period for submissions and objections is now closed…so from my reading its wait on the decision of the bureaucrats…One can only hope the higher profile of surfing as a tourism industry in county clare comes to the forefront…

alas…in the Emerald Isle, surfers are still viewed as a lower lifeform…one can only hope the recent explosion of the sport ensures it develops support from all walks of life…

thanks for input on the planers…tradesmen over here are suffering the pain…awful careful with new purchases :wink:

Hello Donal, It isn't only the Emerald Isle that surfers are looked upon as lower lifeforms. Thanks for the update on Crab, hope they work it out. It's frustrating because breaks are natural occurances that you can't manufacture. A pier/quay is man made and can be placed anywhere. I've seen at least four foot chop at the launch ramp there and watched an older Gent and his son launch their Curragh like it was a calm day. I was thinking, that water is cold and like a washing machine and with only the skin on frame vessel, these guys must have brass cojones (you can guess what those are). They probably do it daily, If it were me I'd have gone back to the turf pile and then to the fire. If we can help with further petitions and such let us know on the forum. It would be a real loss if they took it away. Slainte`.

hey donal

B&Q have the p20sb on sale that is easily modded last week think it was only €90 in the sale.

Howzit donal,It all comes down to money and boaters spend a lot more money than surfers. Every time they launch they have to pay add regitration fees,Gas and the fact tha owning a boat is like having a hole to throw your money into nd never seeing it again. We buy a surfboard and don't have to pay to jump in the water and paddle out or pay for gas or registration fees so the boaters have more pull than we do. The one thing we do have going for us is the eco friendly part of surfing since we don't leave a trail of gas in out wake or sit in the boat and smoke ciggies and toss the butts in the water or beer cans also so the eco guys like surfers more thn boaters and they are making ground when it comes to power. I hope things work out for you guys and to heck with a ferry, just look at what happened to the ferry in Hawaii hen it trie to come to Kauai, never happened sine the protesters held them off. Aloha,Kokua

i agree, boats are an expensive hobby/profession, but i don’t have a lot of sympathy for these particular ferry operators.

one of irelands most beautiful places, they have tourists falling over themselves to see the aran islands and buy an itchy wooly jumper, and pay a whopping price for the privilege…

the reason they’re building a new pier is because they are doing roaring trade, and want bigger boats, has frig all to do with safety…

its the old profit before people scenario…this country is crooked as all hell…people may voice and object all they want, but at the end of the day the authority (and the money behind it) will do as they please…and those with legitimate voice will be held to the letter of the law…

this website gives a better indication of the gombeens we have to suffer…cold water indo?..maybe :wink: , but try and live with the locals…

http://www.shelltosea.com/

enough of that anyway, started a new board this evening for myself, stoked already…7’0 chapter style, summer is coming…

Well, Pog Mo` Thoin! Feckin Shite!!

I use Argos cheapo planers, good positioned handle and knob. Just keep the blades sharp. If you take out the extended warranty, when you burn it out you just bring it back and they give you a brand new one :).   Vacuum out all the dust first!