Shapers Drum

Anyone using Shapers Drum?  Is it worth getting?  I'm using standard cutting knives on my planer.  If you use it, is the final product better?  Does it save you time on sanding?  All comments are appreciated.

Hey mf,

I bought one from the crew at shapers and there is no comparison.

I have used Burfords, Core, South Coast and Dragon blanks. They all chunk out with the tungsten knife blades, even new blades, causing shedding foam to be an arduous, slow and boring process, not the vibe you want to conceive your new weapon in!

Buy the barrel as soon as you can. You’ll love it.

-J

Thanks J!  Where did you get your?  Can I ask the cost?  I appreciate the information. 

Mike

Hey Mike,

yeah the crew are on Traders Way just off Currumbin Creek Rd, on the Gold Coast Q

http://www.shapers.com.au/categories/Surfboard-Shaping-Tools/Shapers-Barrel/ is the page to look at the goods but they have way more variety than you can see there.

Probably it’s best to call up and talk about which planer you would prefer to use and they’ll let you know if they have a barrel for you. They ship OS too.

Can I post phone #s here? Not sure, but it’s on there site.

In the US see http://www.foamez.com/shaping-surfboards-power-tools-acc-c-2_25.html and check them out same way. I don’t know which barrel is the bomb but any barrel is better that blades.

I’ve read up here that some people were having trouble with bearings wigging out and were recommending beefing up the bearings so they can cope. That’s what I read.  I have a 10 year old Ryobi 20mm rebate planer. The boys didn’t stock my barrel but they happened to have one from 10 years ago collecting dust in the broom coupboard, so I got lucky, total fluke. It has 2 x 10mm sections across the barrel that have no grits apparently this helps stop overheating your planer parts. So far so good but i’m only up to 20 boards. I’ve talked to dudes who have well over 5000 from one barrel and still carving strong.

Good Luck with that, how are you shaping them at the present? (Barrels are so much faster than what i was doing!)

Cheers-J