end of an era---george gerlach

An era in eastern surfing ended today with the passing of George Gerlach the founder of Surfer Supplies, and east coast hall of fame surfer and catalyst of much of what all you youngin's call surfing here in the east.       Ok, before i wax too sloppy i'll go have another beer.   Go with God George......a true friend and fellow ole fart.......

RIP George! What a great man! 

If it wasn't for George and the environment he created at Surfers Supplies, I would have given up on surfing back in 1988- the year I first walked into his shop.

He will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

Scott

My condolences to the family, and all the surfers that knew George he was one incredible guy. He will truly be missed.  George is one of the true surfers from the early pioneer days of east coast surfing. God Bless You George!

Billy Curry

My parents bought me my first surfboard from George for Christmas in 1985. I was 15 and of course I wanted a 6'0" thruster, George talked them into a 6'10" Stewart tri-fin egg. I did not realize it until years later but that board changed everything and helped me really learn to surf. Thanks George!

He will be missed, but Surfer's Supplies' legacy is in very good hands.

One of the pioneers … a great one

For anyone interested: Greg Beck, the current proprietor of Surfers Supplies, is organizing a paddle-out for George Gerlach at 5PM on Saturday, May 7th, at the 31st Street beach in Ocean City, NJ. Following the paddle, the plan is for friends of George to gather at Obidiah’s restaurant on Roosevelt Boulevard (continuation of OC’s 34th St.) in Marmora. For details and any changes, please see the Surfers Supplies page on Facebook.

I was saddened to learn of the passing of George Gerlach. I first walked into his shop in 1964. I loved it. Those days it was just an assortment of boards and maybe some

wetsuits. Commercial surf wax was not available yet. George was a pioneer, a free spirit, and always with a smile and in an up mood. I bought my 1st board there a 1967

9'-2" G&S stretch model for like $80.00. Surfed with him a few times. Never bought a board from any other shop. I hadn't seen george a lot the last 2 years I will still miss

him. Ride on friend and I'll be up shortly.

Don Volpe

The paddle out for George was held this past Sat evening.  I would guess a good 300 folks on the beach and in the water.  It was a pleasant spring evening, and George even send us a few glassy peelers to play with.  Lots of friends both old and new, I saw people i haven’t seen in 25 years.  from Puerto Rico, Oregon, Colorado , Virginia, and all over NJ.     God Speed, George,  we shall miss you…