CrossStep Footwear

as i mentioned in the above forum…we launched our new surf product last night…

and have been getting alot interest…anyway here’s a pic…and if you’re at poles or the pier today…you will see me using it…

cause the water is a balmy 52 :wink: now…

http://www.indiegogo.com/CrossStep-Footwear?a=72691&i=addr

thanx,

dan

http://www.firstcoastsurfco.blogspot.com

Not sure if troll…

dude..i am no troll...i've been here longer than you..

intereacted on many subjects lord boards, bonzers, fins, hulls, etc...on this forum..

you  shoulda checked my background before you commented.

Ok, not a troll…

That said, your little invention is pretty stupid. It’s a bootie without being a bootie.

“Oh, the tops of my sensitive little feeties are so hurting! If only there was a way to protect them!”

With 1 mm of neoprene? Good luck, you are going to need it.

With that out of the way, I don’t give a fuck how long you have been anywhere or who you have been interacting with, ya got anything else?

I hate booties, I just can’t surf with them, I have never been able to and never will (even though I have attempted it many times throughout the years).

So I think that you are attempting to solve a real problem… with that said I think that surfinghigh has a point, eventhough his toughguy asshole attitude is unwarrented.

Have you tried to construct the booties with some sort of thinner sole material?

If somehow you can come up with a product that protects the entire foot, and provides a better feeling/connection than the current crop of booties, I think that you will be on to something.

you're the troll...

if you don't like it, move along

warranted

sometimes

lolz, gee, sorry to hurt your ears, you must know tough guy when you hear it though.

Face it kiddies, these things wont work, homeboy surgeon tech will lose money, customers will get a crap product and we get more stuff to put in a landfill.

They would flap, period. Those little piggie ringlets will not secure the top.

And how often you guys bash the tops of your feet anyway?

brb, going to get some scissors and an old pair of booties…

Don’t be mad bro, sometimes things just don’t work out.

wat

crisp, obproud..thanx...believe me..ask anybody in santa cruz eastside. rockview/suicides break.i have made a ton of prototypes.over the years..and i did make a full neoprene surf sock...sorta like those yoga socks...(not like that wushu shoe by zem..they were at the surf expo in orlando..those slip all over and off) unfortunately the thinner material rolled under the foot, and the heal and ball of foot wore out..hmmm..thus the idea to keep those areas open...so i have been working with diane/blownout wetsuit repair..my neoprene guru..on changes..this is as i said a very crude prototype..by a marginally talented guy...anyways..i really wanted to feel like i was barefoot...especially noseriding ,but as i said i really dinged my foot on the reefs on the north shore..on my honeymoon of all things...and it always seemed get banged back open.yeah i'm a clutz...and i do drag my foot alittle...all those knee surgeries....over the years.. so i had to wear booties(yes i hate them too)..or my product..and something about the cold water also..causes it to react, so after seeing a orthopedic surgeon.where i worked.i started this 5 yrs ago..i have adapted the top with by crossing reinforcements...and i have been in touch with the same manufacturer as hotline..so he can make it pretty and more structurially sound...this is a very crude model..but it does work...i used it today surfing poles in the morning and i just got back from the pier using it....i have also used in yoga classes..most places are getting rid of mats...and want you to wear the socks and mits..plus it works great in kenpo practice(i'm a 4th dan blackbelt ed parker's system..)..when i'm kicking the bag or sparring and don't wanna wear those pads..or wrestling shoes like some guys do.plus i have used with my swim fins when using my handplane..i hate those neoprene socks...and this pro skimboarder is going nuts over it..and since it's from recycled materials..i'm preventing stuff from going into the landfill..so i have put in the time research, etc..if it works out..great...if not at least i tried and made something for myself..

.plus i wanted to do this on my own...

since my other product   a  development firm in philly...is presenting to some big companies.right now and there should be a contract soon..and then it .should be in walmart, target, 7-11., etc.by spring/summer..unfortunately..i can't even hint to what it is until it comes out...sorry..their rules not mine.....

see all i'm doing is making my own way... workingfor myself.8-12hrs a day ..at all hours of the day and night.

which i like because it takes discipline and hardwork..to create something..and  maybe my company will be something for my girls to take over when i'm senile...and that could be soon..that's all...

as far as constructive criticism.. i welcome it..and expect it....

the other stuff(internet bravado..courage)..i just don't have any time...for it.

Yeah, you mad bro…

Thanks for the bio, I think you left out how hot your wife is and how big your woo woo is…and maybe a shiny Harley…

Lols on claiming Eastside when you lived in San Jose, really?

You might want to see a Doctor again about that foot, I mean it was in 2001, right?

Dude, you will be alright, it’s ok that things don’t always work out.

Btw-and I am not a grammar nazi mind you but look at your keyboard, see the ‘shift’ key? It does some neat things, like cap ‘I’. What is cool about this feature is it allows the reader to figure out what it is they are reading, using visual cues like caps and commas, perids in the right places. Without the use of caps and other necessary punctuation, a post can read like a 12 year old put it up…just saying. I mean, you are looking for 20 grand, right? Would you risk 20 grand on a person with limited writing skills? Write to impress the investor bro!

I know you are old enough to know these things, lets all set a good example, shall we? For our children?

I invented this bro, you jelly?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wuLJUMnP424/TUGsdPZPAnI/AAAAAAAABWo/CJoO5q6Th-U/s320/fordantheman.png

An aside…using recycled wetsuits to make these sissy socks, have you given any thought to the varying degree’s in which you will find your core material (used wetsuits) varying in quality? And assuming overseas production, where are they going to get the raw materials? Ship them from the US? I wear mine till they smell like the outhouse at County Line and leak more than Assange!

Anyway, wish you well, there is hope for all of us, I swear…

Really? ... no REALLY?

i have posted an updated version in the annoucements forum(on my blog, and indiegogo site).

to all who pm's me your kind words , advice, insight and support i greatly appreciate it!

(and yes my wife is doing better with her rehab from the car accident, but it's going to be a long road)

finally, i would like to give a special thank-you to brian hilbers of fineline surfboards for his words and  support.

Hi dansan,

I don’t do much cross stepping and I wear booties to keep my feet warm, but I don’t like the extra weight on my feet.  How are these going to keep my feet warm?  I’m in the county just south of you. It’s a few degrees colder than SC in general and the rocks are more jagged. I use a really basic Body Glove as small as I can comfortably get my feet into without cutting off the circulation.  Mike

mike,

thank-you for the question..

i hear ya.. i hear ya..the weight, cumbersome, lack of feeling with the deck of your board...

actually i am in jax beach, florida..now...

and the water is 48 degrees..yes florida...i know...

it's been this way for weeks  here...so unfortunately i have been wearing booties

sometimes...

i don't remember it being this cold in santa cruz....for this long of a period..

anyway..it will not keep you as warm as a traditional bootie, or even a reef bootie...

i'm using 1-1.5mm..however, it will be warmer than barefeet...

because the skin is so thin on the top of your foot...the chill goes right down to the bone..

anything covering it will help a little...but water will circulate underneath.

so they really weren't designed for that...feature...i am working on a different one

like those toe less yoga socks but made of neoprene, with some traction beads on the bottoms

now that might provide some extra warmth..

lastly ...longboard, shortboard, fish,hull, bonzer,egg, gun, mini-sim,etc, etc.

whatever, you surf is all good to me..i try to...

the key is the connection between you and the surface of your ride...

hope i answered your question with my answer..albiet long-winded..

later,

dano

Hey Dan - I'm not crazy about your footwear, because I like protection on the bottom of my feet.  I surf a lot of rocky beaches, and there is a problem with walking on the rocks, stepping on urchins, slipping on algae, so the protection and traction of the booties' sole is a plus.  And when the water is below 60 degrees, I like to try to keep my toes from going numb also.  Also, the old booties in times past seemed to impede my surfing, but the newer generations of booties don't bother me a bit.  I've got Ninjas and the O'neils with no ankles but harder soles, and they're both good.

I do like your even-keeled approach to posting!

The toe straps would drive me crazy.  I’m just confused.  Is there a demand for this product…really?

huck..mike

...it's always a  trade off...i prefer the ninjas for the 48 degree days here., the xcel reef booties for warmer.days.52-55.

and when it's really warmer i just like the feeling of being  barefoot.with my CrossStep...i dunno..feels .."right".

and i'm lucky here, because it's all sandy beaches...and i have had success in other areas.yoga..pilates, mma..etc..

thus this keep me optimistic

but you guys pose  excellent points

make a bootie that is light..sensitive but protects...has warmth....the new ones are good i just think they could be better..

plus i didn't copy anyone..there is a new company here that has made basically a knock off of the vibram five fingers bootie,oh..there are some minor changes..but looks the same to me..and it is selling it for the same price..$89.95!!!..why bother?

(i'd like the Crossstep to sell for $29.95)

back to the point...to me( and this is my biased opinion) the wetsuit makers are locked into this cruising mode..like the surfboard industry was before clark closed...some improvements here and there..but nothing groundbreaking..now look at things since..they are so many materials and ideas out there...i dunno maybe it's just me..and i got this looney idea in my head...but i had two other ideas that i didn't pursue.., and they were  made and doing well..so i'd kick myself if i didn't pursue this even if i fail..i'll feel better..either way..plus as i mentioned my other idea.. a firm is going nuts over it now..working on the packaging etc...man i can't wait until that goes thru!..anyway..

.as far as the old "rock dance"....unless we put "octapus-suckers" on the bottom  ;-)  nothing is going to make that slip and slide journery thru the kelp. and grasses..with the reef exposed(because  the littoral current moved the sand ) underneath...any easier..with all those nooks and crannies to twist your ankle...as far as urchins..i was lucky.. the otters seemd to be pretty chubby..so they must have cleaned them out, because the kelp was super thick

but as i mentioned..and this might or might not answer your question/problem mike...if you've ever seen those yoga socks...without the toes...they are pretty good design, except being made of fabric..they get water logged..loose, etc..so   possibly  the answer might be a neoprene version...re-worked ..with some material removed from the ball of the foot...

and heel. like said..i work on these things day and night...and i really enjoy it...so keep it coming...i mean i ain't trying to get rich..i'm trying to make something  that is going to enhance/improve my enjoyment of surfing..

which i think is the basis for all the cool stuff that has, is and will come out in surfing

i would like to give a shout out to diane at blownout westsuit repair in santa cruz..the repair guru, and  my neoprene mentor..

and peggy nelson who designed the instep protector for knee paddling .. their advice,insights, and encouragement..and above loyal friendship makes it all worth it...thank-you.

Or, something like the Vibram five toed thing.  I was given a gift certificate for REI and tried some on.  Really uncomfortable.  Plus, they cost around a 100 bucks. I couldn’t get my little toe to uncurl and fit in the hole.  The sales guy suggested toe spacers to stretch them out.  I’m not kidding.  Still makes me laugh.  Design something that accommodates actual human feet and not a chimpanzee that sell for 30 or 40 bucks and I’ll buy it. I think it’s doable and you seem to like this type of problem solving.  Good luck.

Hope the wife is healing.  Mike

those vibrams are way uncomfortable..and the sole is much harder than regular booties...

they really are made for trail running, etc not surfing....toe spacers..i have them..my yoga teacher turned me on to them..

supposed helps your overall health..pressure points,..meridians..don't think that would help you with the vibram's..

interesting sales technique...by that guy..insulting you...niceeee.

and .that's why i was so confused to see this local company here...pretty much do the same thing for the same price..

who needs a copy of something that doesn't work...

yeah i'm seriously starting to re-tool  .. to make  a prototype to be like those toeless yoga socks,

but made of neoprene with grip on the bottom..and i really think $30-40 is reasonable....i have several anatomical foot models...

which makes it easier to work with..

because it's pretty hard to stitch material on your own feet..unless you want a serious acupuncture session!

thanks for asking ..yes she is doing better...slowly...rehab is hard for her..she's peanut..5'5"  115lbs soaking wet..so the impact really banged her up..and then she saw some pics of the accident..and that kinda shook her up for a day..or two..

again thanks for your input..every little bit helps..

dano

Dan when I wear foot protection, it is probably more for the sole. Getting out over the reef or walking in and not worrying about sea urchins is the primary reason I would wear protection. Gotta admit that I’m noticing more bruises on the top of my feet since I am on blood thinners.

I have not found something that has a nice flat sole that is strong enough to handle the reef and urchins, yet feels comfortable surfing with. Something like that might win over a lot of people.

sharkc,

first,thanks  for the input

second sorry your on those meds..are they working for you?and yes they will do that...bruising

third, yup..i am realizing that while i now may have the comfort of sandy beaches,

that perhaps a  re-tooling is necessary..to re-design the sole...will keep your guys updated when it happens..

again thanx,

dano