Best Southern Cal Hotel Surf Spot

I thinking of flying over to southern california to kill a couple of days between business trips.

I have to go to Austin Texas and then either fly back to Honolulu and  fly out to Milwaukee the next week or fly over to Cal and kill a couple of days and then fly out to Milwaukee from there.

it'll probably save me 5-6 hours of flight time and connections going each way.

so other than the St Regis fronting salt creek, what other 4 star hotel would you southern californians recommend where you can walk out and get some decent surf right outside your door like you can in waikiki or at the hanalei St Regis or Starwood at Kalapaki Bay?

Us Hawaiians are spoiled you know with easy access to surf and warm water.

If there's nothing then I'll just have them fly me home so I can surf at home and then fly back out again a day or two later. If I was guaranteed that they'd put me on the same airlines I'd do it just for the miles but it'll be the cheapest fare if anything.

mahalo

right now I'm looking at popping in around the Point Loma area on the Friday 4/15 and leaving for warmer waters on 4/17

probably somewhere near Point Loma Inn and hanging with Captain Melville and other various known Seal Killers.

I really would like to get some decent surf sessions this time to say I did

nothing big just surfing, exchanging stories and comparing notes with the gang. 

Just hope I can deal with the stiff rubber and the cold

a 2mil winter wind top is uncomfortable enough for us spoiled hawaiians.

I guess you can check with Keith if you're game over that weekend.

Hi Bernie,

there is a Holiday Inn (?) at California St. in Ventura and there is a no tell motel called The Carmelo right next to the Rip Curl Shop in San Clemente for Uppers.

If there’s the right south running, then staying at the Hotel Del Coronado can yield results…

You can cross the border down to Mexico (where, if you go, it is said you will die) and stay at K38 – some very nice surf if it’s winter.

Does Ventura count as Southern California?  Plenty places to stay close to C St…

Assuming Bernie’s plans firm up, I’m thinking maybe this calls for a Swaylock’s BBQ and unofficial get-together…on Saturday April 16th? 

Will this be authentic Hawaiian style – IOW, out-of-towners are barbequed?  If so, I’m bringing the A-1.

To be authentic – we use Cholula sauce (not A-1) at my house, and we only cut our BBQ with razor blades bent in an “L” shape.

I just caught this post

Is this by invitation only?

you’re invited, Ken!

when you guys figure out where,, PM me directions

hey guys i can eat anywhere and probably will be pigging out for the two weeks prior at the best restaurants on some vendor’s dime.

talk is fun but let’s get some serious surf time in this time.

Last time I came up I never even made it into the water plus I’ll be flying back home from wonderful milwaukee. 

be nice to catch up with you all again

ok, we’ll just plan on surfing round the clock!  granola bars in the lineup, two 4 hour sessions per day!

I know where you hang out Keith...........Granola bars suck....Let's grill some beef,chicken and fish!...:)

must guarantee that Bernie gets to surf - #1 priority

after that, food!!

we’ll get together on the beach, that way no excuses.

currently in sunny warm milwaukee (joke) but will finally make my way to point loma this friday.

probably be hanging at the pearl in SD but i hope to see some of you soon at keith’s this weekend.

due to a variety of circumstances i haven’t had much water time so it’ll be interesting paddling out into some ice cold water.

hope its not flat and i hope its not too big as keith and jay folks are well known hell men chargers…

see ya soon…