RIP JMMY

Former world champ Jimmy Blears passed away last week on Oahu.

Howzit sonny, He had been living on Kauai with his sister and her husband for a few years and I got to reknow him after over meeting him in the early 70's on Oahu, He used to help us judge contests sometimes when we needed another judge but I can say he really looked bad and I think he had both alcohol and drug problems but he was a good guy with a good heart. I know his Dad was in bad shape and confined to a wheelchair,but don't know if he is still alive. Do you know what jimmy died of, hope it was natural causes and not drugs. Sorry to hear his passing,RIP JB. Aloha,Kokua

Surfed with him many times … he won an unpopular contest at a time when competitive surfing was unpopular.  A great surfer who never really got his due.

At the end of his career as a lifeguard Jimmy was stationed at Ala Moana park, right in front of Courts and big lefts. He was a nice guy and was always willing to talk. I used to see him up at the Sunset tower in the late 70’s early 80’s. I remember talking to him after the surf reports started using face heights and he was strongly in favor of it. I once asked if he missed working on the North Shore and he kinda said it was time for him to retire. I hope he had a chance to enjoy retirement.

He was one of our heros when we were kids. 

aloha greg, jimmy was a brother, we were a bunch of guys that surfed oahu all through high school and after, this guy could just plain surf period! It is a shock to all off his close homeboys, we are having services soon on waikiki beach!

Aloha sonny,I surfed with him back before I moved to Kauai in 73 but I don't think he was still surfing when he moved to Kauai and lie I said earier he was not looking to good and was pretty spaced out but he could still judge contests with a clear head. I was the one who would get in touch when we were having a contest so he would know when and where to show up since he could use the money or the clothing which was the 2 ways we got paid. I think he is in a happier place now. Aloha,Kokua 

Last try to post a link here...let's see

http://vagabondsurf.com/JimBlearsWorldChampSurfer.html

Wrote this back in 2002, lightyears ago in internet time, getting to be a fair while in real time too. I didn't know Blears at all, other than seeing him at the contest and a couple of times in a tower in Hawaii. But when I review my surfing experience I always think of him.

Aloha to all that have posted on this thread. I just found out that Kauai Pine Trees LongBoard Surf Classic Contest will be honoring Jimmy this year and his picture will be on the contest T-Shirts. I know I have 2 on order for me since I always get some since I worked it for almost 30 years and this wil be the first year I won't even though I was asked to come and be a judge.You might be able to order them from the hanalei surf company web site. Aloha,Kokua

From a fringe element in the scene, who attended the paddle-out yesterday, comes the story that Jimmy had gone through rehab and gotten things more or less under control, but moved back to Oahu, fell back into old ways and OD'd.

Another one.

Aloha Honolulu, I am so sorry to hear that but in his later years you could tell he was a bit weak about that kind of stuff but he was a good guy and always came through when it came to helping us judge contests. Is his dad still alive or has he passed awy also. Jimmy used totell me about how bd off his dad was and I think that he may have moved back to Oahu to help take care of him and I am supposed to get 2 hirts rom the longboard contest and they should have a picture of him on them. Not sure if they have had the contest yet and I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to email any of the people who are still working it, I was the senior member of the committee till I left nd this is the first year I was not in it ( first 3 ) or running it ( all the rest ) and I will find ut if they have any left for sale and if they do,most likely Hanalei Surf Co would be the ones selling them. Aloha,Kokua

I grew up, on the beach of Waikiki. The Blears Family was part or it as well as Doc Paskowitz and his family then. Both familys were cemented into the the Waikiki Beachboys Ohana then.

Lord "Tally Ho " Blears was a wrestler, had that English style swagger about himself and wrestling in the late 50's and early 60's along with roller derby, was where the action was in those days at the Honolulu Civic Auditorium. The wrestlers & roller derby stars would be on the beach early, helping rake the beach along with the Beachboys, getting ready, to "open the beach for the day.

Along with "Tally Ho", he had a wife that you just went "WOW" at. Tall, with long black hair and always wore a tiger stripped bikini with platformed high heels. Mom, definately had boobage too!! They both made a striking couple walking down the sands of Waikiki Beach. A big, stocky, blonde haired wrestler, with a striking, raven haired woman in a tiger stripped bikini with boobage... Holy Moly!!

There were four kids in the Blears Ohana. Carol the oldest, then Jimmy, Laura & Clinton and they all surfed, the entire Family surf'd. As little kids growing up on Waikiki Beach, your "uncles" were "Steamboat " , "Rabbit", "Watanabe", "Waltah", "Ducky Auld", "Panama", "Turkey Love", and a host of other's, working daily on the beach. How could you not, learn from Waikiki's best! The kids learned how to surf, ride and steer outrigger canoes and you could always hear "Dad" in the distance bellowing out, as he caught a wave, "Tally Hoooooo". Laura, became quite famous herself for doing a nude surfing Playboy article years back.

We got better, watching guy's like Joey Cabell, Buddyboy Kaohi, Scooterboy, Buzzy Trent, Buffalo Keaulana, Paul Gebauer, Barry Kanai'uapuni surfing Queens on a daily basis or doing the "paddle down from Queens, to Canoes, then out to "Pop's", over to Paradise and then "3's". Catch a few through Fort DeRussy, and Kaisers, was just becoming a surf spot with Henery J. Kaiser digging out a channel for his catamarans to take visitors out for a sail. Rock Piles and then "Ala Moana" and across the channel, before Magic Island was built, the infamous rights, of "Garbage Hole". It was a right of passage that guys like Jimmy did. A wonderful guy with a big ass smile.

He surf'd with the best, His Family melted into the Hawaiian community and were embraced warmly. Jimmy's Dad for years was the announcer for the Makaha International Championships and the ABC Wide World of Sports and carrried over to the North shore with the Sunset Beach events. Jimmy just continued to make the transition from Waikiki to the north shore as a lifeguard. Jimmy also became a World Surfing Champion in Ocean Beach, San Diego. Not many remember Jimmy as a world champion, but his surfing ability's spoke loudlly enough as well as his courage as a lifeguard on the north shore of Oahu.

Jimmy had his demons later in life, moved here to Kauai's and tried to better himself, lost it, regained it and kept trying as best he could. There's a whoe book that could be written about Jimmy's Ohana and himself with certainly others to add to the mix. I missed Jimmy's services held at the Waikiki Naditorium on Oahu but from video footage that I saw, there were many old times friends that I haven't seen in years, celebrating Jimmy life with Jimmy's Ohana. The tears finally came, watching the video footage.

I'll just remember Jimmy as just another kid growing up in Waikiki, surfing our okole's off, learning from the best of the Waikiki Beachboys and running with it, with the gift of surfing in our hearts & soul's.

PPK

Aloha Peter, Great story and you tell it so well. Hope everybody is doing good and I miss you all and Kauai also and hope to get back there one of these days soon if nohing else for a vacation. Tell Deb Aloha from me. Aloha,Wildog

I should also add, as Kokua did, Jimmy was honored this year at the 32nd Annual PineTree's Longboard Surfing Classic here in Hanalei, Kaua'i. Charlie Cowden, who for many years has run and sponsored this contest along with Bobby Coch's who at one time owned Kai Kane Surf Shop in Hanalei and Mark Sausen, who shapes boards here. Charlie, wanted to honor the passing of Jimmy and put him on the back of the PineTree's T-shirt this year.

Carol, Jimmy's sister and her husband Jamie, were very gracious in contributing a very neat photo of Jimmy to go on the back of the T-shirt. For many years, you could always count on seeing Jimmy up in the Lifeguard Tower at Sunset Beach, always ready for the challenge, in doing his job.

PPK

Very beautiful Junior Champ!

Wiakiki - Tally Ho gave me a dollar in 1960  - said welcome to America Midget - I learnt from him and the people who knew him.

Lots of stage presence - learnt in the ring - certain he wrestled in Australia earlier - good fun!!!

Jimmy (World Champion) inherited the 1970’s - hard time - so many challenges.

If you think about it - so many values were being tested.

So hard to make it all work!!

Regards

MF