Yancy Spencer Dies

I have known Yancy almost my entire surfing life.  We have been friends, adversaries, business competitors and most everything in between.  When someone you know well,  but whom you have have some some sticky patches with along the way dies young,  it literally leaves you speechless.  Even with some of our differences, the guy was one of the best natural surfers I knew.  Last time I saw him surfing I was thinking how he ripped for a 60 year old.  Better than most 20 year olds. I hear he died surfing in California.  Doing what he loved.   The death of people we know are cause for reflection.   Rest in peace Y.S.  

Our lives are fragile.  

Surfed with Yancy since we were in juniors … surfed against him just a few years ago in the longboard pro event at CB pier.  Sad news … one of my most respected rivals taken too soon.  RIP Yancy … I’ll miss you in the lineup.

I saw your LB heat with YS  at CB old man.  You can hang with the best of them yourself.  ; )

While living on the Gulf coast, I always loved watching him surf on the videos posted to the innerlightsurf.com website.  He most definitely knew how to ride with style.  I never met him, but he also seemed like a very kind guy who had a true passion for life. 

My thoughts and prayers are with the Spencer family. 

Thanks … my last surf with YS … well attended at least.

I met Yancy several years back, oddly enough, at an Easter Contest at "Canaveral Pier". I was also entered in the Legends Longboard Pro. I introduced myself and chatted for awhile with him. He struck me as humble, polite and a great ambassador for our sport. My condolences to his friends and family.

I think this needs to be moved

I think this needs to be moved

What ever the mods want is fine by me.  I figured it was a current event.

The paddle out was an event. In almost every way.  I don't think I will live to see anything else like it at our beach.  Fought with YS as competitors, surfed for him, was friends with him and like I said,  most everything in between.  I stand by some of my issues about business practices and the industry and etc, but what I saw the last couple of days was an honest, non pretentious, outpouring of love and affection.  

I was sitting next to my old shaper from my HB days Bob Hurley who was sitting next to Pete Dooley of Natural Art, who was sitting next to Bob Rohman of Quiksilver who was sitting next to Ricky Carroll of R and D surf and Local Motion.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the place when the kids and the wife quit speaking.  Yancy's wife gave the best testimony of a wife and husband in love after over 30 years as the first day they married as you will ever hear spoken.  I don't know how they got through it.  Young Yancy did his father proud.    

Our past differences aside, I'm going to miss the old guy. I'm glad we ended on good terms the last few of years.  YS had two sides. A very intense competitor in business and the waves while at the same time... a gentle soul. When it came to business locally you were either with him or against him. In surfing he almost always just naturally got the best wave and was with BZR Turner... almost always one of the first and best guys out.  Many folks will give testimony to an ability to forgive and forget once the air was cleared and many more will give testimony of his compassion for those he loved.   He was a surfing landmark in Pensacola and with his passing will end  and era of over 40 years.  The kids will certainly carry on the surfing talent, but Pensacola beach Surfing will never be the same. 

The old style Pensacola Beach after party was also a classic.  Listening to Hank Warner talk about Butch Van artsdalen passing on a beer with friends to get the gremy (Hank at the time ) home was great.  Hearing how he and Skip named his old shop Harrys was another.  They simply don't gather the way we used to anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NzoCsmwMgY

This was a trip.

Thanks Solo