sion milosky

incredibly sad news

mavs has a thing for hawaiians…

my heart goes out to his family

the only good i can see from this is that he passed doing what he loved…

aloha sion

Aloha shakabear, He was from Hanalei and I knew him since he was a little kid and he turned out to be a really good surfer and I am so sad to hear this news. So it happened at Maverick's, when did it happen and I take it he drowned. Is there any news items about it that I can read to get the details, damn what a bummer, surfers from Kauai are not having a good year. RIP Sion. Aloha,Kokua

http://santacruz.patch.com/articles/hawaiian-surfer-sion-milosky-dies-at-mavericks#photo-5296548

RIP Sion

that account sends chills and tears streaming down my cheek…

the foam and blood part is especially hard to read

i like most did not know sion personally but when one of the tribal members goes down, we all feel for the victim, family and community.

dedicated water mountain riders are a rare breed, seemingly invinceable when you see what they do first hand.

when proven they are mere mortals, it seems unbelievable

if anyone would like to partake in a paddle out ceremony for him in san diego i would gladly join…

otherwise my next wave will be for him, and his family…

rest in peace brother sion…you lived a life most will never experience…and this i hope rests easy with your soul and those who loved you…

aloha sion

shakabear

Howzit knowaloha,Thanks for the link to the news item but they got it right about him being from Kalahao since he was a Southside boy to be exact and I think his Mom is still there. RIP Sion. Aloha,Kokua

Man what a sad year for Kauai. Kokua, I think you meant to write Kalaheo, I lived at Tunnels and Lawai for the last 20+ years. It’s a small community and so much sorrow weighs heavily on Kauai.

Howzit shakabear, Do we know each other since I lived right next to John Sargent for over 10 years and had my last board building company in the back yard and the name was Kokua Fiberglass. I glassed boards for Papa Sau /Mark Sausen, Mark Angell and Ian Vernon and a few others but they were my main guys would brought their shapes to me to shape. Zak Abubo and shelia Kuntz bought the house we lived in but then we had to move out after a year and that was the end of Kokua Fiberglass, By any chance is this Bear Bailey, and if it is I rememeber glassing your first board for you that Papa Sau shaped. I know it has been a bad year for Hanalei as far as surfers dying and I hate the fact it is happening. Thsi will be the first year in over 30 years that I won't be involved with the Pine Trees Longboard Classic which is about to happen or has just happened because Sausen wanted me to come over and judge it this year but I told him it just might not happen and I have some important business to take care off here and can't eave right now or for a few months. Take care and get back to me, especially if we know each other because I love keeping in touch with my Kauai friends. Aloha,Kokua

Kokua,

I sure we may have met at one time or another on Kauai. After moving there from Oahu in 89 I lived at Connie Irons house at Tunnels for many years, I worked for Catamaran Kahanu (later for Holoholo from Port Allen), my wife used to work at Chucks for many years (she still wears her Papa Sau t-shirt), later at Cafe Hanalei at the hotel. So many days it was just Mac, Joey, Jamil “the kids” and myself out at Tunnels. McDuff motoring his boat out the river yelling…always yelling, LOL, but what a great guy, I heard he moved to Canada too (not sure where, probably some cabin in the woods shooting elk). It sure has changed in the last 20 years, but the comunity is still pretty small.

Aloha ahinalu, Yes I bet we met since I have been friends with Connie since she was married to Bill Irons and she actually asked me if I would be interested in renting her house while she goes to the East coast this summer. I was the chef at Chuck's after Iniki and Mcduff woud work 3 nights and I worked the other 4 but I quit in may of 94 and took a 4 month trip to Baja and spent 2 1/2 months at Scorpion Bay and nobody was there that year which means I got so much uncrowded surf it was great. I was Papa's glasser for years til he went psyco one day and I told him that if we were to stay friends then we had to stop doing business together. I have known him since 73 and taught him a lot about working with resin and doing repair work and even built his shaping room and set it up for him since he has no building skills andmy first job o Kauai was building the 3 story redwood house on the beach at Waikoko's and about 6 other houses before getting back into the restaurant business working for the Dolphin in the early 70's and then was partners with Roger in Tropical Taco,then opened the one in Kapaa. I had heard that McDuff moved to Canada but then moved to Colorado but I also heard he came back to Kauai or wanted to but Chuck's didn't have a job or him and of course he had lost his house on the river by then. Yes Hanalei has changed a lot and I hear that some of the old timers are moving to the big Isle or back to the mainland because they are getting sick and tired of the newbies attitudes and some people think that when they bought a house or land on the North Shore that a spot in the line up at Hanalei came with it. Since I had cancer in 09 I can't bend my head back enough so I can't seein front of me when Paddleing so I amgoing to try the SUP thing here on the Lake, I moved from Kauai to a ouse I own with my brother in LakeHavasu City and since it is a small community it is friendly and not like the big city and has about the same population as Kauai or a little less. I do wish I had been ther for Andy's paddle out and I am sure they will or already have had one for Sion,RIP his soul. I miss the Island lie and surfing for sure and hope to movebackone day in the not to far future but I will just have to see how things work out since not paying rent is really nice and the cost of living is really cheap and I already am back to work doing remodeling of homes and condos. Take care and feelfree to email me anytime at     mwildog@yahoo.com   . Aloha,Wildog

amazing guy. saddest loss for me in a long time.

donate to the sion milosky fund by clicking the link

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=D_yDkuP3-YaE7NLGRXtnsWC2F_tLPDS3MJIV9-laJjrO5RMfjPn9fQDi1H0&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d5863a909c4bb5aeebb52c6e1151bdaa9

or just mail a check to

Sion Milosky Memorial Fund

1740 Monrovia Ave

Costa Mesa, CA 92627

doesn’t need to be big… ANYTHING helps!

http://www.raynorsurf.com/