S-PLUG install?

Hi, anyone done these, if so whats the best size holesaw to use if your going to do it that way, hope to save myself some trial and error, if anyone has tried them already?. Ive always done my fcs with a holesaw , I know they can be done with a router etc but like to keep it low tech and drill them after the hotcoat. They look larger in diameter than standard FCS.

double post

Most of your questions are answered in this thread.

The depth is easy measure the plug same for the hole saw size.

The little tabs sit on top of the glass (plugs are installed after hotcoat like fcs) They keep the hight even and give a point to pivot while setting cant.

You don’t need to tie them to the deck.

Heres what they look like:

Hey Nocean, have used these plugs a few times now and can honestly say they are the best. Wil be using them from now on. I have just used my hole saw set to fit the plugs. Firstly i use the holesaw that fits the smallest diameter (bottom) of the plug and drill the full depth. Then using the same dril hole (of course), I use the holesaw that fits the largest daimeter and dril to the depth of the laregest diameter. What I have found is that when you drill the larger diameter, the foam shears off producing a nice step that fit the plug perfectly. They are much larger than FCS BTW.

Hey cheers for that, yep they seem quite a good system, like the fact you dont have to anchor them to the deck too, doing it the way you described makes sense rather than drilling one big hole which would of added unnecessary weight etc.

Nocean, they look great as an alt to FCS.

I have often wondered, with all the 'anchor to the deck' issues, why they didnt just come out with a plug 'stick' that was designed to go straight thru to the deck like a dowel.

[IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/SURFFOILS/SURFFOILS%202011/fcsALT.jpg[/IMG] 

Drill straight thru, resin in place like glueing a piece of dowel, and then cut off the excess at the deck.

They might have been able to change the overall shape from round to elliptical, figuring that most of the forces would be from the side.

[IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/SURFFOILS/SURFFOILS%202011/fcsALT2.jpg[/IMG]

Theres probably 1/2 a dozen different ways to do it better.

hey bro Ray finlay over here at Raglan has a jig for drilling them out,give him a call at his shop he a good guy to talk to

Also the guys at the fiberglass shop in hamilton sell them. Terry is the guy to talk to I get better rates buying blanks and resin from them than what brian could do at Hardcore. they also sell a wide range of surf board blanks, cloth ,plugs, fins etc

his email is   fibreglassshop@wave.co.nz would be worth getting him to email you the shapers price list or I could email you there the lastest one

cheers antony

Hi, cheers for that Antony, think ill make a jig up and buy a couple of forcener bits to do them with…

Hey surffoils, not a bad idea but one of the things I think make Fcs  a weaker option compared with glass over boxes is the join between the deck and the filled resin, there is always room for that to shrink and crack, letting water in around the plug and weakening the overall structure, from your diagram I would gather there would be twice the amount of joins of this kind both on the deck and the bottom, just a thought anyway…

Hey nocean i have the same thoughts about fcs plugs, there is a chance of shrinking resin and water ingress. Although capping would solve that problem with any fin system i guess. Just a pain haha

A neighbour has a sign in his driveway saying   "Please leave room for ingress and egress."

My first wife said   "I think the guy next door keeps birds" ?!

Fuck she was dumb.

Ha ha , good one!

Hi Nocean,

I have used them once and I am not a fan. But if you install as gill mentions you will be fine, they are bigger but still light and look the good on the board . ProBox are being distibuted Down Under now and I prefer the installing them.

Kurt…

hey bro how did you get on with the install?

I just brought a set to try out any tips

cheers antony

Hi, nope I havnt had a chance yet but from what ive read and assumed I reckon two forcener bits would do the trick , then you dont have to centralise the drill bit which can be a pain with a holesaw etc. One forcener to do big hole with a ply jig and then one smaller for lower step …

Will post If i get round to it… 

Hey Gill, sorry to stalk you across threads, but I’m still not entirely clear on your process (given my lack of experience with tools and that).

When you say hole saws, do you mean this kind?                                                             

[img_assist|nid=1062812|title=Hole Saw 1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=360|height=360]

or this kind:

[img_assist|nid=1062813|title=Hole Saw 2|desc=|link=none|align=right|width=640|height=351]

I have both in my tool box (for installing deadlocks and cupboard hinges respectively), but not sure which you mean.

p.s. Is it a pre, or post-glassing exercise?

Hey cass, i have been using the hole-saw in the first image. It wont cut a full circle just the outside and the drill hole in the middle. After this though it gives you a template with which you can use a router to route out the foam. Making sure you dont hit the edges of the drilled circle. I dont think this is the best way but it was the cheapest drill bit the hardware store had. It still looked quite nice though I have to say

I have been installing the plugs after the hot coat, would be interested to know how others do it. 

hey guys I just bought a custom maade drill bit for putting these plugs in here in NZ, it works primo. cost me $40 and it cuts both holes outer and inner at the same time and also has a build in depth stopper on it. I will post a photo when i can find my camera

cheers antony