polishing paste problems

hi all :slight_smile:

i have been polishing for the last two years, but lately have been having some problems getting hold of the polishing paste i normally use (3m perfect-it fast cut (green top)) and so have been using another one, i forget what it is called. But have been experiencing problems with it, it seems to only get scratches out when it is getting too dry and therefor hot which in turn is ‘burning’ the boards (which i obviously dont want!!)

Also the buffing heads I use seem to get worn down after doing about a weeks worth of polishing (10 boards varying from 5’8 to 10’) so any ideas would be great thanks.

If anyone has any ideas of other pastes or heads to use i would be greatful

:slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Howzit willoughby, There is a rubbing compound that the factories use and I used it for years and years but I am having a brain freeze and cant remember the name right now but it work great and no heating up. I used to keep a wet towel on the end of the board and would wet the board as I was polishing and that also kept the board from heating up since those pesky little burn spots are a nightmare. I bet if you post a question about rubbing compouns in the general disciussion that somebody with a better memory than mine will have the answer about the name and I know that Fiberglass Hawaii sells it and I think most all the factories use it and it comes by the gallon. After I post this I am going to see if I can find it and will post the name for you. Aloha,Kokua

If you are talking about polish; you are probably talking about #2 Surfboard Polish sold at Fiberglass Hawaii etc.  Ir you are talking rubbing compound I would assume you may be talking about 3M .  When I first started polishing my own boards I used rubbing compound and then polish,  I soon found out that if I perfected my skills at sanding the hot coat and my wet and dry that I could go straight to #2 and get a nice polish.  Perfect-it is good stuff.  No doubt.  Just pricey.  Don't use the red 3M compound.  It will show in pinholes.

thanks for the help guys, had a look at #2 surfboard polish, seems like a good one, but might not be as good as 3m? dont have any problems with it at all just cant get hold of it at the moment!Nighmare!!

Nothing is as good as 3M Perfet-it(not even Macquires), but at $45.00 a quart and a little time getting used to using it #2 will do the job.

Reichold? I know it is resin, but didn't they make a compound also?

Here’s the stuff I’ve been using. The TR311 is from Fiberglass Hawaii. I use buffing pads with it and wool polishing pad with the McGuiers. I machine wash my buffing pads for longer use. The boards I did last week turned out like good quality mirror w/o scratches and that was while using Silmar 249A lam resin with surfacinig agent in it. 

Depending on the gloss I can go 320 or 400 then 500 and compounds or sometimes 400 to 500 and even 600 if they are dark colors (red, navy, black, purple). 

Here’s the stuff I’ve been using. The TR311 is from Fiberglass Hawaii. I use buffing pads with it and wool polishing pad with the McGuiers. I clear the build up on the buffing pad when it gets caked and machine wash my buffing pads for longer use. The boards I did last week turned out like good quality mirror w/o scratches and that was while using Silmar 249A lam resin with surfacinig agent in it. 

Depending on the gloss I can go 320 or 400 then 500 and compounds or sometimes 400 to 500 and even 600 if they are dark colors (red, navy, black, purple). 

I got the Marine 45 stuff at my local Ace store and it works good for real high shine on fiberglass.

Howzit willoughby, The name of the rubbing compound came to me today out of the blue and it is called Shurlustre and sold by Fiberglass Hawaii. As for polish The McGuires is good and has been used for years but it's one of those things that is up to the polisher and what he wants to use. All the different brands that have been mentioned work great and you will just have to play with them and make your decision on what you like.Aloha,Kokua

Right  on Kokua… I didn’t show Shur Luster in my group but have used it as well… works great. I think the main tip with using any choice of the finer polishes (after the heavier cutting rubbing compounds) is changing from a buffing pad to the WOOL polishing pad, making sure it is in good condition.   I used to use a BLACK liquid some years ago I think it was called “Liquid Ebony”… the stuff worked really well for removing wheel marks/swirls.

Bottom line is that any knowledgeable car guy/ body + paint shop can give you advice on ‘da kine’ stuff too.