dust extraction for planers/ sanders, any one want to give advice?

hi im looking in to fitting automatic extraction in my bay that i can plug my planer and sander in to it will suspend above the rack’s

can anyone help me with where to start?

start with a decent sized shop vac, use the hose that comes with it, connect that to a blue slinky hose (Clark foam type) I think Foam EZ still sells them (about 25 or 30 bucks last I looked).  MIght need size adapters between hoses, and at the end depending on your planer/sander, but its not rocket science to hook up a hose… most of them are just friction fit.

You can get fancy later with automatic on/off, cyclone separators, etc but the basic setup works good.

Well worth it in my opinion.

The box that delays the vac turning off that you plug your planer into makes sense havng as well so your hose can clear when you trigger off. There are generic ones around for reasoable prices.

thanks for the replys

i want to hook up the hose and power line with an over head pulley system with a counter weight that keep’s everything up out of the way!

any pic’s or sketch’s to help me out?

Take a look at the General Discussion Chapter. A pvc ridgid swing arm systen was just displayed that to me, is better than pulleys. There are photos nice simple system.

I built one last month, swing arm shop vac system. i was able to buy a clark foam system used. came with most everything. But the delay power box can be bought at woodcraft. just plugs into wall and plug planer and shopvac into it(not to expencesive worth it). I also put the shop vac out side my room(less noise). The swing arm is nice cause it follows me around the board. just some big hinges and plywood no glue on the joints of pvc. I sanded the joint that turns so it was smooth. The more i use it the better it gets. Pics are in general discussion… good luck

Right on Dutch, This system is by far the best I've seen. Less crap in the mix. Don't know if you read it but, I think if you drill and tap the 90 elbow and thread in a zert/zerk fitting for greased joints this will really free it up to swing. All you have to do is make sure the fitting is supported so it won't pull loose. Happy Planing!

eh right on will look into it when i get back home.

thanks for the complement but not my idea got it from another guy on here(sorry can’t remeber who), He get all the credit!

Howzit Dutch, I think it was posted by JC Youngquist and he said it was his Dad's design, if I remember right. So, a Right On to good ol' Pops for that one.