Show us your home-made fins ....

please , can you post photos here of fins you have made ?   ( I LOVE seeing other people’s fin work !)     cheers !     ben

Some awsome work in this thread.
Been running this set in the fish. Fast and turns on a whim.

Although you have seen these I will post it up for everyone. I am working on fiberglass gins now maybe with some Kevlar in them we shall see Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos both bamboo fins the half moons are tinted red

Copies of the John Belik Hi-Aspect ratio quads that I love. Hand foiled from bamboo and glassed on to my 6' vanishing stringer diamond tail juvenile garibaldi quad.

Glued up and foiled from exotic hardwoods with one plywood fin.

Making fins are a hell of alot of fun and completes the surfboard construction circle..

To those above, that’s some nice looking work! Here’s a couple: Laminated thin ply into a curve with a G-10 base.

One of my son’s broken skatedeck turned into inside curve fins with G-10 bases:

G10 with 6 degrees cant built into tab for 4wfs. 10mm thick  front and 6mm rear.

How do u get fins multiple colored like that muddy ? I’m just starting an it’s so much stoke

How do u get fins multiple colored like that muddy ? I’m just starting an it’s so much stoke

Those inside curve fins look great, can you elaborate on how to make them please.

Chip- Thanks for starting this thread and keeping the stoke here on Sways and on FB!

I love all these fins! Thanks for sharing everyone. Fins play such a huge role in the way a board performs. I look forward to seeing how this thread evolves. Its cool to surf homemade fins!! Keep them coming…

A2tall. I just glued up different wood varieties, outlined, foiled, and glassed.

???

Here’s a few.

Here are Scroll cut out and resin filled fins. Took a little time 

Yep, on the ones with the CF inside, I got some 3-ply baltic birch that was something like 3/32" thick and cut it into squares big enough to make two opposing fins, then laminated about 5 layers together pressed into a mold I made to give them a curve. I wish I’d taken a picture of the process as it would be easier to explain. I think you could do the same thing using a piece of 10" pipe.

I cut the base out of G-10, scabbed on a scrap piece of G-10 above the fin tabs and then glued the birch to the base (kind of a trick setting the angle the way I wanted them), then foiled the whole mess. As for the “skate fins,” it was easier as the curve was already built in, just had to build up the G-10 base to accomodate the curve, foil, and glass over and sand smooth. Piece of cake! (yeah right)

I’m amazed at how strong they are, I was foiling the wood (I’ve also done some standard fins using bamboo) with only the epoxy holding the wood to the base and it held really well. I was worried that the wood was going to rip off the base, but so far, it hasn’t happened, even on  a pretty big keel fin.

This one shows the base a bit better, keel fin with some fins inspired by our sway’s own “Handshaper.”

Fins-Skegs !!

walnut, basswood, and mahogany

basswood, mahogany, walnut

basswood and mahogany

basswood and mahogany

not as good as others on this thread but heres mine that I will glass on a fish I am making.

[img_assist|nid=1059554|title=Fins|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=480]_

[img_assist|nid=1059554|title=Fins|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=75]