Dave "Davo" Dedrick RIP

42 posts |
Last post
gregloehr's picture

Lost his battle at 2:30 AM last night.  Great guy who I had the good fortune to surf and work with for much of the last 40 years .... RIP Davo

cleanlines's picture

Another Icon in the business leaves us way to early. RIP Davo.

MikeDaniel's picture

I'm at a loss for words... I spent the last hour trying to think of something to say here.

I will miss Davo a lot. He was a one-of-a kind guy. An incredible craftsman and just plain hilarious to be around. I think he'd want us to laugh as we remembered him, but I'm having a hard time doing that right now.

rooster's picture

Gentlemen,

I'm sincerely sorry for the loss of your friend.    Mike

ozzy's picture

rooster wrote:
Gentlemen,

I'm sincerely sorry for the loss of your friend.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't know him, but it is always tragic to lose one of our own. Especially one that was such an influence and so well loved.

GregTate's picture

Very sad.  He was such a good and generous guy.  He let me do my first resin swirl in his shop on a 11-6 combo paddle/surf board that he shaped for me.  I won my division and a couple above me on it for the Watermans Challenge short distance paddle event.  A great board.  He was really pleased when I told him. 

I will find some pictures tonight of him and me during the glassing and post.  I showed up in flip flops to glass and he was graciously hovered over me to ensure I didn't screw it up.

GL, could you comment on some of the giant boards he built for display in the Cocoa area? 

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. - Winston Churchill

jimthegenius's picture

One of my last things on my bucket list before leaving Fla. was to take all my chemicals and cloth to Davo, along with the last shaped blanks which he glassed and then delivered on one of his trips up the coast.

Never saw him as a drinker, such a good guy, see you in the next life, man what a factory that must be in heaven, bunch of amazing craftspersons there

solosurfer's picture

Davo will be missed.  RIP

The killers in high places say their prayers out loud

GregTate's picture

Here are a few pictures of Dave in his factory.  The board is 11-6.  Stringerless.   He sort of specialized in really big boards.  Notice the little fish in the corner.  He built a million of those and sent them all over the east coast.  It was sort of his signature board.  His glassing shop was tops.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. - Winston Churchill

pambuena's picture

Dude, can we use one of these pics of Davo for our poster for the 2013 Florida Shape Off at the Expo? The contest for this coming year will be a tribute to Davo who was one of the participants of the 1stFlorida Shape Off we held (back in 2008). For into on the contest go to http://floridashapeoff.com  We will be using one of this boards as the one the shapers have to replicate. Please let me know asap as I have to send the artwork for the poster in.

Thanks.

email me with an ok at [email protected] - it's the email I check most often.

gregloehr's picture

Yeah Greg, Dave made a few of those giants ... like building a boat those.  I think he did those at the Pineda factory. Used to go have lunch with he and Binky at the Pineda Inn right there on the river.  Dave was one of a handful of guys I've worked with for over 40 years.  Surfed on the Hobie team with him in the early 70's ... toured the coast with GP.  Went to Hatteras for the championships in 71 with Dave, GP, Mark Crowl and LP.  Always that great sense of humor .... real craftsman ... one of the very best.

BalsaBill's picture

Davo once had a factory in the next building over from our t-shirt factory. He had an old Chevy truck, '49-'52. He come to me one day and said, "The landlord says I gotta get rid of the truck or he's gonna tow it. It doesn't run. The motor's froze up. Needs brakes, You wanna buy it?".

I really didn't need to buy anything much less an old truck but I went out to look at it. "What do you want for it?"

"A hundred bucks".

I was walking around the truck and had my secret hundred out of my wallet before I got to the tailgate and before he changed his mind.

"Oh, and I don't have the title", he said.

Being an old hot rodder I said, "No problem. I'll just get an 'Alabama' title".

We put a '79 Camaro subframe with a 350 small block and the Camaro rear. Titled it as a '79 Chevrolet 2 door and drove that thing 'til it rusted away. A cop in one little beach town that will remain nameless didn't like the way I had it titled and was always threatening to confiscate it. "Go ahead", I'd say but they always let me off with a warning.

Gonna miss Davo.

gregloehr's picture

I'm looking at that shaping room.  That's the one he built after he moved from the one in Indian Harbour at the mini storage.  He came by one day and said, "Hey. I'm moving over to Melbourne .. do you want my shaping room?"  It was super nice and I said without hesitation, "Yea."  So a couple years later I was moving to AZ and I went over to Mike Daniels and said, "You want my shaping room."  Without hesitation he said, "Yea."  MD is still in that room 7-8 years later.  

MikeDaniel's picture

I was in that room last night as you were writing. I was looking at the tropical flower pattern carpet that Davo (as the story goes) pulled out of some hotel. The template rack that he made that's still on the wall. I'm hoping his spirit will come and visit soon. Knowing Davo, it'll probably come in the form of a practical joke. He'll reverse the polarity on my vac system or something like that.....

artz's picture

From what has been written here I have gotten some idea of who Dave was. The show  that he is missed and that speaks a lot for the man.  my condolences to those the loved him. Aloha

According to Mikki Dora Malibu went to the Dogs in 1964. The Chumash Indians will tell you it was 1664.

gregloehr's picture

Always thought the carpet was the coolest thing.  You remember the step van that he Hawaiinized?  He used to take Rose to school in it and she'd make him drop her off a couple blocks away ... too embarrassed to be seen in such a vehicle.

gregloehr's picture

An email from Mike "Nemo" Nemnich ... Our resident artist at Fox, Natural Art, Ocean Ave, MTB, etc.

Mr. Happy Feet has moved on, David “Davo” Dedrick. Anyone that had the pleasure to work with or be around this wonderful person was lucky indeed. He would always make you smile with his humor and practical jokes. You never knew what to expect when you came into the surfboard factory.  It could be a board you were working on transformed into a whimsical statue of tape and assorted items from your work area, or could be Davo would roll a paint roller without the roller down the other side of the door while you were in there and whatever you do check your rear of your car for centerfolds or funny messages on tape before you leave to go home.

Davo loved to dance, but most all Davo was a good father and loved his children very much

I will miss you Davo………….

MikeDaniel's picture

He tagged the rear of my truck more times than I could count. After the first few, you learned to check. But then he'd leave you alone for a while. He always timed it out about right, so that when you got tired of checking he'd get you.

foamball's picture

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend guys. I didn't know him, but he sounded like a great guy.

I thought that shaping bay looked familiar.

MikeDaniel's picture

To rooster, ozzy, artz, and foamball: Thanks for understanding.

Davo was the kind of guy any swaylocker would love. He was an early adapter of RR epoxy, had thousands of sides under his belt before 1990. He built everything from carbon fiber/d-cell fins (in the 80s, no less) to beautiful sailboats to race powercats, and of course had a hand in many, many thousands of surfboards. If you had a Rainbow back in the day, Davo glassed it.

gregloehr's picture

Or Natural Art before that.

MikeDaniel's picture

What was the time frame re Davo's NA work?

gregloehr's picture

I first worked there in 74 then Davo came in around 76.  He stayed for a good number of years then moved on the Rainbow.  

MikeDaniel's picture

Classic LP shot of Davo.

artz's picture

great photo. it is hard to say for sure but it looks like he is on a fish or maybe a twin? 

Mike is there a paddle out planned for Davo?

According to Mikki Dora Malibu went to the Dogs in 1964. The Chumash Indians will tell you it was 1664.

MikeDaniel's picture

July 16th has been set as date for paddle-out/memorial, no other particulars yet... I'll update as soon as more info is available.

That photo is probably a single fin, but of course I could be wrong. GL might know, he may well have shaped the board.

gregloehr's picture

The board was a Natural Art single ... I probably did shape that ... he glassed all mine.

soulmanet's picture

Dave "DAVO" Dedrick  passed away June 11, 2011. He will be miss by all . DAVO glassed for Natural Art surfboards ,Mike Tabeling surfboards in the 70's then for Rainbow Surfboards until he started his own company known as DAVO SURF DESIGNS one of the first full epoxy factories in the world. He was a Friend and a Mentor.....Rest In Peace my Friend,   Ed Townes

GregTate's picture

It was great wave well ridden.  Wish I had known him back in the day.

Boys, I'll just close with this:  "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

janklow's picture

Hey guys - I just ran across this -- MD mentioned losing a friend around Le Mans time -- I'm sorry for you guys -- Davo sounds like he was an awesome piece of work.  Hope you guys bounce into him somewhere out in the universe someday and have some more laughs and story.

(GT, I'm thinking about putting a box in the nose of that board! I think it'll be fun!)

Greg 

MikeDaniel's picture

Paddle-out 8:00 am July 16, at 15th Street South in Cocoa Beach.

Celebration of Life 2:00 pm July 16, at Indian Harbour Beach Community Center.

I'll be paddling out on one of the carbon fiber/1lb eps boards Davo glassed for me back in the 80s.

keithmelville's picture

Bump up as paddle out date approaches...

MikeDaniel's picture

Thanks, Keith.

keithmelville's picture

this thread is worthy of being on top today...I'm sure there will be a good turnout for the paddle-out.

MikeDaniel wrote:

Paddle-out 8:00 am July 16, at 15th Street South in Cocoa Beach.

Celebration of Life 2:00 pm July 16, at Indian Harbour Beach Community Center.

I'll be paddling out on one of the carbon fiber/1lb eps boards Davo glassed for me back in the 80s.

MikeDaniel's picture

Thanks for putting Davo at the top!

The paddleout this morning was a beautiful thing; about 300 people and at least 150 of them in the water. A lot of them on various and sundry Davo shapes and/or glass jobs. His children placed his ashes in the center of the circle while a nice little set rolled through. I cried.

The ocean surprised us with a fresh couple of feet of north swell, Davo probably sent that for us.... I warned lots of folks to check their cars for improvised bumper stickers advertising unusual sexual preferences (one of Davo's favorite tricks with a piece of 2'' tape).

I went to work for a few hours, shaped a couple while thinking of Dave.

Then it was time for the celebration at the community center. There was great slide show of Davo pics, the boy was not shy around a camera. Larry Pope and I entertained a group with stories about great practical jokes and other antics. Stu Sharpe reminded me of the custom noisemakers Davo would fabricate to scare the bejeezus out of you when you were ''concentrating'' on some important work (or going to the bathroom).

I left a little early to go surfing with my son. I don't think Davo would mind. Perfect glassy peelers greeted me when I got to my beach. We usually have a stiff seabreeze on summer afternoons, but not today. Just lucky? I'm callin' gift from heaven.

I didn't take any pictures this morning, but I'm sure I'll be able to crib some from somewhere on the web soon, and I'll add them here later.

MikeDaniel's picture

I'm surprised no pics of the paddleout have popped up. I guess I should have taken a camera...

ocsurfer32's picture

Some on Facebook

MikeDaniel's picture
seaslug's picture

It is very moving to see so many people turned for DAVO. I bet he must have been looking and smiling wherever he is.

He sounds a GREAT and COOL guy

seaslug's picture

Mike D

As I read the ATTRIBUTES for DAVO, surely he must have been a FANTASTIC, DOWN TO EARTH, HUMOROUS GUY to ALL who knew him. A loving DEVOTED FAMILY MAN AND FATHER.

YOU GUYS MUST ALSO BE HONORED TO HAVE KNOWN THIS FABALOUS PERSON.

I also read about the thread when he DROPPED OFF his daughter quite a distance away from school, so the kids would not tease her about the van.

Yes, my sister's daughter when at 13, would not allow her mother to kiss her when she was also dropped off at school. I gather its showing your peers as part of independence, growing up AND [YOU ARE NOT MUM'S BABY ANYLONGER] BUT, what would we do without our familes!!!

Ric

steveholloway's picture

1 year later, Davo is missed everyday. Rest In Peace Davo 6/22/1954 - 6/11/2011

MikeDaniel's picture

Hey Steve, good bump. In a funny coincidence, I ran into Stu Sharpe today and we spent 20 minutes trading Davo stories and laughing our butts off. Every story would trigger a memory of another one....