Help Please

My name is casey and I am 23. I have been surfing for a while since I was a little grom. I am currently living here in Colorado. I grew up on Kaua'i and in Hermosa. I love making turns on a snowboard but its nothing like a big bottom turn on a sick right. I recently decided to devote my life to surfing and shaping. Is there anyone looking for an apprentice shaper. I would even clean the floors of shops just to get my foot in the door. Everyone has to start somewhere. I can not stand not living close to the water. Someone please help me and point me in the right direction. Shaping is not necessarily a dying art form but not a lot of people know how to do it which is a cool thing. But I want to learn and I am a hard worker. Somebody please help

Howzit Casey, I would like to be the first to welcome you to Swaylocks and we will be able to help you learn how to make surfboards if you can't find work in a factory. With the economy still in the pits I don't know who's is hiring these days. I lived on Kauai for over 40 years and just moved back to the mainland last July to help family and some other reasons. If you are in Hermosa these dyas it is going to be easier to find board work then if you are in Colorado. I don't know what yers you were on Kauai but from 95 to 2007 I had my factory in Haena under the name Kokua Surfboards. Where on Kauai did you live and if you live there now where are you living. I have to tell that you have decided to learn an art that takes soul, devotion and craftsmanship but not a  lot of money if any, The upside is you can get good enough to really have some fun and looks from kids that will melt your heart from the kids and especially if it is their first new board. Take some time and go through the archuives for a few days and what you still have questions feel free to start a thread and we will do our best answer it for you with a simple answer. Aloha,Kokua

Shotz Kokua. I am in Colorado right now but I would like to have something lined up before i just move back to the coast. I lived in Kalaheo and Hanapepe. It would be cool to check out someones shop and just sit in on them shaping. How often do you get to surf living in Arizona Kokua? I have tried to email a couple of people in California but they havent go in touch with me. At this point I would just like to dive in but its hard. I dont want to order some blanks because I dont know what I am doing. I just need some help and its hard to get it in Colorado. Keep in touch Kokua.

[quote="$1"]

... At this point I would just like to dive in but its hard. I dont want to order some blanks because I dont know what I am doing.

I think thats the best way to get what you want Casey, Im at the point, because of my lack of surfing ability and not knowing what I want; to just start shaping. One because I will enjoy creating something that has to do with my love, and two because it will give me a chance to surf many boards that I made with my hands. If you start shaping yourself, and get good at it, you may be able to showcase your work at a local shop and even have their team ride your board. Good luck my friend.

Watching how to videos on surfboard shaping. Even if i could just come check someones shop out for a week in Cali that would be sick. I guess I just got to keep at it. Seems like no one wants to give a young guy a shot or help them out. Everyone has to start somewhere

Howzit climb, Try starting a thread in the general discussion area since most members use that section of sways and you might get mosr replies there. Aloha,Kokua

[quote="$1"]

... Seems like no one wants to give a young guy a shot or help them out. Everyone has to start somewhere

[/quote]

I agree with Kokua. Even though I may not know what Im talking about when it comes to surfing or shaping. Its not wise to throw a pitty party. If your serious about what you want, get out there and do it yourself. However, you may just find what your looking for someone may reach out to you and help you out. Good luck in your endevors

"Even though I may not know what Im talking about" Yea you don't know what your talking about its not a pitty party lets get one thing striaght brah you don't know what your talking about. Pitty I am not trying to get any pitty from anyone. Its a known fact shapers are trying to keep it in the family or someone very close to them. its like a secret language or something coming from a guy who claims to know nothing about surfing i think you should let sleeping dogs lie, unless you have some useful  input which you obviously don't.  Thanks for wishing me well but obviously cant tell the difference between facts and pitty.

Climb,

I am not going to go much farther than this. You must have failed to look at my quote; "I’m the guy that knows more about surfing than you do..." Do you know how the first surfboard was shaped? The Hawaiians and Polynesians did not ask for help or for a place to watch and be an apprentice, they took it upon themselves to carve out their canoes and boards from the Koa wood. So I will go back to my original post and say... Get the supplies for yourself and teach yourself how to shape a board. Good luck.

Dude I am hawaiian enough said surfing is in my blood. I get it that you have to go out and get it yourself I get it. It would just be nice if someone who can give me a few pointers. All the information is on the internet I get that much. But as far as shaping with someone first hand who has been doing it for 20 years probably knows a little more than any video or knows more than you can tell me. I have been surfing since I was a grom brah. I know all the history about surfing considering the fact that they teach us the history of surfing growing up in hawaii. My ancestors made the first I get it. But shaping back then and shaping now has come a long way considering the first surf boards were bigger than doors Thanks. As you can see we have progressed since then. I guess I just have to do it myself. I wasn't asking for a hand out or pitty just someone to show me the ropes appearantly thats to much to ask lol instead i've got some guy who cares more about proving his pointless point on some forum. About how much he knows but doesnt surf well and who is shaping and blah blah blah you let me know how your first board comes out. Over it brah.....

And kokua thanks for all your positive vibes and feed back much appreciated brah.

Mahalo Nui Loa

You Win!  I will let you know how my first board turns out. I see your point now that you made it more clearly. Apologies. Its not about proving a point its about a debate; some people just read too much into words on a screen. Oh well, Climb 1, Kook 0.

It's not about winning man its about passion and thats what i have for surfing. kook 0 climb 0 I am not gaining anything by going back and fourth. As if a fish needs ; i am someone who needs the water and surfing....I wish you well on your ventures

Howzit climb, Nice to know we have another Hawaiian member since I lived over 2/3 s of my life in Hawaii on Kauai and was taught my Hawaiiana by the Ham Young Family and in most of the time I lived on Kauai I had a Hawaiian as one of my room mates and I love the whole culture and can't wait to get back after I finish with my familys situation. I think we have at least 2 other members in Colorado these days but right off hand I can only say that Dr. Strange has just moved to a small town there and can't remember who the other guy is.I am pretty sure one of them shapes but not sure which one it is. If you want it hard enough then it will come to you one way or another.  I just wish I could hook you up with somebody who would teach you the fine art of shaping,but there there have been people who have learned the whole process from this very website and by asking some questions in the general discussion area. Good luck my friend and I hope your shaping dram comes true. Aloha,Kokua

wildy is somewhere in colorado from what i remember.

very knowledgeable and experienced board maker did work for firewire pre firewire

and climbtreehigh

you can’t beat skiing the backcountry in your area or Utah

compared to fighting with the crowds on the left and far left coasts.

just look at nawilwili harbpr  these days on any swell

been there done that living and skiing in seattle/british columbia 1974-1990

nothing like home though

nothing like home

so glad i eventually was able to come home and make a decent livin

so many displaced natives hoping for the same in some far off land

but the local economy doesn’t support such dreams yah?

Aloha Bernie, Glad you remembered who one of the other Sway guys who shapes and lives in Colorado. Dr.Strange just moved there but I don't really know how much shaping he has done but Wildy has done enough to help climb learn if they can get together. How are you doing my good friend, hope great since if anyone deserves it you do and when I cometo Hawaii I am going to spend some time on Oahu and want to get together with you and your brother. Aloha,Kokua