the oddest place to find calipers

I’m so happy I finally got calipers. I went to home depot, lowe’s and OSH and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. So until early this morning, I was going to build my own. I bought the 5/8 thick board to cut out the shape and then the screw and wingnut.

I kept digging though, and found this site -Clay Planet (http://shop.clay-planet.com/search.aspx?find=calipers) which is closest to home. Once I get there, there was a much better one laying right next to the generic ones and for only 25 bux. so stoked now. 

calipers

is it deep enough to reach the middle of an average board at widest point?

$25 bucks is kind of pricey. That would have bought the wood, wingnut and probably a new jig saw at Harbor Freight  to cut it out with.

This is the one I made after several drawings, scissoring out of paper and usability considerations.

Notice how a big thick rail can be accomodated at the scissoring end. Where as yours can only be used at 4-6" from the wingnut end depending upon the rail.

While mine are not quite perfect , they are adequate…could have used a bit more length for wider boards and a bit more openeness at the wingnut end for even thicker rails.

I say get your money back and put your mind to making your own!

I’m gonna give it a shot tonight. I measured the inside of the caliper and it can reach up to 11" wide and maybe 3" to 4" thick of rail. I still have a few drawings that I have on my kitchen table and will probably cut something up this weekend. You have a good one there though Otis.

copy this design and then you can just write the numbers on.

:frowning: it didn’t fit. back to the drawing board. I’ll try doing both design.

Thanks fellas.

This design might attain some more accuracy?  If not, what about you buy a good pair and get it delivered to your front door in the mail? You will have them forever. $80 isn’t much in terms of a lifetime of shaping.

true true. but Marsh, yer design is a bit…eh…unorthodox. is that how ya spell it? no offense brah.

but I like yer comment, " You will have them forever. $80 isn’t much in terms of a lifetime of shaping."

I recognise those…I built 'em…

They are 100% accurate with no mini-conversion scale…

Unconventional…Yeah, thanks for the compliment…

double post

My full appologies Paul, I ripped that picture off your site.  Nice callipers by the way!!

Homemade:

Ah, hi gang…

jusst gonnna tryy sommething

Cool, goto my post

calipers outline cutout jpg 12" reach

and download

-J

finally got my caliper and stands done.

You da man!

Good work.