Gopro Camera setups

Other than the standard stick on pad install

can folks show their other jigs

I’m interested in the leash cup and tail installs

although i hear folks are building floating hand held jig as well

I think a video of various board and fin combos in action would be an interesting addition to the design discussion

....hiya Bernie , how have you been , mate ?

My brother Simon , and Sandy Ryan ,  from Island surfboards site [on facebook] use theirs mainly on their bicep , and occassionally also their forearms...[Sandy has done stuff at HUUUUUUGE Shipsterns , paddling in ?! ....NO fear , indeed !]

the results are GREAT !!

see the "fish in a barrel" album of Simon Chipper , on Facebook for these , and also 'pole cam' mounted 'go-pro' results.....

Okay , I hope this helps , mate ?

cheers ,  and keep surfing [please !]

ben

Re: [ChrisP] 'Go Pro ' stuff.... Posted: June 21, 2011 - 8:00am | #153 (permalink) | Back to Top hiya Chris !! ....here are some go pro on pole shots [taken by my brother , Simon ] ... enjoy ! http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.417410516218.190296.736151218 *************************************** http://bchipper.blogspot.com/ "share your stoke ! "

Hey Bernie, good to hear you up and about, sorry we couldn't catch up.

We had a longboard session with this a couple of weeks ago,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GViQz9mpVSc&feature=share

this might give you a few ideas, maybe insert FCS plugs fore and aft on the deck and put a flat piece in it to attach to.

Should be good fun....

G :-))

aloha and mahalo Ben and Grant

yeah i got one for xmas and just started using it

i bought three of those rbber stick on mounts and put them on the nose of an 8’ performance longboard CMP gave me for xmas, a 7’2" Griffin 5 fin mnin-rocket, and haven’t decided on the third maybe the board I got from Noel (revolution) which has four proboxes and a single fin box that I can experiment with different fin options like all the probox design i have from Robin, the wavegrinder and the fins i got from Noel.

At least folks could see the results versus just reading about them.

problem is that rear facing setup with your big ugly map right up front like the silon milosky video is pretty intimidating.

i’ve seen the rear setups on mini posts facing forward as well as the helment and pole mounts but i can’t imagine carry a pole or using a helmet to surf my local breaks.

should an interesting summer if i can video some of the fun here.

if we have any get togethers this summer i’ll bring it so we can show the crew in action.

i have the head and wrist mounts too.

thought the wrist mount might look all fast panning like when shoots video while surfing unless you can hold your arm steady.

still don’t understand the fce plug install. is it a tie down mount?

great thread Oneula! I just got my GoPro a few weeks ago (early father’s day gift from my wonderful wife) and I LOVE it!

check out this handle that Allan Gibbons made: http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1975791&an=&page=0&vc=1

I made something similar to AG’s but simpler (I think) here are some pics:

It’s about 12" of 1 1/2" PVC with an elbow. the elbow is slip joint and threaded and the adapter at the other end is slip joint and threaded so that I could use flat, threaded plugs at each end to close it up. I used PVC cement to seal both slip joints and teflon tape for the threaded part to the elbow. I really torqued the threads at the elbow (permanent) but left the threads finger tight at the other end. so, I can store stuff (extra mount accessories) inside the tube and access them in the water or whenever if necessary. I used one of the flat GoPro mounts and had to sand the plug flat to mount it. the leash from the GoPro is looped through the short loop on the handle. the larger loop is for putting it over my shoulder when paddling. I tied each of the loops to the handle with clove hitches and safety knots. It floats very well. one of my main concerns was making something with enough volume so that it would float… overall, it works but it’s tough to surf with it. I took it out in a small junk day on Sunday and didn’t get anything useable. it would be perfect for swimming and shooting your friends but it’s too cumbersome to try to use it while surfing… hope that all makes sense, I can answer any questions anybody has…

I would like to get something smaller and / or easier to use for shooting while surfing. I would love to get something like those Brian Conley shots =)… I’m thinking either wrist strap or chest mount… I guess a helmet would be OK but I don’t have one…

here’s some pics of the FCS mount: 

There’s also a lot of cool stuff here: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/

Thanks for posting this Chris, been trying to figure this out as well. Do you kind of sling this rig over your shoulder onto your back when paddling, or do you tow it behind you? I'm confused.

I love these cameras, the thing is no one ever wants to put their board on the beach to swim around and film when the surf is good, including myself.

...has anyone noticed from go pro footage [and experience] , how people move their heads around so much when surfing , so go pro helmet footage = not the best . [ Unless you are just pulling into tubes all day and going straight , like brian conley's spectacular puerto escondido['my eyes won't dry'] type footage ...] but unless you are pulling into huuuuuge barrels like he does in those two movies in that series , the wave because of the fisheye can look a LOT smller and fatter than it really IS !

It's the same deal with wrist movement , for wrist-mounted ones ...plus , WHAT do you really see, when it is on your leading wrist ??

if it's on your back arm wrist , it will depend on how you hold your arms [eg: tuberiding] WHERE the camera will be pointing . And , spray hitting the lens too, of course [= water droplets , obviously , which can ruin otherwise good photos / footage [and , don't i KNOW about THAT ?!!]

on your trailing arm bicep , however , the results can be a LOT better !

..... For examples ,  please see Simon's aforementioned shots , especially the one[s] of Sandy Ryan , with the 'go pro' CAMERA mounted on his body ,  getting tubed . There are some  shots  by Simon on the shoulder , with HIS [pole-mounted] 'go pro '....check them out , please ....

okay , I sure hope this is helpful , Bernie and others ?

thanks for this thread mate , it could be a BEAUTY !  [You know how MUCH i like water photos and footage !!]

cheers mate !

ben

" ....I love these cameras, the thing is no one ever wants to put their board on the beach to swim around and film when the surf is good, including myself. "

????!!!!

ummmm... I think it goes without saying , that if you want to take water photos , then ....

DON'T  take your board down to the beach , obviously ?!

.... I will give you one guess what will happen , in terms of the number of photos you will take .....

Instead , take the camera and fins . And swim around taking photos. You will NOT regret it . And your mates will LOVE ya ! 

.....Only thing is, when it comes time for them to reciprocate , DON'T be surprised when you get the "mate , I'd rather be SURFING !!" response  all the time [I'd like a dollar for every time I've heard THAT , over the last forty years !! ]

cheers

ben

...... keep it simple !  Don't over complicate surfing , or your LIFE .....

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.431557121218.227172.736151218

What about the head strap I used to film at Hanalei. Dat’s da bomb bra. Only da bes can handle dat one.

You’re welcome. I put it over my head and put one arm through it to paddle. It didn’t stay on my back very well tho and kept falling to one side and bumping my elbow… by the end of the session, I had it over my head and would bite the strap as close to the handle as I could and had to paddle with my head higher up than normal to keep it up off the board. Like I said, not too good for surfing with it… I’m trying to see Chip’s photo’s but can’t seem to, maybe I need to start a facebook account? The bicep mount that he was talking about sounds interesting. I’m thinking a chest mount that kept it just below the chin would be good. Have it where you could pull it off to use (velcro maybe) then stick it back…

Also, I forgot to mention, I got all the materials for it from OSH. Home Depot didn’t have the flat plugs. Matter of fact, Home Depot didn’t have much of anything that I was looking for.

OK Chris I think I got it, probably not great to paddle with but perfect to swim and to get that extention with the pole. Yeah you need a Facebook account to see the pics, maybe Ben can post them later.

Ben those pics look great, the bicep view is sweet. I love how they synced up the two view points.

yah, perfect for swimming around the lineup with fins… I may even make one with a longer pole for that too… I agree with one of the above poster’s tho and don’t plan on swimming a camera around the lineup when the surf is good. =) …

now, I really need to check out those pics! I guess I’ll be signing up for Facebook again =(

=)

those are great shots Ben!

the one of your brother in the tube is outstanding! I’d really like to get something like that this fall/winter when we get some decent surf… do you think Simon would mind if I posted that pic here on Sways?

Howzit sharkcountry, There is a girl who has been surfing the Hanalei area since 75' and a few years ago she started taking photos with a disposiable waterproof camera. She designed a strap and a holder so she could surf or take pics without having to hassle with the camera. She sent the plans and a prototype to Kodak but they sent it back and said they weren't interested. Lo and behold about 6 months later the same company comes out with their own version which is basically the same one she had sent them, big time rip off and she did nothing to protect her invention. Aloha,Kokua

my brother paddled out to hanalei with that head strap on and everyone was looking at him funny even carlos andrade in his speedos on his red Terry Chung SUP.

Even Laird told him it was a bad idea cause those things don’t float.

I thnk if you could jury rig a locking chin strap to that gopro head strap mount you might have something.  

just don’t hit your head on your board with that thing and put a hole in your skull.

Sharkcountry almost died at Haleiwa one year shooting a women’s contest for channel2 with a windup bell and howell super8 in a waterproof EVA bag. When tthe girl wiped out and shot her board at him and hit the camera it punched a hole in his head  above his eye and he almost bled to death swimming in. He was stupid enough to use a camera that you had to hold up to your eye while shooting. The pros thought he was nuts luckily one of them swam him in. We ended up getting medivac’d to Queens by an army chopper and he almost lost his eye. Not too sharp for a professional news videographer.

But imagine paddling out to Hanalei with the boys with a gopro strapped to your forehead and trying to act cool doing so.

ahhh

brotherly bagging , is there ANYTHING like it ?

maybe simon will get on here and do the same as I don't have a go pro or nads to take the stuff HE does ...

just wish I had thought to photograph the strap setup while he was here two feet away last week , but I HAVE messaged him at facebook , so hopefully he will get onto it ? [having two photogs in the family = not such a bad thing ... Well, three,  actually... if you count simon's son , Eli ! ]

cheers !

ben

simon , view from land ...

simontubed1.jpg

simon , view from bicep...

simontubed2goproangleindorights.jpg

...now maybe people will use the bicep mount ??

Sandy Ryan ...

sandyryan1.jpg

sandyryan.jpg

[ that's Simon  on the shoulder , with the pole cam 'go pro' ...]