Eric "rick" Parker

Rick passed away in his sleep june 26th on the big island, a real good guy and one of the smoothest riders at Ala Moana Bowls in the late 50's and on, as well as the north shores in the early campaigns. Another one passes on.

I surfed with Eric for many years at Alamo and other southshore spots; he was a solid,smooth rider whom usually wore a tee shirt and speedo surf shorts when he paddled out; he was also a talented track and field athlete who ran a mean 180 low hurdles; I moved away from Honolulu in ʻ68 and lost track of most of the old  Alamo crew but heard he still surfed Alamo through the years til moving to the Big Island; RIP bro; we all have good memories of you!!!

Aloha Sonny,

Yes i will dearly miss Ric! I’ve been out of touch for a long, long time; & i
missed the send off of brother Ric @ Alamos! However he will be there to greet me when i finally get to surf there in 2012! I remember taking Ric out to Banzai in 1965, in my 1948 Chevy panel wagon! It was nice @ first and that was Ric’s first time out! He had a few good waves & i could see he felt good, but not in his comfort zone! That’s how it is, your first time out @ the Banzai! The waves started to build and Ric caught one wave and went in. I stayed out with Butch Van Artsdalen & this guy from Paru named Sergio & we got the best of it, that day! Needless to say, Ric had put that Banzai experience in his been there done that book, & i being the young kid i was, take honor in having shared that experience with Ric!
I share this surf experience with all those that knew Eric Parker.
With Regards, Stanley “Savage” Park
PS: Stories of Ala Moana & Surf parties with Ric to come later. Also people, like Gonzi & Jackic Eberly; before i get to old & forgetful!
ONE LOVE, PEOPLE!!!

PS: why is everyone so incognito with their User name?

Cultural insecurity Stanley!

You, PPK, and others don’t suffer from it!

MF

Hey Stanley!  We're all circling the drain,  so let's paddle out one more time while we still can.

Howzit McDing,Take it from someone who can't paddle out any more,get out there as many times as you can because for some there will be a time when you can't do it any longer. I really miss the best thing that ever happened to me in this life and hope that some day I will be able to surf again. Aloha,Kokua

Hey guy!,
Now that I’m retired, from Hawaiian Tug & Barge as of 28th July 2011! I’ve been in the water doing stand up surfing, surf permitting of course, like the old days for me! I can not get enough! I know, i know, oh another sweeper, good Lord, the Savage crossed the line. But wait, hold on guy! Rich Harbour just finished making me a nose rider & i pick it up tomorrow, from United Air Freight, arrival @ Honolulu 1100, so i should get it by 1400. So yeah, I’ll be looking forward to some nice little lefts anywhere! No drama just happiness, for me.
Aloha from the islands<<<<>>>>
PS: why is everyone so incognito with their User name? Do we wait till we pass on to reveil who we are(?), in The Memorium pages? For me “Life is Good”!!!

Hey guy!,
Now that I’m retired, from Hawaiian Tug & Barge as of 28th July 2011! I’ve been in the water doing stand up surfing, surf permitting of course, like the old days for me! I can not get enough! I know, i know, oh another sweeper, good Lord, the Savage crossed the line. But wait, hold on guy! Rich Harbour just finished making me a nose rider & i pick it up tomorrow, from United Air Freight, arrival @ Honolulu 1100, so i should get it by 1400. So yeah, I’ll be looking forward to some nice little lefts anywhere! No drama just happiness, for me.
Aloha from the islands<<<<>>>>
PS: why is everyone so incognito with their User name? Do we wait till we pass on to reveil who we are(?), in The Memorium pages? For me “Life is Good”!!!

So you were the guy I used to watch along the Maui West Shore skyline headin' South to the Big Island?  Barge and containers in tow?   Lowel

Savage! You buggah! Long time no hear nor see you around brah! Sad to hear about Eric. What a smooth, capable surfer, ANYWHERE he surf’d. You bring up some old names, my friend from years gone by and luckily, some of are still here. Queens, Pop’s, #3’s, Kaisers, Ala Mo, Garbage Hole. We were lucky, growing up as kids in those days. Our “Uncles” on the beach, all of the Waikiki Beachboys were our mentors. We gleened, learned and took a few “cracks”, if we didn’t listen. We also lost “Zoobadee Lau” last year. Paul Strauch, my brother Joe and the San Onofre Hawaiian Surf Club did his services for his daughters there. Harold “Iggy” Ige, just passed a week and a half ago. Harold services are pending around the last part of this month, 28th or 29th on Oahu. I’ll fly in from Kaua’i.

I haven’t posted here in quite some time, take a peek in here and find you posting. And whats funny, I saw some old footage of you surfing, Pipeline in the early days with Jock, David & Butch. The commentator said you got the name “savage” because you were so “dark complected” … lol … well, I got my nicname “Pope”, from Barry, small kid time, because I, was so dark complected too. Was short for popolo … lol …

We’re loosing some of our old friends Stanley, were getting up in years and it’s wonderful to touch bases with you, even if it’s in this fashion… Braddah Midget Farley, is here as well and still, always the gentleman. You were one of the best "goofy’s to ever, come out of Hawaii, Stanley in the 60’s, along with Donald, David, Jock, Harry Sanoda, & we certainly can’t forget Butch, because he was a braddah to the end.

You made me smile, this morning brah! Da “chicken skin” kine smile! What a wonderful surprise to find you again.

Aloha No,

Peter “Pope” Kahapea

Hey Peter da “Pope” Kahapea,
How are you Hawaiian? It’s been forever, since i last laid my maka on you! Thank you for the kind words, I’m floore by them! Actually it’s the other way around Hawaiian, you are the elder waterman and i wish to send you my respect! I always liked your style of Surfing, agressively carefree paddle in take off, drop knee cutbacks, cross over steps to the nose always knowing you in control of yourself and your board. (I think of Kui Lee & his songs that he left behind for us). The days of Waikiki & Ala Moana, with Barry Kanaiaupuni ripping & cranking Queens to Conrad Cunha taking off deep in overhead Ala Moana and just powering through the corner bowl at mid tide. We can not forget Jackie Eberly, Gonzey, Zoobadee, Ric Parker, Buzzy Knewbel (spell check here), just to name a few, all the older guys i have & had so much respect for back in “'the Days of Our Youth”. Also now Donald Takiyama has returned home to his first Love Ala Moana and it will be a thrill for me and others to see a “Legend” do his thing at Alamo’s! For those of you that i have left out, i mean no slight; please check in if you will, it’s never been about Ego’s but more importantly about friendship and what we love to do “Surf”; it’s the “Hawaiian Way”! So bradda Pete, thank you for loggin in, it’s been a long road and as the saying goes “Life is Good”!
Aloha, Stanley

I can still Rick surfing in my mind. The most wonderful days in my life. I never really knew how much surfing and those days

ment to me tell just a few years ago. I look back now, Im 70, Not one day goes by that i dont think about those days.

I loved Rick, Buzzy, Barry, all of them. Surfing is as close to heaven on earth as you can get. It was a gift from God

that I was able to be a part of that time and those people. Life was so simple than. Stanley, Aloha, You lead a good life,

Its not that easy to do. I hope you live long and wish I could surf with you.  Chris Green