Hiring a laminator in San Diego. Minimal experience preferred.

Sorry. I know this is a design forum, but I couldn’t find a better place to advertise.

I’m looking for someone to work 1 day per week on my research surfboards.  I’m a Phd student of Structural Engineering at UCSD.  My research is in fluid-structure interaction.  I build a couple boards each week.

You would primarily be laminating surfboards, but occasionally you would be hand finishing machine-cut blanks and finning them.

Lam shop is in Oceanside.  You can work whenever you have free time.

Preferred Qualifications:

-have laminated between 10 and 100 boards

-know how to solve scalar and vector differential equations

contact me at: benjamin@boardformula.com

Thanks!!

Benjamin

I can do the diff equations, but I’ll need some help on finish sanding off a machined shape. I will also need $0.51 per mile from Tampa.

And I have references. After a fashion. And you won’t hurt my feelings if you pick another math major. It’s a long drive. And my wife would be pissed. I guess. I know my dog would. Actually, i would need a place for my dog since i wouldn’t want to piss them both off. Although, iff there was any chance my wife would be pissed with my leaving, taking the stupid dog would clinch it. But don’t get me started because that is half the reason I would take the dang job. She who must not be pissed. Right. Even the dog knows better than to pisss her off. If he knew i took the job and was moving to San Diego, he would beat me to the car.

As i think about it, I might need some post marriage counciling ( isthat with an i or an e?). Engineers and math majors are supposed to be good at counciling, since we are all so logical. Just not so good on spelling. So, you know how to reach me. And let me knoww if i need to bring my TI85 with the graphing option.

OMG, you're KILLING me Greg!!!  I sense there is an overlying force in your life, can't quite pinpoint it though.

Almost forgot Benjamin's request for a Laminator...  ...I meet the specs except the number of boards done and

the fact that I have no time to spare, but I digress...

I gots no spare time neither, I’m busier than a cucumber in a women’s prison

Greg, that gave me a good laugh.  Thanks!

Hi Benjamin,

Are there no undergrads at UCSD that meet your criteria?  Students that need a bit of money?

Greg,

What does logic have to do with male/female relationships?  Besides, I recommend you keep your lovely wife happy.  I doubt a guy with your looks will ever land another beauty like her!  Mike

[quote="$1"]

I gots no spare time neither, I'm busier than a cucumber in a women's prison

[/quote]

funny stuff Jim

Benjamin! I don't get the need for a laminator to understand some kind of differential equations, please feed the punch line next!  Maybe you could advertize over at the university math dept. for a differential equation guy who also laminates :)     And I'm hoping your project keeps going good, the data you've put out so far looks valuable.    And now after some deeper thought I realize that after the poor result of my last lam job I'd better think about brushing up my differential equations  so these laminating jobs will turn out better :)

Ben, glad you laughed.  Keep up the good work.

Mike, speaking of laughing, I LMAO over your remark about my wife.  I forgot you met her.  I love her and she is a keeper.  Just joking. Of course, I’d love any women who makes more money than me.  If I recall correctly, you might have the same gig going.

Yup, same gig.  A lot more.  Ahhh… life as a ‘liberated man.’  Yah, right. Just joking, too.  Sort of…Mike

I think maybe Benjamin knows he needs someone with a little more intelligence, not only better conversation during work hours, they may understand the necessity to laminate accurately and consistently. Whether they can actually do it or not is another question..... but I'd much rather teach someone smart, as long as they listen and do what they are told.

So by hiring an unskilled laminator what are you trying to prove?  Skilled laminators do such a better job than someone who is a hack.  100 boards and your still not sure how to catalyze correctly for the conditions, let alone know how to apply the correct  resin to fabric ratios for each different substrate.  Unbelievable, and by doing so you will prove what?  I’m calling BS.  So I guess if you sound intelligent and talk about things nobody knows about you get a Phd.  

gheto i can only say i totally agree .       but then that would not surprise most on here haa’’

cheers huie

I’m not sure why anyone would care what kind of person I would hire for my research.

I’ve gotten really good responses from die-hard surfers.  Please continue to bump me!  angry or stoked, I’ll take the bump.

Well, people care because we are constantly being told(not by the board building crowd, necessarily) the research shows this or that and we should therefore believe this or that when the research is shitty and doesn’t show anything or is bogus.  So your working on a Phd. and a guy who knows something about board building is already punching holes in your research.  Ghetto raises a really good point.  Why would you use an amateur when you could use a pro?  Just wondering.  Mike

Mike,

I once heard that a Phd. is a person that has studied more and more, about less and less, until they know almost everything, about almost nothing!    Does that fit, or does piled higher & deeper work better?   Just wondering.

Hi Bill,

Either description is probably accurate in many cases.  However, I continue to be optimistic and have tremendous respect for intelligence and education.  What might be needed in this case is a bit more humility from Benjamin and consider the comments from someone who may have a different type of education ie. a lifetime of board building.  After all, Benjamin did post his inquiry on the WWW to what is essentially a hobbyist chat site.  What does he expect?  Mike

Howzit rooster, What I don't understand is why ask for a novice when there are quite a few really good laminators here. Another thing is I know that when I first joined it was mostly quality board builders on the site and not a lot of people wanting to learn how to build a board. Aloha,Kokua

Maybe Benjamin wants to research how long it takes, with proper training to teach an intelligent novice to be competent.  Really guys, play nice!