Natural Design Surfboards San Clemente CA

Hi,  I’m wondering if any of you have some history on “Natural Design Surfboards”  out of san Clemente CA.  I’m getting my hands on a 6’10" winged pin tail natural design and I’m just curious as to who was shaping these boards back then?  I know midget smith was a shaper for them in the early days but this board seems way to late to be one of his shapes.  it’s gotta be 1976 or later that this board was made anjd according to the info I’ve found Midget smith only shaped for them a short time back in 1972. if anyone has some light to shine on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you. 

some pics of the board always helps

I don't mean to highjack Shaggy's thread, but this timing is great.  I also just picked up a Natural Design board this week and have found very little info about them.  I bought this board mainly for the Jack Meyer airbrush work.  The board has G&S Star System fins, so it has to be late 70s / early 80s vintage.  Someone actually cut the tips off the swallow tail and I'll need to fix that, but otherwise the board is in pretty good shape.  So, like Shaggy said, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Well the one I picked up is a jim fuller shape (awesome)  but unfortunately it’s warpped like a cork screw, probably from being in the rafters of the guys house for years and constantly heating up and cooling down each year… I was bummed to see the damage when I got it home and into the light of my garage but at least I only traded it for an computer I had laying around and the guy has agreed to give me the board and some money for the computer… pretty cool of him I would say.  I wish it was a rider but I guess it’s just a wall hanger at best.  as far as your board goes I’m not sure who else shaped for them … I know midget smith and jim fuller but I havent found any more info on them.  Good luck that board looks sweet. 

Midget smith shaped for them in the early 70’s … years before your board was made… that one could be a jim fuller… I’ve got a south shore twin from 79-81 (not 100% sure but I know it’s within that era) shaped by jim fuller with a real flat deck and thick rails like that… bummer about the swallow tail being modified into a square tail but at least there is airbrushed color there so you can reconstruct the swallows and then airbrush the hotcoat before glossing… you wont even notice it after that.  Peace

Thanks for the info Shaggy.  If I dig up anything else, I'll post it.

Ray

Sucks here, as Midget Smith, Jack Meyers, and Jim Fuller were my friends.  I went to Midget and Jim’s memorials, but missed Jack’s, what an airbrusher.  They were all colorful people.  

Jeff “midget” Smith was the original San Clemente pier rat, and the look in his eyes near the end I will never forget, it was an honor to help him then.

I remember when Jack got the OP account, and how his life changed, but he was still so cool and down to earth.

i was thinking about Jim today as I was shaping, he could do production, back in the day, but could have used deodorant.  He used to have a tv in his shaping room, to watch the soap operas.

I was telling Dave Daum yesterday I hear voices, and those are some of the voices I hear, and will cherish those guys and what I learned from and shared with them.

Howzit gr, I was good friends with 2 of Midgets cousins and one of them had the same cancer as I did but then it spread to his liver and since he had hep C there was nothing they could do for him and he passed away last spring or early summer. Mary Lou was there and I guess things had been tough for her with Midget dying and then her cousin Gordon. I never knew Midget had died til I was at Gordon's memorial at Hanalei Bay so I understood why Mary Lou was having a hard time. ALoha,Kokua

What was weird was going t his fundraisers at  the two bars i n San Clemente.  The first one where Mike Ness played at was so crowded I couldn’t get in even on a vip list becuse the FD shut entry down.  So I made it a point to get to the next one early.  It was standing room only, and the look in his eyes was hard to process, he was really having fun, I gave him a hug, and he teared up.  It was poignantt and it was like he knew.  My friend Maurice who owns EDIT was with him close to the end, and it was hard for him to talk about.  

Looking at the photo it looks to have a old South Shore Glassing logo on the tail.

There is an "SS Glassing" lam.  I assume thats South Shore.  Can anyone provide any info on South Shore; I'm not familiar with them.

There's also a serial number (80352) beside the SS Glassing lam.  Would that be board number 352 made in 1980?

Thanks again,

Ray

At one time South Shore was the most productive surfboard factory in the world, and Jim Fuller was the shaper, as in thee shaper.  Jim died in around 2005 because he liked to drink, even with a severe case of diabetes; that’s what got him in the end.  Hell of a nice guy, and as big a personality as anyone, and a voice to match.  Sad that even someone smart enough to go to UCR on scholarship couldn’t exercise the wisdom to stop drinking with his condition, and there are many who miss him or don’t because of his folly.

Yeah The late 70’s early 80’s jim fuller twin I have is one of the best boards I’ve ever had and it was a trash can score when I was 14… I loved it so much i’ve held on to it for 16 years…just had it resotred 6 months ago…I am gonna get a template from it in the end.  I guess thats why I was so stoked to get the natural design and didn’t look the rocker over before I got it home… it is a jim fuller shape too but unfortunately way too twisted to even attempt a ride on it.   Thanks for the info I was just trying to see who the “main” shaper for natural design was and a little history on them but all roads seem to lead back to Jim Fuller for me… too bad he’s not with us any more or I’d get a enw shape from the guy. 

My dad just found his Natural Design Board at his parents house.  He rode it one time the day he bought it and it has been put away in an extra room ever since.  The board is a mid to late 70’s model.  Its a 7 ’ 6 " with a serial number of 78078.  It appears brand new.  It has a Jerry Lopez leash attached to it.  Here are some pictures:

pics cont.

last one

Hi,

I’m looking for help on this board I just bought and the only info I searched led me to this so I just signed up after lurking for a longtime haha. It’s 7 ft long, no leash plug, no signature or initials , just the serial # 2066 written vertically on the stringer. Trying to figure out what year, who may have done the pin lines and airbrush ( Late Jack Meyer?) or the shaper (Late Midget Smith, Terry Martin, Jim Fuller?)

Much Thanks!

What a beauty! God I wish I was 15 again! Shitty wetsuit and no leash. At least I could swim! My best friend had a similar board early 70’s. I love that logo…

Hahaha I wish I was a teen too! Getting old sucks. Dealing with a broken big toe and I can’t surf…This board is in really good condition. It has a couple dings and shatters. No delam and the board is straight as an arrow. Gonna fix her back up soon and take her for a spin when my toe is healed. Thanks for replying so soon!

Two features on this board really narrow down the age. No leash plug means older than about 1975-76. Winged outline means newer than 72-73. Pretty safe to assume the board was made right around 1973-74.