Kauai Shapers + Goods

Moved to Kauai recently and I was wondering if people could shoot out names with regard to local shapers that specialize in performance shortboards.

Yeah, I know Tamba and Mike Wellman, how about others? Also, if one was to shape a board, what is the FiberglassHawaii equivalent on the island? 

Thanks, 

RW

Check out Will Scovel from south shore Koloa. i have seen his boards and they are sick. the Logo is a truck i am not sure of his contact info but will try to get it 

reefwalker,

Kauai has more than a few very good shapers. As for me, given my past experiences with his talents, I would definitely contact Mark Angell and order a board from him. My advice is contact Mark and talk with him regarding what you are looking for in a board. 

I have no reservations referring you to Mark, as every board he has shaped for me has been excellent.

2nd that on Mark Angell.our loss on Maui,since he moved there some years back.

max mederios

REX

terry chung

dick brewer

steve lis

robin mair

you have to find a an island rep/distributor since their no retail outlet most stuff is barged to kauai.

Howzit reefwalker, There is also Terry Chung,Mark Sausen AKA Papa Sau, Ian Vernon who is Sunburnt Surfboards, Robin Moire,Jon Riddle,Rick Holt, Dave Implomb,Jeff lopez,Russel Lewis. . I can give you the phone numbers of Mark Angell ,Mark Sausen,Ian vernon, and a few others and just PM me if you want their numbers. I glassed a lot of their boards or made their Lams and I know there are more there but I just can't remeber their names and don't forget Ambrose but I don't know if he is doing short boards these days and Steve Lis if you want a fish. there is also Randy Sleigh but he is having some serious health issues now and I don't know if he is going to shape anymore. Aloha,Kokua

I tryed talking To Lis out in the water. Not much there.

"EBERT"   http://ebertsurfboards.com/ebertwordpress/

KGB   http://www.kgbhawaii.com/

SCOVEL    Scovel Surfboards Kauai

PO Box 1435, Lihue, HI 96766 (808) 652-7929 ()

I second Terry Chun (Chung?) near Kilauea on north side of island.

Performance shortboards...?  Terry Chung, here in Kilauea

Mark Angel is shaping some nice boards. You can catch him most times in the afternoon down at BlackPot, in Hanalei. Stevie Lis will talk shop down at BlackPot as well, but not in the water. He just got back from shaping boards in San Diego. He shapes here on the north shore. I believe there's only one or two glassers on the Island for all the boards shaped here on Kaua'i. Don't you post on the erBB as well?

check out Kalihiwai this winter or good sized Hanalei. Alot of the local regs, drive Terry Chun boards, especially if the freight train is rolling through the Bay, or flat out pitching, Kalihiwai.

Max Mederous, if you can find him.

Howzit Peter,So glad to see you on the site and I hate the fact that I can never remember how to spell Kilauea so I could put that with Terrys name since he was always the one I had shape my boards, Yeah if someone doesn't know Stevie then they will most likely have to wait til he is out of the water to talk about surfboards. I hope you and Deb are doing great these days and Sau is supposed to talk to charlie for me about getting some Longboard contest t-shirts. Did you emcee it again this year,I sure missed not being there for it this year and Sau tried to get me to come and judge it but you know how it is when it comes to is it on or off and I just don't have the time to sit and wait for it to happen since I coud be there till the fall. I talked to charlie but he was packing for a trip and didn't have time to talk story about the tees. Have you heard about Randy Sleigh since I just found out yesterday and I am bummed. Sounds like he is going to go through the same thing that Gordon did. Take care my good friend and I hope to see you guys before to long. By the way did Edwards brother and wife show up since they were gong to try living there for a year to see if they want to retire there. Aloha,Wildog

thank you very much for all the replies

met Lance out in the water the last good swell on the westside. Nice, cruise man. He got some pretty good barrels despite the challenging conditions. I was quite impressed with his surfing.

Think I’ll hit him up for a board or two :slight_smile:

Howzit reefwalker,I used to print his logos for a while then gave him the data on a disc so he could print his own. He used to work for Mike Wellman as a Glasser I believe but shaped boards himself and was pretty darned good at it and that was probably 7-8 years ago. Aloha,Kokua

Hi All,

Wondering if someone here might be able to help me track down Larry Stada. He was formerly a shaper for Channin/Diffenderfer. I have an old chambered (maybe completely hollow?) board. If teh “attachment” thing works you’ll be able to see a recent photo fo the board. I’d like to get more info.

Thanks!

Sorry, “Strada”. Board is approximately 7’6", SUPER light and in amazing condition apart from some small rot at teh nose. No serial number, lust “Strada” on stringer and “Channin/Diffenderfer” laminate.

strada was on maui

maybe on the big island

now…

…ambrose…

Thanks Ambrose. If anyone out there has a telephone or email for Larry Strada it wold be super helpful. I’m deciding what to do with this board (restore?) and would like a little history before attacking it.