Mixing Acrylic Paint in Resin

Can acrylic paint like Nova Color paint be mixed in with poly resin to get the same effect as the resin tints bought from Foam EZ or Fiberglass Supply?

yes - as long as you're using water based resin

(it was a just a joke)

Any difference with acrylic paint or is that basically the same thing as the “resin tint” Im buying from the aforementioned suppliers?

I can't give you the chemical breakdown, but there is a big difference.  Why would you want to mix acrylic paint in resin?  If you want to paint the board, paint it before glassing.  I have glassed over acrylic paint without any problems numerous times (using epoxy resin). 

If you want to tint the resin, use resin tint that is designed for that application.

There are probably a few tints / dyes that might be compatible with certain resins, but I doubt acrylic paint would work as a tint in any resin.

If in doubt, do a test mix and see what you get.

Hello Huck

The guy took the time to log on as SHIT FACE. no reply. Crank. lame.joke,suffer mag jokestr.

The guy also knows where to buy the products he needs. crank /prank/lame/ not a real man. not a real Craftsman.

No....just a SHIT FACE. Take a hike shit face

Stingray

Acrylic works well with epoxy ....just dont overdo it when adding it in or the mix will remain in a semi plasticised state.....I have some really nice maleable tub impressions from some experiements...lol

Sparx

Ok, I’ll stick with mixing in resin tint. Im using poly resin. Was hoping acrylic would work because there’s alot more color options but can just mix the resin tints to get the desired color.

Sorry you dont like my username stingray. I’ll change it or make a new one if it bothers anyone else.

There are some really good threads with awesome photos here, if you search for resin tints and painting surfboards.  Also look at what ambrose and nicholas mirandon are doing with resin as an art medium.

Once you get outside the box, into uncharted waters, you have to do test runs, and see what works with the materials you're using.  Acrylic paint is generally water-based, so not a great compatibility with resin.  Someone said they did mix small amounts with epoxy resin.  Might compromise the strength or durability, 'tho, you wouldn't know that from a small test.

Can you post some pics of your work, and maybe describe what type of artwork or look you're wanting to produce?

http://dreamvillager.com/article~info~Arts-Local-Artist-Showcase-A-Master-of-Resin-Painting~articleID~468.htm

shit face,

Never did it and would never try it.  Water based acrylic(don’t know if there’s any other kind) mixed with a petroleum product(resin).  Oil and water don’t mix and I would never put water in my resin. Any kind of resin.

shitface isn’t the worst user name I’ve read.  I prefer assface.  The look a cat gives you when it doesn’t like it’s food or the librarian gives you when you place a book on the wrong shelf.

I don’t like sting rays, but I like The Sting Ray cuz his heart is gold and he’s fun to party with. Mike

[quote="$1"]

Sorry you dont like my username stingray. I'll change it or make a new one if it bothers anyone else.

[/quote]

Have a little self-respect...Pull yourself up out of the gutter. Be a Real Man. Take pride in yourself and your work. My name is Raymond. I'm proud of my name.  I take the time to do things right.....

I work my ass off to take care of my family...I love to party on the weekends.

You Log on as SHITFACE.....how low can you go....I bet you wear dirty underware too.

Stingray

In agreement with sparx on a couple of points.  I’ve used acrylic with epoxy resin for a few years on both artwork and boards and it can work great especially if you’re trying to achieve specific colors.  Mix it with the resin before adding your hardner as usual.  You probably are messing with the chemical composition and I’ve had bad batches attempting solid black, so if you’re after something opaque acrylic might not be the thing.  Spend the money on good stuff (like Golden).  There’s more pigment in the mix.  

The guy at the paint store uses pigments to get custom colors.  I've used some of those to tint polyester resin.  Not sure what type of base material it is but it wasn't specifically for resin.

I’m in the process of completing my Balsa Board. I’ll spare you a long story about getting the wood and fiberglass supplies here in CR. it seems that some boat and board builders have cornered the market on fiberglass supplies down here.

My question is, will using water acrylics for pigment in an epoxy fin panel be ok?

If you mean water-based acrylic paints, not advisable to mix them into your petroleum-based resin, whether epoxy or poly.

Love that board!

Thought so… just trying to save some gas…
thanks for your reply

you can spray the panel with acrylic paint…let it dry throughly, then cover it with epoxy resin. Don’t ever mix anything into epoxy except epoxy pigments or tints.

All of my epoxy color jobs are done on top of the sanded hot coat. I sand hot coat finish smooth to 320 then, paint the design, then I cover the art work with a 2 part automotive clear coat.

Yes been having trouble with the epoxy beading up over my pin lines ect automotive clear coat interesting… still hard to get the right things down here in CR thanks