Jimbo passes into the Panamanian Sun

Jim Huerbsch, better known as Jimbo was one of the first “Panamaniacs” I got to know back in the early 70’s. 

We took the ride out to early day Santa Catalina with Ken Myers joined by Munchiken, Kiki, Flea, and the rest of the local crew that would disappear back to the Canal Zone for the work week, or school, or whatever other duties they had to tend to.

The rest of us would camp out at the bohio for as longas the ice and food and cevezas would last paddling out to empty barrels and unforgettable moments of our youth. Jimbo was there; outrageous, funny, and unpredictable. He was full of life, and never a dull moment.  His passing comes as a surprise to me… he was just so full of life that it seemed his light would never dim much less burn out. 

May he ride the eternal wave that continues to burn brightly in that place our thoughts come from…

A shot of Jimbo hamming it up on a 5’7" twinnie i made a long long time ago. And the man himself, not to be forgotten…

Howzit DS,Sorry to hear about your friend and I know how it is since I have lost way to many the last few years and I wonder why I got to stay alive when my friends just passed away and most of them had heart attacks or committed suicide. If you know Randy Sleigh, he has been diagnosed with cancer of the liver and they gave him about a year to live so I hear he is making the best of it these days. Aloha,Mike

I guess we are at the age that you start to look around and there are less and less friends that you paddled out and rode with.

It’s inevitable.

When we are young we feel immortal. 

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It’s the fragile thread that ties us together in stronger bonds of friendship.

Friendships that transcend words, that make us who we are, and who we would like to be.

We accept our friends for their strengths and inherent weaknesses.

To error, is human.

But all of us live within ‘the human condition’ that seeks immortality in youth only to give up the wisdom that we are not infinite… we are a candle in the wind, and the random breeze that crosses our path may snuff us out at its very whim.

I have kissed death and gone thru the vibrant blue tunnel that others call DEATH… that is why my avator is “Deadshaper”… the crossing over is quite easy, there is the absence of GRAVITY,  but as I will attest, the bitch is in falling back to Earth, with the harsh  but comforting grounding… and reluctingly accepting to put one foot in front of another in that exercise we call…

LIFE.

My own clinically reported death attests to what I speak here… take it to heart and do not fear death in a no touch, death phobia society… Death can be your friend… to this I know to be true… and yet, I expect you to cling to that thing called:

…“LIFE”.

Lots of us can say “I’ve really lived, but how many of you can say I’ve really died?”

Deadshaper - my condolences to your friend -Jim. FYI -i too lost a friend and it happened so unexpectedly it was difficult to understand! i didnt want believe it was true. I even discovered a beautiful hs young women i knew a little died 15 yrs ago! It was a total shock.these people i would think would outlive 60 np at all! Let us Hope they are traveling into a new life on the other side if that’s possible? And when it’s our time to go - they will greet us with open arms leading us to the other side when our physical body can no longer be. But let’s hope we can be good to our fellow man, women or child and help them be better humans in a world full of greed, hatred and evil. P.s. : Bruce - you sound like good people! Good luck to you -Bruce.