Surfboards Hawaii Stylist II

I have a request to attempt (as a backyard hack, it is always an attempt) to reproduce a late 60s Stylist II.  The guy is adamant that it was 6'8".  My recollection of the Stylist II was a transitional 8'+ to 9'+ pintail.  How long did SH build the Sylist II?  Did they build into the early 70s and maybe at sub 7'?   I will admit that in the late 60s and early 70s I was more tuned to riding than building, so I could have missed it.  Thanks for any help.

Tim

Tim If the board was infact a 6’8", it must have been a mutant one off, as I have never seen one in 45 years.

That aside, a pin tail, more pin than rounded pin, with a 17 " nose, scale it down to the width of the 6’8’ and go from there, it isn’t going to look like the 9 footers anyway

i had a 7'6" stylist II and an 8'6" stylist II in high school. the 7.6 was the smallest i ever  saw but who knows if they made any smaller. the stylist II is a fairly unique shape. that is the vintage ones have some subtle things going on. haven't seen a newer one up close. what are you using for a template? 

Just scored one of these off eBay, it was restored by Randy Rarick.  Great outline, pintail, heavy glasses, wedge foam stringer, rolled bottom with pinched 50/50 rails, Bahne fin. 

Nice board and very rideable.  RR does a great job on restores.

So, you got this one for $995? Not a bad price, as long as it’s not a strip/reglass job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1968-Surfboards-Hawaii-Stylist-II-Model-W-A-V-E-Set-Fin-Wedge-Stringer/154107145374?hash=item23e1806c9e:g:tEEAAOSwj1hfQwKe

Funny how they say it has a Waveset fin. It’s a first generation Fins Unlimited.

The Stylist was originally a longboard in the 9’ plus range. As I recall, it had a square tail. The Stylist II was the same size range, but a pintail. Both were in production around 1966-67.

Like many other boards in the transition years, the model name was carried over into shorter shapes. Weber, Hansen, and a few others did the same thing.

Early 1968 ad for Surfboards Hawaii. Stylist 1, squaretail… Stylist 2, pintail.

By the time this ad came out boards had begun to drop below 9 feet but full size longboards were still being advertised.

Wow! Thanks so much for that!!! I’ve been looking for some information on the board